Alternative to a belle mixer

Olican

Private Member
I've been doing this for a few years now so thought I'd share it for anyone that doesn't think a good whisk could take it.
On smaller renders I find using a large tub and whisk easier than a belle.

IMG_20200513_091058.jpg

I find it much quicker as I can mix up the equivalent of 4 or 5 belle mixers in one go and has more consistency as it's all same batch.

Plus I can gauge my sand out before hand so it's ready to go. Twenty level buckets of sand then just add 4 lime 4 cement . 20 minutes later you've got enough for about 25m
IMG_20200507_091152.jpg

IMG_20200507_085748.jpg

Also find when topping its lovely to rule and dries really evenly..

IMG_20200513_120633.jpg

being doing that for years for internal s+c or whatever but outside or bigger jobs requiring a ton or more id get the belle out just cos its quicker and easier to stand it behind the van on a tarp and tip into a barrow..
someone once said something about a whisk whipping too much air into the mix but ive never noticed a problem?

being doing that for years for internal s+c or whatever but outside or bigger jobs requiring a ton or more id get the belle out just cos its quicker and easier to stand it behind the van on a tarp and tip into a barrow..
someone once said something about a whisk whipping too much air into the mix but ive never noticed a problem?
I've often wondered that, was going to ask @Rigsby if too much air is a problem.

I've been doing this for a few years now so thought I'd share it for anyone that doesn't think a good whisk could take it.
On smaller renders I find using a large tub and whisk easier than a belle.

View attachment 49541

I find it much quicker as I can mix up the equivalent of 4 or 5 belle mixers in one go and has more consistency as it's all same batch.

Plus I can gauge my sand out before hand so it's ready to go. Twenty level buckets of sand then just add 4 lime 4 cement . 20 minutes later you've got enough for about 25m
View attachment 49542

View attachment 49543

Also find when topping its lovely to rule and dries really evenly..

View attachment 49544
You get 28 buckets in that tub??:sorprendido3:

The air causes fanny farts ?

using a belle cement mixer is homogenous mixing, using a whist adds air to the mix so the theory being if your using a whist your adding a lot more air to the mix, and the materials not binding together enough.

using a belle cement mixer is homogenous mixing, using a whist adds air to the mix so the theory being if your using a whist your adding a lot more air to the mix, and the materials not binding together enough.
How negative is it in reality ,? Has it ever been tested , have there been fails ? Ie debonding , I can’t see it myself as a negative

I’d like to see it , do you mix 4/1 then add another 4 or throw the lot in , anyone else I’d be mmm but you’re a decent lad

You had me doubting myself for a minute there John, no I've done lots of mixing with that tub and it feels like second nature. 16 buckets for scratching 20 for topping. Like a skim tub it's developing tide marks

You had me doubting myself for a minute there John, no I've done lots of mixing with that tub and it feels like second nature. 16 buckets for scratching 20 for topping. Like a skim tub it's developing tide marks
How many walls have turned to dust ??!

I remember when the drill mixers were first used for plaster /skim , the old boys said it was over heating and causing fast setting , back in the late 80s

How many walls have turned to dust ??!
I remember my dad with a labourer scratching the downstairs of a house , I turned up a week later to topcoat and.saw immedeatly it was shot knocking of some high points , had to rub it all off clean with a stiff brush
Was working away in Wales and the local labourer couldn't understand what was the problem , I thought it had been frosted but didn't make sense being indoors , I realized the problem when he mixed up , over Feb and left it running to have a fag and make a brew lol

You wouldn't want to stand under a doorway with a solid coat on top

Can't see a problem with using a whisk , its excessive overmixig causing too many bubbles , render cures like a biscuit

When we did a lot of sika work in the early 2000s, on the spec and even on the cans it said to use plasterer whisk/forced action mixer and to avoid using a tumble mixer (belle) excuse of the air introduced into the mix.

Always found a nicer mix with the forced action or mixer drill.

How negative is it in reality ,? Has it ever been tested , have there been fails ? Ie debonding , I can’t see it myself as a negative

More reliable surely. Whisk/forced action.
You're forcing the mix into itself.
Way better blending of the ingredients.

I'll find the spec.

From sika website
For sika 1 system. (Waterproofing)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200524-132808_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200524-132808_Drive.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 159
I remember my dad with a labourer scratching the downstairs of a house , I turned up a week later to topcoat and.saw immedeatly it was shot knocking of some high points , had to rub it all off clean with a stiff brush
Was working away in Wales and the local labourer couldn't understand what was the problem , I thought it had been frosted but didn't make sense being indoors , I realized the problem when he mixed up , over Feb and left it running to have a fag and make a brew lol

You wouldn't want to stand under a doorway with a solid coat on top

Can't see a problem with using a whisk , its excessive overmixig causing too many bubbles , render cures like a biscuit
The problem is , whether it’s a mixer or a whisk, people are impatient, they will put more feb/waterproofer in to Knock it up to a spreadable consistency , rather than a nominal amount and take time to mix it , add to the fact most blokes use the plastic bag cement with added plasticiser rather than the paper bag cement , these two factors added together = less water used = a weak mix

The problem is , whether it’s a mixer or a whisk, people are impatient, they will put more feb/waterproofer in to Knock it up to a spreadable consistency , rather than a nominal amount and take time to mix it , add to the fact most blokes use the plastic bag cement with added plasticiser rather than the paper bag cement , these two factors added together = less water used = a weak mix
This labourer was supposed to be a bit of a brickie , say no more lol

Back in the day when skim was mixed with a bike cog, we would use a whisk on a drill for the last little bit, sometimes, for the last bit we’d give it a longer whisk as this tended to set it up a bit quicker.

I liked to use a whisk for sand cement render when damp proofing for all the reasons mentioned.........and if I’m correct goldblatt used to make a serrated darby for knocking air out of render coats?