an old Irish cottage. damp!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

hail hail

Private Member
My cousin asking me what can be done with his cottage to keep damp out. The external walls get really damp, esp in winter and he's asked me is there anything that can done rather than just dry line it.

Have worked for a few contractors who just dryline away from the wall and between the boards and wall, put breathable felt thou my cousin doesn't want this because its just hiding the problem.

Any suggestions.

Probly no damp course ,and solid brickwork causing bridging from exterior ? Improve the ventilation for start by adding air bricks ,old propertys are a nightmare for damp

Forgot to mention its an old stone cottage. Someone suggested a French drain but have heard it isn't 100% so in 2 minds to try it.

You have to find where the issue is I work on stone houses and cottages all the time. Is it penetrating damp or rising ?

How I do it is make sure the external render is fine and nothing is coming in then I usually knock the walls off, sbr render the first coat, tank two coats then either render and skim or spot insulated boards.

You have to find where the issue is I work on stone houses and cottages all the time. Is it penetrating damp or rising ?

How I do it is make sure the external render is fine and nothing is coming in then I usually knock the walls off, sbr render the first coat, tank two coats then either render and skim or spot insulated boards.

Rising and penetrating

You need to find out what changed, this started for a reason, so what work was done just before it happened? Ie new roof, external pointing, new windows, central heating, drive ways, drainage, facia and gutters, chimney removal, internal plastering, dreaded rising damp treatment, loft insulation? Just name a few :)

You need to find out what changed, this started for a reason, so what work was done just before it happened? Ie new roof, external pointing, new windows, central heating, drive ways, drainage, facia and gutters, chimney removal, internal plastering, dreaded rising damp treatment, loft insulation? Just name a few :)

Cottage has been lying years and client looking a cheap fix up :(

Its was a dark dark night in that cottage ,and in that cottage was a dark dark corner !! And in that dark dark corner was a dark dark box !! And in that dark dark box

Its was a dark dark night in that cottage ,and in that cottage was a dark dark corner !! And in that dark dark corner was a dark dark box !! And in that dark dark box
Bet nobody remembers Dave Allan cnunty

Had to stop there scared meself .....small turtles head !!!

Enough of this banter this guy needs help lol

Basically dampness has to enter either through the wall penetrating, or rising from the ground and also you get condensation but that is a different animal and is down to lifestyle.

I have done a few houses set into or on a hill, now you then get the ground water effect where it is pushing up rather than rising.
Me personally its hard to judge, could you post some pics for us to look at as this doing it blind can make you go around in circles

1 pic of the external ground conditions, and then pics of the inside and out and we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.