[/url][/IMG]
IMG_20170126_154721045.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_20170126_154728242.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
IMG_20170126_154740102.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Evening all,

Hopefully you can see the images above, I'm after some advice/input really, I am tanking my basement using KA tanking slurry, It is dry at present and doesn't smell so hoping a good tanking will make it a decent space.

I have used this above ground previously for rising damp (different property) but never below ground. After doing a lot of research seems some systems suggest an SBR slurry, render then tanking and others say tanking bare brick then a render.

As you can see from the pictures I have dug the floor and the rasied bed down an extra course as my plan originally was to tank the walls first all the way down then lay the new floor, fillet the angle then tank the fillet joint and floor (thought the tanking going down past the floor might help)

I'm still currently prepping the walls atm all like the far wall back to brick and mortar joints raked as seen in the pictures.

Basically what do people think

- would you tank the bricks then render or render then tank?

- tank walls first then get floor in or get floor in and then tank?

- also what is peoples previous experience with the steps in, tank them or are they ok because they are not earth retaining?

any input welcome, Thanks

Think I'd clean the brickwork, then ka slurry twice, then either scratch, float & set incorporating waterproofer. Or, Ka slurry the fix membrane, scratch,float set.
There are loads on here doing this day in day out.
@Jgreenplastering maybe?

I rather not give advice on this as the last one I did following the builders spec was leaking like a sieve lol so on that note I'm out :tanguero:
PS follow manufacturers guidelines or get a certified installer in

I rather not give advice on this as the last one I did following the builders spec was leaking like a sieve lol so on that note I'm out :tanguero:
PS follow manufacturers guidelines or get a certified installer in
What was the spec they gave zol just so we can avoid lol

What was the spec they gave zol just so we can avoid lol
It was a basement conversion. Had to lower floor about 800 mm, underpin walls and all. Floor was poured onto DPM, then walls lined with oldroy, timber studs fixed through oldroys plugs to wall, first room had no oldroy on floor so basically wasn't tanked properly, BC still signed it off, but questioned the oldroys, builder said yes it's there which clearly wasn't. Rest of place done properly,but few months down the line water started coming up in the end suite which was lined but water still found it way in, so he had to rip it out and put a sump in. Place is about 100 yards from the grand union canal, so there was bound to be a problem with it in long term without a channel all around and not having a pump fitted. Owners moved to the states when the build was finished so I have no idea hows the place looks now as it's rented.
He just wanted to save a few hundred, then it bit him in the arse. I'm sure he learned from it, was an expensive lesson tho as he had to make a fair few alterations.

It was a basement conversion. Had to lower floor about 800 mm, underpin walls and all. Floor was poured onto DPM, then walls lined with oldroy, timber studs fixed through oldroys plugs to wall, first room had no oldroy on floor so basically wasn't tanked properly, BC still signed it off, but questioned the oldroys, builder said yes it's there which clearly wasn't. Rest of place done properly,but few months down the line water started coming up in the end suite which was lined but water still found it way in, so he had to rip it out and put a sump in. Place is about 100 yards from the grand union canal, so there was bound to be a problem with it in long term without a channel all around and not having a pump fitted. Owners moved to the states when the build was finished so I have no idea hows the place looks now as it's rented.
He just wanted to save a few hundred, then it bit him in the arse. I'm sure he learned from it, was an expensive lesson tho as he had to make a fair few alterations.
Bloody hell some people are mad for a couple of hundred quid, all that headache extra work and cost. Nightmare

Wouldn't fancy rendering on to them painted bricks. I'd go with a membrane system and as Zolco says, a sump pump.

KA tanking slurry will not "cure rising damp" by the way, it's for penetrating damp

Bloody hell some people are mad for a couple of hundred quid, all that headache extra work and cost. Nightmare
And trust me when I say money wasn't an issue there. Bloke used to run BT in the UK. So there was plenty of dosh.

we plastered out a ground floor flat at Clink wharf, London. built by the victorians, it had a large cellar right beside the thames, which flows fast, the water came right up within a few inches of the patio doors on the ground floor twice a day.
the cellar was bone dry, all in brickwork built in large honeycomb sections across the complete floor. it was unbelievable with the thames only a couple of feet away.

Wouldn't fancy rendering on to them painted bricks. I'd go with a membrane system and as Zolco says, a sump pump.

KA tanking slurry will not "cure rising damp" by the way, it's for penetrating damp
Warty swore by blue brick dpc.

Sovereigns K11 tanking system.

Follow the specification to the letter and you will have no issues. Can only go off what I have used personally and this method hasn't let me down yet.

Membrane is also a more than trustworthy system my choice is just personal preference.