alpine finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
anyone hear of this finish or know much about it, my pal rang and said it was specified for his job, thats my only info so far
Preferences

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

We do a 'Alpine' or 'Troweled' Render finish from JUB, the grain in the material is different to normal textured Render. Application is relatively similar, finishing the material is normally done Horizontally or Vertically

Hi Mate,

We do a 'Alpine' or 'Troweled' Render finish from JUB, the grain in the material is different to normal textured Render. Application is relatively similar, finishing the material is normally done Horizontally or Vertically

As said above. If you can do bucket coat (acrylic trowel finish) you can do Alpine. Apply as tight as the grain size and then trowel either up or across. You will need to prime the background first though. Either Webers primer or sbr 1:1 with water. The Alpine needs to applied when the primer is tacky.

we used this on new build while back, was all floated outside(float without sponging) let it dry then apply ur primer. It came in webber bags but i know u can get it in buckets which is easier cause u dont have to mix,coat it on very thin few mm let it sit a minute or 2 and pull the float sideways or vertical.

Last time I saw Alpine finish used was in the late 80's. Is it making a comeback? Artex will be next.

Any reason why this cant be rubbed up like bucket coat? If it gives a similar finish it could be an alternative to bucket coat in winter as it sets unlike acrylic.

Any reason why this cant be rubbed up like bucket coat? If it gives a similar finish it could be an alternative to bucket coat in winter as it sets unlike acrylic.

I think the only hold back will be the aggregate size and consistency. I haven't heard of anyone trying to do it that way but may be worth a go. I will ask JUB for some details on this

can alpine finish be covered over with another coat of alpine finish with a primer of sbr and can you buy it in magnolia ?

Welcome cfitz59 ,hopefully someone will answer soon, I hope you're a Fitzpatrick and not a FitzgeraldFitzgerald

can alpine finish be covered over with another coat of alpine finish with a primer of sbr and can you buy it in magnolia ?
Why do you want to go over old alpine with another coat??if its just because of colour ? Just paint it??
Don't think alpine comes in colours other than white?? If your doing a big area stock up on poly floats as it wears them out pretty quickly :RpS_thumbup:

Did you see the date of post marshy, it was my uncle who asked me at the time, he works out of Basingstoke,bricklayer but often runs jobs so I asked on his behalf..thanks anyway
Sorry John I didn't as not got my glasses on lol just got back with my pup and logged on :RpS_laugh:

I've not seen any wooden floats you can buy in years?? Or do you make your own?? :RpS_confused:

I've not seen any wooden floats you can buy in years?? Or do you make your own?? :RpS_confused:

Marshalltown do a good wooden float marshy. Here's one like mine. The only float for s&c IMO.

Look at this on eBay:

Marshalltown M44 Wooden Float 12" x 5"

bit.ly

That's handy to know thanks, mind you I won't hold my breath into getting any alpine jobs any time soon lol :RpS_laugh:

Marshalltown do a good wooden float marshy. Here's one like mine. The only float for s&c IMO.

Look at this on eBay:

Nice one Mark its on offer and ordering one as do loads of s&c work and the plastic ones are a bit brittle when "worn in" and I'm a clumsy git and lost count how many I've dropped from scaffolds and broke them! :RpS_blushing: Gonna order one of those :RpS_thumbup:

Very expensive finish really, only as it's scratch, top coat, then alpine wich is about £40 a bag which does about 6m2 if I can remember right, nice when new mind! It's mostly made of porcelain from a mine in Italy I think!? Hence the cost!?

Used this in mid 80s.......we finished it with a horizontal stroke on a farm house, it looked fooking shite !...farmer loved it !. looked like a very neat scratch coat.

I only think it looks crap if its applied too thick as the "drags" look like they have been done with your finger lol. I like it and it lasts too which can't be said for some of these "modern" finishes!? :RpS_confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.