Am I losing the Plot ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine1

Priced a full 4 bedroom detached house.
New build - dry lining to breeze block and skim
( Customer supplying all materials ) and he just wanted a price for labour.

I priced job at £2500

He then laughed and said he had already had a quote for £1200 !!

Don't think my price was unreasonable, just seems too many fly by nights are putting our trade on its back-side.

What are your typical prices on new builds and are you getting the Work ???

we dont discuss prices on the open forum marra...............but im sure you already know what to think about the £1200 price............:RpS_thumbup:

Would of said to him to get another couple of quotes and compare, don't get the hump. Give him a bell after a week and ask how your quote faired up.

Just work out how long it would take and what money you would make in a week and ask thyself is one satisfied with ones coin, if one is not then one should wander away

I lost a job to a plumber today? I was recommended to customer to remove two ceilings re-board and skim but women went with plumber who was going to lag the pipes said his mate can plaster so women went with him hope they f*** it up I wont be going back that's for certain.

A lot of my new build work comes in by way of recommendation, I always use this to my advantage. Try and forge a confidence between yourself and client and emphasize to them that your work will be a higher standard than that of the cheaper quotes.

I priced job at £2500

Don't think my price was unreasonable, just seems too many fly by nights are putting our trade on its back-side.

how can we tell you what our prices would be? we dont know the size of the house, but my price with the pic i have in my head would be more than 2500 quid!! do you normally get the jobs at that price??

Would of said to him to get another couple of quotes and compare, don't get the hump. Give him a bell after a week and ask how your quote faired up.
Fnck that!! dont ring him back youll look desperate and amateur !!! just tell him to get a few more quotes because the quote he's got is that cheap the quality will PROB be sh!te and if your somewhere near after the other quotes then tell him to ring you back and if he does tell him ya busy as fook so the price as gone up to 3000 lol

Must be the polish undercutting me !! Lol

I know no one normally put prices on here but I've had last year labour only jobs

3 beds - dry lined and skim average price £3000
4 beds - £3600

could tell this customer was a tight wad, so went in on the cheap and then he has a written quote for £1200.
Might av to call it 2 decades !! Lol

anyways just needed a good rant to get that off my chest.

When told by prospective customers of a quote they have had which is much much lower than mine my bog standard reply is "oh you never said you were looking for the rough agricutlural look! i could revise my estimate in accordance if you wish"

Sorry that was the 3 bed.
Didn't even measure up the 4 bed when the WRITTEN QUOTE can out. Lol

Might have been done on his own computer come to think of it.

Yes Plaster Man, I've been getting a lot of 3 bed new builds, (7 Rooms and a staircase) dryline and skim and it was taking myself and a labourer 11/12 days in total. All priced around the 3k mark, and I've been busy.
This year I seem to be getting nothing !!!

Last year I posted about houses I was offered,

Was told the price before I was due to start and decided to check them out before anybody start they were -

5 bed detached
Dryline
Dot & dab
Skim
Load out
Your own generator

All for the grand sum of ....... £1400

Always stay away from new builds as got stung on last one i did. They just want a kings job for a jesters wages, not worth the hassle!

Last edited:
Last year I posted about houses I was offered,

Was told the price before I was due to start and decided to check them out before anybody start they were -

5 bed detached
Dryline
Dot & dab
Skim
Load out
Your own generator

All for the grand sum of ....... £1400
omg f u c k that

Size of the house was about 1200 square feet in total.

Labour Only.

Floor area maybe. The actual square meterage board area would be around the 500m mark, and probably 100m2 of ceilings and 400m2 of walls.
Who the fcuk works in square feet except the Yanks?
I'd want over £3k to board and tape that labour only.

I priced job at £2500

The daft c**t won't be laughing when it's finished :RpS_thumbup:
Brand new house......................

I've read a few of the posts on this one and I'd rather sign on in Romania for that money ( I live in an expensive city)

even to overkim a 4 bed on labour only I'd be looking at £2500 min :RpS_cursing:

im getting a little worried for you Minnh,you used to always post a smiley after all your posts but now it's only every now and then.:) Hope all is ok.:)

It all depends on the context: those without smileys are neutral posts. I still try to make them sound polite :)

An old spread I knew use to call rough work "like a map of the Moors". I lost a few clients to cheaper spreads over the years but they are slowly coming back to us.

Floor area maybe. The actual square meterage board area would be around the 500m mark, and probably 100m2 of ceilings and 400m2 of walls.
Who the fcuk works in square feet except the Yanks?
I'd want over £3k to board and tape that labour only.

They still work in square feet in Eire Tony. When my ex labourer/trainee phones and starts talking sizes/prices I'm totally lost lol.

Just thought I'd keep you all up to date with Progress!!

It was a team of Polish lads that started the job. Customer then called me saying they keep walking off job ect. In 5 days they have boarded 2 rooms and skimmed 1.
The guy has said the quality of work was shocking and he was just looking to save a few quid.
He has asked me to call back Friday and go through price ect as regards to start day next week.

You all know what I first quoted. But I'm unsure what to do now.
The extra work would fill a gap before my next job but .....

what would you now suggest the course of action I take...????

in the past I've been too soft with customers ect .

You still need your original figure if you think you can do it for that and tell him not to pay the Poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.