After seeing the videos, ive become inspired to have ago myself!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
Made a quick video whilst installing some cornice. Im afraid not as funny as the last few that have been shared on here. But ill get better i promise.. :RpS_laugh:

uploading as we speak, probably done in about 5 min

Last edited by a moderator:
without sounding a bit of a knob..............:rolleyes). how do you cut ya mitres? or do you just have a massive mitre block??..............also...your really fast by the way.........................:RpS_thumbup:

without sounding a bit of a knob..............:rolleyes). how do you cut ya mitres? or do you just have a massive mitre block??..............also...your really fast by the way.........................:RpS_thumbup:

I was going to ask that. But I z I'll let some other knob ask.:RpS_thumbsup:

He hasnt answered the question, so maybe he doesnt know either....................:RpS_unsure:

He hasnt answered the question, so maybe he doesnt know either....................:RpS_unsure:

Use mitre block for certain stuff marra and free hand some stuff aswell, it all depends on the size of the job and how many cuts your gonna do and on the size of the moulding you are fitting if that makes sense. Well thats what i do anyway i'm sure mike will have his own approach.

we make our own mitre box, to fit each cornice.
a piece of ply for the base , with an upstand piece of timber, over the size of the cornice. then cut 2, 45 degree angles.
i place the ceiling edge of the cornice to the base of the ply, then cut the mitre.
i measure the cornice and ping a chalk line to the wall edge and the ceiling edge, mark the cornice and cut.
it is more simple to show someone then it is to explain.

I have two of my own hand made mitre blocsk, which is basically 3 pieces of ply screwed and glued to a |_| shape, with two 45 degree cuts in them, there made larger than the cornice i use, this way i can put smaller or larger cornice in, not needling to make new ones each time.

I have a batten screwed into the mitre block to allow the cornice to sit at the right projection, unscrew and move it for diffrent size cornice.

doing a 45 cut will never be perfect. but i like to cut itm stick it up and then "stop up" the mitre.

the other option is to offer the cornice up, draw lines on the ceiling, then mark the cross section, put back in the mitre block then cut point to point, but this still doesn't get a perfect joint and still requires stopping up.
if your stopping up is good, then go for the first method as its quicker, if your stopping up isn't to good or the mitre clearly is no where near a 90 degree then go with the offering up and marking method.

Being a bit of a knob again........whats stopping up?........is it just filling in the gaps??

yeah sorry.

Filling out the joints and then carving them back into the profile of the cornice with a combo of a joint rule, busk and small tool is known as 'stopping up'

Nice vid mike, but in the next one can we have some talking explaining what your doing at each stage like Mr Hillside does, also a bit of swearing & some van driving doing screeching sounds as you turn into a parking space would be good too? :)

It's just what we the audience expect that's all mate :RpS_thumbup:

Nice vid mike, but in the next one can we have some talking explaining what your doing at each stage like Mr Hillside does, also a bit of swearing & some van driving doing screeching sounds as you turn into a parking space would be good too? :)

It's just what we the audience expect that's all mate :RpS_thumbup:

and some Duran Duran on the radio.............."Wild Boys, Wild Boys"

@mikeadams1985 Just sent your details to a customer of mine. They have a gorgeous town house in Withington/Disbury area which we have been slowly put back together for a year. Still very much a shell at the minute on the ground floor though. They asked me about the cornices and roses ages ago but I never blag it if I'm out of my depth.

@mikeadams1985 Just sent your details to a customer of mine. They have a gorgeous town house in Withington/Disbury area which we have been slowly put back together for a year. Still very much a shell at the minute on the ground floor though. They asked me about the cornices and roses ages ago but I never blag it if I'm out of my depth.

Thanks for that jess,
I've got a job out that way some time in the next two weeks in the police station. Some in situ running.

If they want me to visit and take sample coving etc then they can just drop.me a line. Visits quotes and advise are all free of course :)

www.michaeljadams.co.uk
Fibrous plaster mouldings.

@mikeadams1985 im looking through the gear on the site james posted the link for and it says on some bags for GRG work? do you know what this means because im looking at drawings for a venetian job and the same term is used cheers.

Glass reinforced gypsum
A combination of
Water & pva mixed plaster
Then applied to the cast using a layer or two (or more if required) of fibreglass matt
And also a layer of a very fine material (which name has completely alluded me right now!lol )

www.michaeljadams.co.uk
Fibrous plaster mouldings.

Status
Not open for further replies.