advise........

Status
Not open for further replies.

patman89

Alright lads! As some of you might no from previous posts etc I'm looking to get with a spread full time to learn the trade fully, I've just spoke to a chap that wants a improver, he seemed really keen to take me on, but said I would have to go self employed, this isn't a problem for me as I'm kind of expecting to have too if I do get a job, but he said at times he gets so quiet he doesn't earn enough for himself let alone someone else and I would have to go find my own work elsewhere, and over December Jan and Feb he has almost nothing! I'm so keen to get going with someone but this guy has really put me off. What would you lads do?

if i was you i would start with him,, at least he is being honest with you, as you will be self employed you can always work with other spreads or companys when he is quiet, at least by starting with him you will be learning, welcome to the world of plastering, its always feast or famine , unfortunately working in the plastering game doesn't come with work every day , take the start mate, you can still look around for other jobs

I did something similar to you for what was going to be for a few days hear and there I've been full time since that was over a year ago. If the bloke has work and is willing to take you on go for it. If the work drys up for a few weeks phone an agency you will probably get some work of some sort from them and you can go back to the other fella when there is work

At least he's being upfront about it. Domestic sometimes goes dead as a dodo over Dec Jan Feb, some got work on some got nothing. By the time he gets to December he might have something on. You never know. Being self-employed is a common practice.

Alright lads! As some of you might no from previous posts etc I'm looking to get with a spread full time to learn the trade fully, I've just spoke to a chap that wants a improver, he seemed really keen to take me on, but said I would have to go self employed, this isn't a problem for me as I'm kind of expecting to have too if I do get a job, but he said at times he gets so quiet he doesn't earn enough for himself let alone someone else and I would have to go find my own work elsewhere, and over December Jan and Feb he has almost nothing! I'm so keen to get going with someone but this guy has really put me off. What would you lads do?

Well done mate , go self employed . Do as much as you can with him , he is just one contact when ur self employed . If he is quiet u could do ur own work or try find other plasterers etc . Its always hit and miss this game if ur self employed , either to much work or not enough . Part in parcel of being self employed , pay should be better than a notmal wage though to conpensate . And dont forget no holiday pay etc . Once u get going u wont look back mate , after a few years thou of self employed u nearly turn unemployable lol well u wudnt like going to a normal job !

The world is your oyster of the plastering world ...... Well wen ur for ur self , all it will take it hard work and MOSTLY good luck for ur business to work ? Obviously if ur a gd spread u would make a living , getting good contacts etc half the time is down to luck . Plus stick with the forum as theres lots of lads on here who may need a few days here and there ? Try find the local ones even pm danny and ask nicely if he can pass u a few local lads on to have a chat with etc? Them quiet weeks with the other bloke somebody body else u know may just be starting a nice extension or something ...... All down to luck and even thenluck that goes as far as ur contacts getting decent jobs etc . Just takes time :) hope this helps and actually makes sense ....... Sorry for blabing on but it may help

Surely @Danny i should be worth a tpf pint glass by now if it helps ad buy a daft sticker and postage ? See every one else with mugs , no coffe or tea for me maybe a odd hot chocy in winter . Hooked on volvics apple juice atm lol better than the 8 cans of pop aday a was drinking haha

Well done mate , go self employed . Do as much as you can with him , he is just one contact when ur self employed . If he is quiet u could do ur own work or try find other plasterers etc . Its always hit and miss this game if ur self employed , either to much work or not enough . Part in parcel of being self employed , pay should be better than a notmal wage though to conpensate . And dont forget no holiday pay etc . Once u get going u wont look back mate , after a few years thou of self employed u nearly turn unemployable lol well u wudnt like going to a normal job !

@Danny why cant u just leave the edit button on for longer than a hour ? I left this and just read it back and it has a a little error , notmal is not paying any one its ment to say normal lol

It does not mean that :fuckyou: never thought it was gunna be a word but checked it up lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 365
Cheers for all the tips lads! Thing that makes me nervous is that Ide be a self employed improver with some experience, not a fully trained spread so if I was looking for a weeks work somewhere surley I'll be less attractive than a proper spread?

I think its a good start seems like an honest chap... you dont know unless you try it :D

@Danny why cant u just leave the edit button on for longer than a hour ? I left this and just read it back and it has a a little error , notmal is not paying any one its ment to say normal lol

because we had people in the past do something that got me into legal hot water and I had know idea what it was about because they went through and deleted it all.... was a very sticky situation for me....

Cheers for all the tips lads! Thing that makes me nervous is that Ide be a self employed improver with some experience, not a fully trained spread so if I was looking for a weeks work somewhere surley I'll be less attractive than a proper spread?
whether you are self employed or on the cards you will still be an improver and not a plasterer if you find yourself looking for work, you will probably find that nine out of ten of us on this forum are self employed, most of us were probally self employed when we were labourers yet alone improvers, if you go self employed you can always go back to working on the cards for a firm and stop being self employed, if you do go self employed look on the bright side, a nice tax rebate every year

because we had people in the past do something that got me into legal hot water and I had know idea what it was about because they went through and deleted it all.... was a very sticky situation for me....
Edit button for me would be irrelevant as ive rarely been understood anyhow :reloco:

Status
Not open for further replies.