Any dvd/youtube/book recommendations?

Adsy83

I'm going on an an intensive plastering course next year (which I know seem to get a hard time on here) so that I can work on my own house.

Anyone got any good dvd / book /youtube channel recommendations so I can prepare a bit before the course?

Chears.

Welcome

reading posts on here will be as much help as you can get... lots of great advice... but for a beginner the hardest part is learning to use a hawk and trowel :D if you can get some practice using that before the course then you will be ahead of the game :D

Just be careful of information overload...and wrist watches!

You don't need a fancy trowel and loads of fangled gear to get good results.

I'm going on an an intensive plastering course next year (which I know seem to get a hard time on here) so that I can work on my own house.

Anyone got any good dvd / book /youtube channel recommendations so I can prepare a bit before the course?

Chears.
Welcome.The answer is no,there’s no book or DVD to prepare you for a plastering course.It’s like Stephen Hawkins watching Chariots of Fire.

Chears.
Welcome along.
As the lads say the books wouldn't be much use to you. It's as much about the feel of the trowel and experience wich you only gain through practice

Chears.

the money it will cost you for a plastering course and the tools required, it will be cheaper to employ a plasterer then you will add value to your house.

the money it will cost you for a plastering course and the tools required, it will be cheaper to employ a plasterer then you will add value to your house.
When im being quoted £1000 per room to skim I'll take my chances. But thanks for your reply :)

When im being quoted £1000 per room to skim I'll take my chances. But thanks for your reply :)

Cheap quotes in my eyes as well... obviously don't know the sizes but that's what the prices should be....

Do the course and enjoy it and let us know how you get on

Do the course mate (imagine it's 5 days), plenty of coats of pva so you don't struggle for time and you'll be fine, just do one wall at a time....£1000 per room is just someone on the rob, it's a days work

Chears.
An orange book by j.b Taylor on plastering is the best tenner you'll ever spend.

We live in a world of choice......if £1000 seems a bit expensive, then by all means, get on a course so you can diy. I imagine you’ll be on a mechanics course the moment your motor lets you down, and diy dentistry and heart surgery are all on the up nowadays.........

I have no idea what you do for a living, but I don’t think anyone here would belittle your worth.

You could, of course, just get another quote. Unless you live in a castle or ballroom, you might get a cheaper quote. But don’t ring me.

Good luck anyway, I expect you’ll be back to ask some questions from time to time during your course. There will plenty of help available here.

I don't understand why people get upset when someone trys to Diy and learn a skill themselves.

It would be illegal for someone to do my job without extensive training and the qualifications.. Plastering however is not illegal to try so people are going to try and learn.

If I end up making a mess it's no big deal.. I just pull down the plasterboard down and try again.

I don't understand why people get upset when someone trys to Diy and learn a skill themselves.

It would be illegal for someone to do my job without extensive training and the qualifications.. Plastering however is not illegal to try so people are going to try and learn.

If I end up making a mess it's no big deal.. I just pull down the plasterboard down and try again.
The answer is probably in what you just said, “extensive training and the qualifications” to be a good plasterer is not as easy as you think although not illegal to try sometimes it’s easier and better in the end to go out and earn the money doing what you do to pay someone to do what they do for a living

That’s fine then.
I wonder if the years and effort you spent completing your extensive training endows you with a perceived guaranteed income or “worth”..........it would seem that mine doesn’t.

Are you a bus driver?