advise please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

platinum

building a stud wall to half my brothers extension..... should i use 12.5 mm board or is 9.5 ok??? also where the plasterboard of the stud wall meets the existing wall obviously i can't use scrim as i'm not gonna be plastering the existing walls ... so if i bud the board up best i can will a line of caulk before i skim stop any cracking???? thanks i advance....

9.5 boards should be fine aslong as your stud work is worked out right and wouldn't you caulk the angle after you have skimmed it? Have you got to insulated it in some way!!!

yeh just get some 3x2 cls timber (which comes out at about 60x40 finished) and use 9.5 boards at 600 centres...
get yerself a 4 1/4 inch door liner and then bond both sides of the wall before you skim it... cos youll need too..
when youve built your stud wall have a go at hanging the door.. quick before the plaster dries...

yes caulk after skim thats what i meant to put ;).... so always use 12.5 board no insulation going in it as such small wall ...... don't want to skim the other wall unless i must therefore there will be no scrim used on the angle where the new stud wall meets the origional wall ..... don't really see how stop bead will help me??? unless i'm missing something??? surely if i stick a line of caulk there it will be ok???? will it??

9.5mm boards at 400mm centres and 12.5 at 600mm centres, what you gain with one you lose with the other. Dont take your board all the way to the ceiling, leave a 3mm gap for the skimming to push into and that should help to strengthen the joint, you can also put scrim up to the ceiling line but no real need mate.

Chris W said:
yeh just get some 3x2 cls timber (which comes out at about 60x40 finished) and use 9.5 boards at 600 centres...
get yerself a 4 1/4 inch door liner and then bond both sides of the wall before you skim it... cos youll need too..
when youve built your stud wall have a go at hanging the door.. quick before the plaster dries...
Is nt it every 400 centres

sorry but it needs scrim to stop cracking although it dont allways work as napper says 3mm stop at any junction

heafy said:
Chris W said:
yes mate, its called sarcasm... ;D
i cant believe people actually still use 9.5 board on walls at all...
and the cls thing... with the door liner... and the door... just a liitle note to say what NOT to do... ;D

Chris W said:
heafy said:
Chris W said:
yes mate, its called sarcasm... ;D
i cant believe people actually still use 9.5 board on walls at all...
and the cls thing... with the door liner... and the door... just a liitle note to say what NOT to do... ;D

Fuuuuck me Chris just built a stud wall using your advise , twwwAAttt now i gotta take it back down :( :( :( :(

platinum will you stop opening every thread with this is for my brother........this is for my uncle ........... ;D ;D

sound cheers mate i keep getting under the cover moments of my dancing though!......evryone got very drunk ......weve been very lucky weve got a few quid from gifts so will be booking a week away !........probably in skegness ;D

Mate that is really dangerous buddy, now if some one was to tag you with the name spunkybum . how well would that go down with the family :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.