Advice

Members online

Ad1983

Hi Guys,

We have just had some rendering done on a newly built double story extension, block and external aquaboard.

It was done two weeks ago and yesterday I noticed there are cracks (probably around 8 and some around 3 foot long)

Is this normal they told us to go with a silicone render as its more flexible and wouldn't crack??

Render used is k rend silicone ft and k rend base.

They put some of the base on and a mesh and then the next day the render was machine applied ?

Can the cracks be repaired or does it need to be completely redone ?

Interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers

Pic

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 444
That needs re doing

Seriouly

I know it's difficult for you to answer but do you have any ideas on why it would crack like that they are on all three sides of the extension plus around corners of windows bifold doors and another door.

They are saying its normal to have them it's shrinkage they will fill them I feel like we are being fob off

Cheers

There could be lots of reason why its cracking movement, shrinking , subsidence inexperience hard to say really

Why did you go for k rend? Always wonder how customers end up with one?

We didn't ask for K rend it was what they recommended it's the biggest mistake we have made so for on the build its been nothing but trouble and at £9.5k very disappointed

We have no internal cracks on the new plaster just on the render ?

Meeting them there today to find out what they are going to do.

is filling the cracks acceptable ?

Thanks again guys

There's a company called rendit check them out online they supply crack kits and facade paint for Krend. A thin coat system would of been better than a ft top coat tho , have you any pics of the job boarded before it was rendered ?

At spending 9.5k on it I wouldn't be happy with them cracks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

krend surely too heavy and cement content aswell thin coat system or a mineral mono would have been better but prob not what you want to here what base coat did they use bet it wasn't hpx the dearer stuff

Probably should of gone for a thin coat system on render board, you can't fill cracks in krend unless it's the mend rend system as mentioned by Ivor , think that's your only option now ,

Can we all stop saying 'could of' and 'should of' please.
It's 'could have' and 'should have'...:bailando:

Let them repair the cracks. If they are visible after they need to redo it all.

Hi Guys,

We have just had some rendering done on a newly built double story extension, block and external aquaboard.

It was done two weeks ago and yesterday I noticed there are cracks (probably around 8 and some around 3 foot long)

Is this normal they told us to go with a silicone render as its more flexible and wouldn't crack??

Render used is k rend silicone ft and k rend base.

They put some of the base on and a mesh and then the next day the render was machine applied ?

Can the cracks be repaired or does it need to be completely redone ?

Interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers
Speak to k rend and explain what has happened and take it from there.

Seriouly

I know it's difficult for you to answer but do you have any ideas on why it would crack like that they are on all three sides of the extension plus around corners of windows bifold doors and another door.

They are saying its normal to have them it's shrinkage they will fill them I feel like we are being fob off

Cheers
Perhaps the aqua board was not fixed correctly? Hence movement hence cracks

We didn't ask for K rend it was what they recommended it's the biggest mistake we have made so for on the build its been nothing but trouble and at £9.5k very disappointed

Thanks again guys
No. Filing the cracks is not acceptable unless they pay you back. Who recommended ? K rend or the installers ?

Thanks again guys
For 9.5k no its not acceptable

Seriouly

Cheers

Yes, it's very normal for k rend to crack, which doesn't make it one of our favourite render.
And yes again, you should expect the cracks,but again it's not normal. The spec for the job is wrong. Put a picture of the whole job. It might be cheaper for you to go with EWI , but let's see it first.

Gosh tbh I think everyone being a bit harsh the photo is really up close , fair enough there is a crack,can we have a big overall photo @Ad1983 of the whole house?
Thanks

Better question might be has anyone Never had a crack on a job ? IMO.

What K Rend base? I would have thought HPX thin coat.

Run with scissors on here would advise on the aquaboard. They may have been fitted wrong.

As for redoing so long as the aquaboard is ok you will need advise off K-Rend.

Weber Santane is very flexible but how it would adhere to K Rend I wouldn't know. Weber (the bastards) could advise. If you do the full Santane system with fibre glass matting that will take some beating.

If it down to the boarding then I wouldn't know what to advise.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply..

Yes the picture is up close which makes it looks worse, from the ground you might not be able to see them. (scaffolding is up)

Can now as they have been filled not sure how they filled them as they got there early and left before we arrived.

Havent spoke to k rend about the cracks, have before when they messed the side up and according to them 18mm max on aqua boards altho the side now has a fair bit more then that on there after missing it up twice

I'm pretty sure the builder fitted the boards properly the renderers told him what boards they wanted and they checked them once fitted.

Not sure which base was used it was a thin coat finished with the mesh in it, will check tomorrow as there are still bags round there for finishing the rest of the house. (Total job is 160m2)

Annoyingly the chap i wanted to do the job was going to use a thin set silicon render and was cheaper but was talked out of using him as these chaps was plastering the house so they was meant to be inside plastering and out rendering when the weather was good sounded good but that didnt happen. :-/

If they applied the ft without letting the basecoat time to cure that could be the reason
Also as said through colour render over a carrier board isn't the best idea unless the correct materials/thickness is followed

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply..

Yes the picture is up close which makes it looks worse, from the ground you might not be able to see them. (scaffolding is up)

Can now as they have been filled not sure how they filled them as they got there early and left before we arrived.

Havent spoke to k rend about the cracks, have before when they messed the side up and according to them 18mm max on aqua boards altho the side now has a fair bit more then that on there after missing it up twice

I'm pretty sure the builder fitted the boards properly the renderers told him what boards they wanted and they checked them once fitted.

Not sure which base was used it was a thin coat finished with the mesh in it, will check tomorrow as there are still bags round there for finishing the rest of the house. (Total job is 160m2)

Annoyingly the chap i wanted to do the job was going to use a thin set silicon render and was cheaper but was talked out of using him as these chaps was plastering the house so they was meant to be inside plastering and out rendering when the weather was good sounded good but that didnt happen. :-/
A thin coat render system would of been the right choice!!!
Who ever talked you out of using them has f**k*d up here!!

If you've not got Movement beads between the board and block work that would give you the easiest explanation of a crack but without seeing better pics and more info it's hard to judge!
Was it 9.5k for the rendering only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've not got Movement beads between the board and block work that would give you the easiest explanation of a crack but without seeing better pics and more info it's hard to judge!
Was it 9.5k for the rendering only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope there are no beads between the blockwork to boards

That was the price for 160m2 of rendering

Base used is hp 1.2 base?

You didn't say who recommended it and expanding joints not always necessarily , at least with thin coat