Advice wanted

mozz

Last January a reputable looking plasterer I found on Check-a-trade re-rendered the back of my terrace house. The old render was cut off, a scratch coat applied and then rendered over.

I’ve finally got around to painting the back of the house but I’ve noticed that parts of the render, especially around frames, pipes and other joins, crumbles away quite easily. Other areas appear much more firmer, yet even these erode slightly when I lean a ladder up against them - leaving small, but noticeable nicks in the wall.

I’m guessing the either the mix ratio was wrong, too much plasticiser was used or the render dried out too quickly. The weather last January was unusually mild but also quite wet where I’m based in East Sussex.

The plasterer in question, after seeing photos, has acknowledged the problem. He’s away on holiday and can come and have a look towards the end of the month.

My question is whether I should push for all of the top render to be taken off and to start again? Or can what's there be repaired/strengthened? I’m not sure how sturdy/resilient new render should be, but a recently rendered wall down the end of my road appears to be rock-hard in comparison.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5058.jpg
    IMG_5058.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 606
  • IMG_5060.jpg
    IMG_5060.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 545
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 515
  • IMG_5126.JPG
    IMG_5126.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 539
Crikey you'll be lucky to get him back and to be honest why would you give him another go?you will regret getting him back !

You have to the guy a chance to correct to be fair.

Your window frame is rotting away as well best get that looked at.

Reactions: Mag
Get him back. Get a proper spec written out, get it re-done. That does not seem to be the right mix.
Is that elevation hit by the weather? Is that why the window has rotted? If so make sure the spec take that into account. There are plenty here who can help you devise a specification.

Easy to pick fault with people's work, but that doesn't look to good !!!...hack of and redo
That looks more like inconsistent mix . Who knows how the labourer have mixed it.
yep, another lbourer who can't count !! Or to busy on his fecking phone, feck next you'll want him to pour the mix out and get it on the spot board, what ever next..............lol..

That's way to sandy there's not enough cement in that mix . It looks like a 7/1 . But you do have to give the guy a chance to correct it as we've all had a off day and those saying they haven't are talking s**t .

Yes, one because it wouldn't cost me nothing but more importantly because it's only right he is given the opportunity

What on earth makes you think someone who has f**k*d up so easily on something so trivial the first time will get it right the second?
Of course it's cost you. You've already paid for the first attempt, your hoping that they fix everything up properly at there own cost and to a better standard on the second when again they clearly had no idea on the first.

It's not like it's a good job with a few flaws. Looks like he may aswell as put a load of bonding on there, that would of held more strength than that weak ass mix.

I'm all for second chances but when someone fucks up so badly with the first I'd rather run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's way to sandy there's not enough cement in that mix . It looks like a 7/1 . But you do have to give the guy a chance to correct it as we've all had a off day and those saying they haven't are talking s**t .

Having a day off doesn't mean you'll mess up a job that bad, come on. I've had my days off but they consist of small mistakes easily corrected not monuments f**k ups where the whole thing is flawed.
You'd know when using that mix, ruling, rubbing up etc that it just wasn't right and to continue with it isn't a mistake. That's just a could care less attitude.

You'd better call the rendering police Coz no fucks have been given here
Having a day off doesn't mean you'll mess up a job that bad, come on. I've had my days off but they consist of small mistakes easily corrected not monuments f**k ups where the whole thing is flawed.
You'd know when using that mix, ruling, rubbing up etc that it just wasn't right and to continue with it isn't a mistake. That's just a could care less attitude.

You can't make good render it looks dog turd in my own personal opinion we all got our own mixes and the correct way I feel is a stronger scratch coat and weaker top coat I always found this strange but apparently it's the way to do it and many I have worked with do it that way I do 4-1 then 5-1 I've even dropped to a 6-1 before and the house I done is still going strong no cracks nothing and looks well painted also I always stabilise after a hack off and re render I know it doesn't always have to be done but I do it cos I feel it should be done,I think if you want it looking perfect it's gotta come off,out of interest have you got a picture of the full panel rather than close ups?

What on earth makes you think someone who has f**k*d up so easily on something so trivial the first time will get it right the second?
Of course it's cost you. You've already paid for the first attempt, your hoping that they fix everything up properly at there own cost and to a better standard on the second when again they clearly had no idea on the first.

It's not like it's a good job with a few flaws. Looks like he may aswell as put a load of bonding on there, that would of held more strength than that weak ass mix.

I'm all for second chances but when someone fucks up so badly with the first I'd rather run.

Yes I'd expect it corrected 2nd time at their cost, if the guy is willing to come back he deserves the opportunity to correct it but that's also from a legal stand point,
Your honour I want my money back for a bad job, did you give the defendant the opportunity to put the work right, no your honour. Case closed.

But render can't be corrected properly can it,how many properties have you seen where it's been patched in and looked crap and I don't really think the bloke will go back and take it all off and redo at his cost that's a day to hack off get rid of rubbish and scratch then top out again and depends how much is there could be 3-4 days work plus cost of materials yes some of us would do that but many wouldn't would they,a basic mistake like getting mix wrong is a costly mistake,wonder how much it cost and if was cheap then can probably see where this is gonna end up can't we,hope it does get resolved but bloke has pointed out the whole panel is crumbling away so it's 100% take off and redo

Yes I'd expect it corrected 2nd time at their cost, if the guy is willing to come back he deserves the opportunity to correct it but that's also from a legal stand point,
Your honour I want my money back for a bad job, did you give the defendant the opportunity to put the work right, no your honour. Case closed.
The job looks bad, weak mix etc. Get him back, if he's a decent human he will want to put it right. He should bear the cost. If he won't come back, then he obviously wasn't the tradesman he pretended to be. As it has been pointed out it is piss easy to criticise from afar (that's us here I'm talking about), and legally and perhaps morally, he should be offered the chance, to put it right. The question would be, does the OP feel able to trust him to do better, or indeed CAN he do better???

