Another damp question

Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, need some more advice please. I've had an offer accepted on a flat, three floors up so no rising damp. Had a survey and the survey has come back saying there is damp in the external walls. I knew this already when I looked at the place and offered accordingly. The surveyor has obviously said tell your solicitor to check the managing agent will do something about the damp as it is penetrating damp. I'm looking to refurb and sell this place as quick as possible. I will obviously ask my solicitor to ask about repairs to the outside, but if they don't, do you think this solution will make the place mortgageable?
1.Batten the walls which have a bad reading
2.Celotex in between the battens
3.Damp proof membrane stapled to the battens covering the whole wall

Thanks in advance
my daughters room has had alot of problems with damp walls as it sticks out on the back of my house and most of the property on the street same issue, about a year ago i treated the outside walls with just a water-proofer (ready for painting) then battened the walls and used foil backed plaster boards, with thin water proof insulation sheets i was gonna tank it up but just picked the boards up one day and got on with it so far its been fine
If the wall is damp then eventually the battens will just rot. You need a barrier between the wall and battens.
It mights just need repointing.........but like cee vee mentioned, you either uses a tanking system from floor to ceiling or stud the walls out but leave a gap between the wall and ya stud wall so there is no contact with the damp wall and vapour barrier, insulate etc........find out why its penetrating first marra.......:RpS_thumbup:
If the plaster is sound, fix membrane to wall using the plastic mushroom type plugs and dab an skim:RpS_thumbup:
If the wall is damp then eventually the battens will just rot. You need a barrier between the wall and battens.
Also helps if you vent the exterior wall and a break in all the battens to allow air to move across/through them :RpS_thumbup:
As Mondo spray or with paint brush, apply to saturation water repellent to the external walls of the flat to the external face. Don't bother repointing unless there are deep recesses between the bricks (I assume solid brick construction) or if it needed for cosmetic reasons. If floor and ceiling joists locate into wall - do the obvious and check the condition of the bearing ends.

The existing wall plaster, if any, consider removing especially if gypsum based. Fit damp proof membrane to wall on the principle that only in extreme circumstances do you fit timber to damp surfaces. Batten as you suggest and fit insulation with foil backing. The object here is to stop water vapour in the air penetrating the plasterboard , migrating through the insulation and condensing on the damp proof membrane adjacent to the wall . Then plasterboard. I've not done it myself but I would like to have a go at mech fixing an insulation board with bonded plasterboard of say 50 or 60 mm overall thickness and not bother with lathes. I guess someone will have experience of any pitfalls with this idea. The more insulation the better especially if the wall is 9 inch thick.
Thanks a lot for the help guys. This is by far the most helpful forum I've been on, quick answers and always useful information. I'll use the membrane, batten then celotex idea.
if your going this route
newton membrane fixed with plastic self sealing plugs
(some plugs have a thread to fix battens to)


celetex /kingspan


if using 2x1 " battens then use plasterboard with insulation glued to back.thickness from 1" upwards depends how big room is and the type of construction
Not open for further replies.