Another lab bites the dust!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
Seem to be going through labs like there is no tomorrow, defo thinking of getting youngen as that's what wage would suit.

Any advice on finding and keeping a decent lab/app?

why have you gone through so many? might give us an idea what might suit you[/

Some wont get up, some lazy, one f**k*r is a thief which very nearly lost me a contact!! But he was a hard grafter an would have gone all the way! Such a shame, I dropped there money from £50 to £30 cash, as I can't afford as I'm sure you know to be paying £50 cash when it's pretty much dead money.. £30 is my limit as I'm looking train one up. What do you pay labs/app? I pick them up they all say do you want me to meet you at yours, I always say I will pick you on way, maybe I'm to soft?

The last one was a PD sort of, I said when he started I can't promise full time week in week out as work is still picking up for me, he said he was happy with that at the start then 2 weeks on said he's not happy with £30, so I said fine no worries. Again I think a youngen is the way to go??

Tbh he didn't have any commitments he lived at home etc.

maybe I shouldn't be so open with them?

cheers

Get a young lad. Preferably one you know abit about before hand. Tell them to meet you at yours. Tell them when you say be there for half 7 it means be there before then not get there at half 7. Tell them how much you're paying them. Explain why its set at what it is and that its up to them to prove they are worth more. Tell them if they finish early they get paid a full day but also if you require them to work an hour later they dont get extra money. Make sure they realise they are there primarily to make your life easier and then to learn.

Get a young lad. Preferably one you know abit about before hand. Tell them to meet you at yours. Tell them when you say be there for half 7 it means be there before then not get there at half 7. Tell them how much you're paying them. Explain why its set at what it is and that its up to them to prove they are worth more. Tell them if they finish early they get paid a full day but also if you require them to work an hour later they dont get extra money. Make sure they realise they are there primarily to make your life easier and then to learn.

So for sure I'm being to soft, cheers beddy will run with that! :RpS_thumbup:

My old gaffas lab used to be loading my gear to the hawk when doing ceilings and id be stood there for a good 30 seconds with an empty hawk and watch him texting right next to me lol

Yeah, far too soft.. I was getting £20 a day when I was labbing for my mate during college holls. Was a good laugh though and we're now business partners :RpS_thumbup:

Trouble is with this bloody recession I sometimes think I was better off on £20 a day - at least it was gaurenteed :huh:

My old gaffas lab used to be loading my gear to the hawk when doing ceilings and id be stood there for a good 30 seconds with an empty hawk and watch him texting right next to me lol
That's the trouble with some folks today.. I pick my phone up and have a look if I get a text/email - only because it might be a job. They should stick the phone in a case and put it out of reach on a windowsill etc. I keep mine in my pocket cos I used to forget the sodding thing and leave it on a job (old Nokia 8230 - far too small lol, my mate dropped his out of his pocket and ran over it in the van pmsl)

Oh **** that **** had one of them before!! Doing a big ceiling 2 handboards on the go and the prick stood there on the phone!! :mad:

Spanky, You need to set the ground rules right from the start. Tell them that they are not allowed to use their phone. Give your number to their parents and if there is an emergency then they can call you directly.

£30 is not much to pay a labourer: you will find it difficult to keep a loyal worker on that wage. In addition, the absence of continuous work will give them less incentive to remain with you: no one likes to be out of pocket and nor will your labourer.

£30 is fine for a young lad who lives with his parents. No kids etc. At the end of a day we can still do the job wih or without them.

For an adult £40 in hand and benefits. Ask for anymore and they can go screw themselves. Free rent, council tax and a giro plus £200 will put them on a lot more than us!

For a lad at home then £30 a day cash in the danny is enough. But if he starts on the trowel he will want more. Fine if he actually helps you also to make more.

Big problem that mobile phone business. I have a bloke that every minute he can he is on bbm. Never a lost minute. But we have all given him a hard time over it so now it is when we are not working like tea breaks etc. What they say is they receive messages and it is ignorant not to reply. They have to read the message in case it is an emergency. Well ok. But if it isn't an emergency then simply ignore them. While ever you are replying they will keep messaging. It is always the girl friends or partners. I sometimes wonder what impression they have given their women of the job they do. While ever they are texting they must have the time to do it so is there a problem?