But render can't be corrected properly can it,how many properties have you seen where it's been patched in and looked crap and I don't really think the bloke will go back and take it all off and redo at his cost that's a day to hack off get rid of rubbish and scratch then top out again and depends how much is there could be 3-4 days work plus cost of materials yes some of us would do that but many wouldn't would they,a basic mistake like getting mix wrong is a costly mistake,wonder how much it cost and if was cheap then can probably see where this is gonna end up can't we,hope it does get resolved but bloke has pointed out the whole panel is crumbling away so it's 100% take off and redo

No it can't, but once the guy sees it if he has anything about him he will do the right thing by re doing it or giving the money back, he has a right to this surely

No it can't, but once the guy sees it if he has anything about him he will do the right thing by re doing it or giving the money back, he has a right to this surely
Yeah he has the right but we all know how this works don't we blokes on holiday said he pop round after his holiday he on a job and can't get there for a week after the week his van has died the cats being put down ect ect I hope he does go sort it and they get a solution but many a thread before has seen this go on, customer has given him the call so now it's a waiting game I hope I am wrong about it but I'm more swinging to I'm right how this is gonna unfold trust no one suspect everyone

f**k me the s**t u read on here at times. It's the sand that is the problem. U could mix at 7-1 and it still wouldn't Mark when you put a ladder to it. If you had good sand. I've seen it b4 and I'll see it again. I've used sand in the past that was lovely to use. Then a few days later it was starting to crack and going soft.. but what would I know we only use about 200 ton a year of sand and cement.

The OP says the plasterer in question is away until the end of the month, we had better wait until then to comment further, or we could hang him in his absence.....just saying. Hope it gets resolved satisfactorily.

The job looks bad, weak mix etc. Get him back, if he's a decent human he will want to put it right. He should bear the cost. If he won't come back, then he obviously wasn't the tradesman he pretended to be. As it has been pointed out it is piss easy to criticise from afar (that's us here I'm talking about), and legally and perhaps morally, he should be offered the chance, to put it right. The question would be, does the OP feel able to trust him to do better, or indeed CAN he do better???
Catch 22 now cos if he does honour it and re does it u can bet it's going to snagged to fcuk and if someone else does it the first the blokes problems then become his problems don't they

Catch 22 now cos if he does honour it and re does it u can bet it's going to snagged to fcuk and if someone else does it the first the blokes problems then become his problems don't they
Agreed Pagey, bad situation all round. But, better sand (mentioned), better mix/application =customer satisfied + plasterers (us) returned to god like status among reputable tradesmen......the OP mentioned "check a trade" if only he knew a BG approved spread!! Lol haha

Agreed Pagey, bad situation all round. But, better sand (mentioned), better mix/application =customer satisfied + plasterers (us) returned to god like status among reputable tradesmen......the OP mentioned "check a trade" if only he knew a BG approved spread!! Lol haha
We've all been there on these sort of jobs so I just know what is going to happen if he is going to correct it it will be in his leisure cos if they got paying work ain't going to do that while they busy are they,plus in the next 6 weeks the winter will be drawing in so rain snow ect all that would be putting a stop to job as well ain't even my job and I've made the excuses for the bloke already lol

f**k me the s**t u read on here at times. It's the sand that is the problem. U could mix at 7-1 and it still wouldn't Mark when you put a ladder to it. If you had good sand. I've seen it b4 and I'll see it again. I've used sand in the past that was lovely to use. Then a few days later it was starting to crack and going soft.. but what would I know we only use about 200 ton a year of sand and cement.
Is that in the 3 days a year you actually go to work :bananahappy:

Judging from the colour I'd say they used unwashed/building sand. Give the original spread the chance to put it right. It'll need to come off though.

Thanks for all the replies - I feel better equipped to argue the case for taking it all off and starting again. I will give him a chance to fix it.

Just out of interest - is Check-a-Trade not a good place to start when looking for plasterers etc. I didn't have any recommendations to go with from family, friends. The plasterer in question had over 150 excellent reviews.

I too would go for guy with 150 good reviews, unless he had 300 bad ones !!
Seriously, if he values his "good reviews" he won't want a bad one. Hope he comes back and you manage to get it resolved. All the best.

This guy is a plasterer not a renderer. He probably used soft sand but I have seen the sand and mix used correctly and still dry out soft and powdery. All it takes is rapid drying. More fool people for risking rendering done in summer, it can be more fatal than winter.

There is a way of maybe saving it. Soak it with a 1-1 sbr and water. I have done this on semi dry screed and it certainly works. Soak it in one go though, it wont work after the first soaking has dried.

Thanks for all the replies - I feel better equipped to argue the case for taking it all off and starting again. I will give him a chance to fix it.

Just out of interest - is Check-a-Trade not a good place to start when looking for plasterers etc. I didn't have any recommendations to go with from family, friends. The plasterer in question had over 150 excellent reviews.
Can you tell me , why there was no scaffolding used and how much did job cost ?

How on earth can you say it looks like a 7/1 from a photo?[emoji23]

Clemo is rite its most probably the sand and rigsby has hit nail on head with he's a plasterer not a renderer..ive done my fair share of rendering but id never call myself a renderer I'm a plasterer who can do some aspects of rendering..always leave rendering to outfits that do it day in and day out is advice id give I bet 90% of his reviews are based on internal plastering