Advice

Members online

Fab Plastering

Hi all I was labouring for a 6 plasterers for 3 years, I have learned to skimm and some boarding. I now work for a builder who does everything from extension, renovation the whole lot etc and I skimm for him when it’s time to do plastering work. I also do my own jobs aside currently reskimming a 3 bedroom house atm, as much as I enjoy working with the builder my passion is plastering. I need advice on maybe should I work with a plasterer to improve on my boarding, or just keep going as I’m doing. The problem is I’m not busy enough to keep me going on my own, even part time with a plasterer would help me advance or should I just advertise to do it myself. Any advice would be much appreciated

You can't advertise to do it yourself when you just admitted you need more hands on time with plasterboarding,you going to turn down every job that's need plasterboarding,if your working during the week for this builder why can't you ask him to jump on the boarding with him,if not then I suggest you ring around for local plasterers and see if the any of them work weekends and offer to work with them for nothing as the experience and knowledge you need to progress is priceless

I suggest you ring around for local plasterers and see if the any of them work weekends and offer to work with them for nothing as the experience and knowledge you need to progress is priceless

.....although be warned that many spreads might not be keen to teach, as they won't want the trainee to become a future competitor.

.....although be warned that many spreads might not be keen to teach, as they won't want the trainee to become a future competitor.
Yeah agree there it's somebody else that will potentially undercut them not like the old days where you had reliable lads that wanted to learn and put the graft in and didn't bugger off at the first opportunity

I could keep 27 plasterers going at once when I was a lad they actually named me the browning phenomenon!

Yeah agree there it's somebody else that will potentially undercut them not like the old days where you had reliable lads that wanted to learn and put the graft in and didn't bugger off at the first opportunity
Are you still working for the firm that you did your training with?

Hi all I was labouring for a 6 plasterers for 3 years, I have learned to skimm and some boarding. I now work for a builder who does everything from extension, renovation the whole lot etc and I skimm for him when it’s time to do plastering work. I also do my own jobs aside currently reskimming a 3 bedroom house atm, as much as I enjoy working with the builder my passion is plastering. I need advice on maybe should I work with a plasterer to improve on my boarding, or just keep going as I’m doing. The problem is I’m not busy enough to keep me going on my own, even part time with a plasterer would help me advance or should I just advertise to do it myself. Any advice would be much appreciated
Try saying where your based pal

Worst thing is I've probably had two aggressive wanks just thinking about candles not sure where to go from here!

I'm not mate no difference is I gave 13 years to them,my point is this day and age once these lads learn how to skim and have a dabble there looking to do 1

You can't advertise to do it yourself when you just admitted you need more hands on time with plasterboarding,you going to turn down every job that's need plasterboarding,if your working during the week for this builder why can't you ask him to jump on the boarding with him,if not then I suggest you ring around for local plasterers and see if the any of them work weekends and offer to work with them for nothing as the experience and knowledge you need to progress is priceless
Hi that’s very true, I will ring around and go with a plasterer. I’m based in Derby, smalley, Heanor, Ilkeston etc. Thank you

No I left the firm but the lads I worked with are willing to help me if I get a big job, will help me dryline etc but however I still want to be able to do it myself. I don’t want to waste my time working with the builders and not progressing.