I had one labourer in 07 who thought no employer had the right to stop him messaging whenever he wanted. He demanded messaging with pay! He was on his way at the end of the day. Can you imagine stood in Tesco's queue at the check out and the till assistant is on the phone? To many emplyees are getting away with this phone crap.

i use to pay my old labourer £25.00 cash, after 2 weeks he was moaning that his girlfriend had told him he was on £3 p/h working with me.
she is a c**t, i was trying to help the out too.
i picked him up, dropped him home, occasionally bought him a butty and lent him the basic tools (tape, knife ect)

i turned round to the tvvat and said, right how much do you want?

minimum wage £6 ish he says

so i told him, right ill put you on books, you do 8 1/2 per day with 30 mins lunch.

no smoking, texting or fcuking about while your suppose to be working

you get paid until we finish, sometimes we would be done at 2pm

youll get taxed 20%

and you can catch the bus in the morning (rotherham - sheffield about an hours journey) and if your 1 minute late, your sacked.

he soon ******* changed his mind, his fat girlfriend puttin silly ideas in his head, sticking her nose in.

£25.00 mon-fri is enough with no travel expenses or tax to pay. £30.00 for a sat until 1-2pm.

Did that lad not get in touch? Or was he to far away?
£70 after tax! Some tradesmen would work for that lol
To be fair to him, he was working this week and he wants to be plastering, I would too at his age (24) labouring is probably a last option for him and I would be the same..

For an adult £40 in hand and benefits. Ask for anymore and they can go screw themselves. Free rent, council tax and a giro plus £200 will put them on a lot more than us!

For a lad at home then £30 a day cash in the danny is enough. But if he starts on the trowel he will want more. Fine if he actually helps you also to make more.

Big problem that mobile phone business. I have a bloke that every minute he can he is on bbm. Never a lost minute. But we have all given him a hard time over it so now it is when we are not working like tea breaks etc. What they say is they receive messages and it is ignorant not to reply. They have to read the message in case it is an emergency. Well ok. But if it isn't an emergency then simply ignore them. While ever you are replying they will keep messaging. It is always the girl friends or partners. I sometimes wonder what impression they have given their women of the job they do. While ever they are texting they must have the time to do it so is there a problem?

I had one labourer in 07 who thought no employer had the right to stop him messaging whenever he wanted. He demanded messaging with pay! He was on his way at the end of the day. Can you imagine stood in Tesco's queue at the check out and the till assistant is on the phone? To many emplyees are getting away with this phone crap.
social networking and one hand pretending to sweep, drives me f/n mad

i use to pay my old labourer £25.00 cash, after 2 weeks he was moaning that his girlfriend had told him he was on £3 p/h working with me.
she is a c**t, i was trying to help the out too.
i picked him up, dropped him home, occasionally bought him a butty and lent him the basic tools (tape, knife ect)

i turned round to the tvvat and said, right how much do you want?

minimum wage £6 ish he says

so i told him, right ill put you on books, you do 8 1/2 per day with 30 mins lunch.

no smoking, texting or fcuking about while your suppose to be working

you get paid until we finish, sometimes we would be done at 2pm

youll get taxed 20%

and you can catch the bus in the morning (rotherham - sheffield about an hours journey) and if your 1 minute late, your sacked.

he soon ******* changed his mind, his fat girlfriend puttin silly ideas in his head, sticking her nose in.

£25.00 mon-fri is enough with no travel expenses or tax to pay. £30.00 for a sat until 1-2pm.
You are so right and it usually shuts the dole dodgers up! Some still demand the going rate still so it would be £££ less 20% tax and less 9.5% National insurance. This is what we would be paying if their income went through our books as our own income.

I have one of mine on paye. He wants the going subby rate. So I said fine. Self employed status, tranny van, your own equipment. Tax stopped at source. I did the sums for him because he is thick and he soon realised that the grass is greener on this side.

He has tried before working for the competition and he soon comes back. Good thing is he doesn't bring a phone to work. Bad thing is I have to deliver him to every job and pick him up. Threaten him with a bus and will won't turn up!

dont know how you find them at 40 quid a day,
treat a labourer right and youll get loyalty.
i can understand it, in the plastering game, but rendering you need bodies on the ground, i have 2 supplying 3 on the tools, and there both kept busy on 65 a day on the books, they never stop and plonk a bit on and bead up etc, and most weeks earn me around £300 plus profit per week after ive paid them as there semi skilled.

Last edited:
dont know how you find them at 40 quid a day,
treat a labourer right and youll get loyalty.
i can understand it, in the plastering game, but rendering you need bodies on the ground, i have 2 supplying 3 on the tools, and there both kept busy on 65 a day on the books, they never stop and plonk a bit on and bead up etc, and most weeks earn me around £300 plus profit per week after ive paid them as there semi skilled.

Rendering a different ball game though, at least then they are earning there money ie manning the mixer loading in, loading you up etc, plastering its different they can only mix, pva and tape up. after a while maybe bead as well, scrape and clean up room after, most of which I can do myself really will just take longer, which my time would be better spent doing something else ie earning money

whats the point in having a labourer then, if you dont have the work, cant you mix your own gear, if you work on your todd, your only going to be doing 2 sets a day, and just work another hour or so a day.

I know it's hard 1 & 1 ideally needs to be 2 & 1. It's not like skimming is all I do.. I would say 70% skimming,boarding, dabbing, 30%floating, rendering.

I have a need for a lab but not just that I work on my tod for 3 years and there nothing good about it, you start to become anti social and a bit of a recluse, which doesn't help when I'm pricing jobs ie selling myself, trying to differentiate myself from 3 or 4 other spreads who have probably put a cheaper price in than me :)

I live in a city owls. Always high unemployment and desparado's. My lab is worth more but he is in my debt. Goes back to his youth and I don't forgive and forget that easy. Don't ask I'm not telling.

Labourers to me are slaves. Yes you get the odd one that shows promise and learns the trade but they only learn what they want to learn. The hard and risky part they hold back and pretend to be thick. They happily accept less than full money because of this.

Well I chucked my latest in at the deep end this new year. His 2 years of not quite knowing how to dash yet are over. He was given a choice. I gave him a pay rise he didn't want and now he is on full money he has to perform or he's sacked and he can take his "not to sure how yet" attitude somewhere else! I have had enough of having to wipe peoples arses!

They know I am ready to quit and without me they are screwed. No driving license, not willing to catch a bus, cash on a Friday with no week in hand. No Saturdays. Basic tool kit.

Jumped up arse holes.

Last edited:
I live in a city owls. Always high unemployment and desparado's. My lab is worth more but he is my debt. Goes back to his youth and I don't forgive and forget that easy. Don't ask I'm not telling.

Labourers to me are slaves. Yes you get the odd one that shows promise and learns the trade but they only learn what they want to learn. The hard and risky part they hold back and pretend to be thick. They happily accept less than full money because of this.

Well I chucked my latest in at the deep end this new year. His 2 years of not quite knowing how to dash yet are over. He was given a choice. I gave him a pay rise he didn't want and now he is on full money he has to perform or he's sacked and he can take his "not to sure how yet" attitude somewhere else! I have had enough of having to wipe peoples arses!

They know I am ready to quit and without me they are screwed. No driving license, not willing to catch a bus, cash on a Friday with no week in hand. No Saturdays. Basic tool kit.

Jumped up arse holes.

fck me Rigsby!! Think you need to just calm down a little get the misses to put the kettle and chill, you gonna pop a gasket at this rate!

No need for apologise rigs some labs are a waste of space i had one that i counted as a real mate until i realised he was a raging alcoholic and let me down more times than i can remember.

**** me bod. 2 posts in one night... had an argument with mrs?

No never argue with the Mrs. She stays out of my way when I'm on one.

Had a bit of road rage with someone with what looked like he had a good tan and a beard.

Not wise in Pitsmoor and you are on your own in spot the white man land.

**** me bod. 2 posts in one night... had an argument with mrs?

No never argue with the Mrs. She stays out of my way when I'm on one.

Had a bit of road rage with someone with what looked like he had a good tan and a beard.

Not wise in Pitsmoor and you are on your own in spot the white man land.

Don't think the first post was aimed at you mate.

Started a lab at 16 at £2.75 ph, £110 pw on the books, he'll be 19 in two months and he's already on £300 PAYE.

Incentive's, in my opinion are the way forward, sorts the wheat from the chaff. Also he's not too shabby!

Status
Not open for further replies.