Advice please

M2007

Hello. Decided to do some DIY. had a leak in my upstairs bathroom. And had to replace some of the plasterboard on the ceiling. There is now a 2 to 3mm step from where the new plasterboard and the original ceiling meets. Do i just put scrim tape and skim? Or skim up to the edge of plasterboard and then scrim tape? Totally new and thought i try my had at skimming. Everyone has to start somewhere right? Also do i prep the original painted skimmed ceiling with pva for 24 hours before skmming?

Hello. Decided to do some DIY. had a leak in my upstairs bathroom. And had to replace some of the plasterboard on the ceiling. There is now a 2 to 3mm step from where the new plasterboard and the original ceiling meets. Do i just put scrim tape and skim? Or skim up to the edge of plasterboard and then scrim tape? Totally new and thought i try my had at skimming. Everyone has to start somewhere right? Also do i prep the original painted skimmed ceiling with pva for 24 hours before skmming?View attachment 33765
That’s far too much of a task for an amateur to “just try their hand at skimming!”
Get a professional in, or you will really regret it.

Cool profile picture you have a bit of the Steven Hawkins about you...no offense.View attachment 33766

Ah. The cleverest man in the universe. Sat at the cleverest man in the universe's desk in Cambridge (Issac Newton) Worked out how black holes worked in his head cos he couldn't use a pen. 17 page equation in his head. I can't even work out if I got the right change from two pints.

Get it plastered and get them pics up, get to b&q and get ya self a lovely trowel and give it a whirl it's easy :descansando:

Ah. The cleverest man in the universe. Sat at the cleverest man in the universe's desk in Cambridge (Issac Newton) Worked out how black holes worked in his head cos he couldn't use a pen. 17 page equation in his head. I can't even work out if I got the right change from two pints.
They could of made that thing he speaks through a bit cooler! I would of gone for the Darth Vader voice!:ROFLMAO:

They could of made that thing he speaks through a bit cooler! I would of gone for the Darth Vader voice!:ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure it was him. I think he might have been a real spakker who was being used as a puppet by an evil mediocre scientist in need of a gimmick. Wheel him out by remote control and then hide behind the curtain with a microphone.

He was offered a better voice loads of times, but he turned them down. Not sure if anyone offered him a Darth Vader voice though. The thing to do would be to give him it while he's asleep.

Hello. Decided to do some DIY. had a leak in my upstairs bathroom. And had to replace some of the plasterboard on the ceiling. There is now a 2 to 3mm step from where the new plasterboard and the original ceiling meets. Do i just put scrim tape and skim? Or skim up to the edge of plasterboard and then scrim tape? Totally new and thought i try my had at skimming. Everyone has to start somewhere right? Also do i prep the original painted skimmed ceiling with pva for 24 hours before skmming?View attachment 33765
All for people to have a go as long as you realise it will probably look sh t , no offence but you would be better off with artex

Anyway as James said firstly more screws , look like 6'x3' boards so 3 more per row

No offence but you are better to not overskim the original so get a block of wood and drive a screw through by 2 mm ( maybe more )and scratch 2" or 3" of the original plaster along the join ( once you scratch several lines the plaster should be able to be rubbed off leaving the paper intact ) this will allow you to tape the joint
Sorry to disagree with Cockney and mcbendylegs but,,
Put the coving up after otherwise you will have edges to work to and keep neat , you don't want to be bothering with that on your first attempt , and to me it looks like existing was stuck on top of plaster

Every time, no ones allowed to do any diy plastering whatsoever as it pisses the ‘professionals’ off.
99% of the threads on this forum asking for advice, theres always somebody who posts "get a professional" or "get a plasterer.

It’s better to plaster the whole ceiling rather than patch that! Ffs!
Also get the coving up first.
Thought of that as well but the whole ceiling is overboarded due to lath and plaster. it was a nightmare just taking the affected section down. No way ill remove the whole ceiling unless i really need to.

All for people to have a go as long as you realise it will probably look sh t , no offence but you would be better off with artex

Anyway as James said firstly more screws , look like 6'x3' boards so 3 more per row

No offence but you are better to not overskim the original so get a block of wood and drive a screw through by 2 mm ( maybe more )and scratch 2" or 3" of the original plaster along the join ( once you scratch several lines the plaster should be able to be rubbed off leaving the paper intact ) this will allow you to tape the joint
Sorry to disagree with Cockney and mcbendylegs but,,
Put the coving up after otherwise you will have edges to work to and keep neat , you don't want to be bothering with that on your first attempt , and to me it looks like existing was stuck on top of plaster
Thanks.. thought my screws were enough but placed more screws just in case.. they are 180x60 9.5mm boards.. had to resize them to fit patch area. Yes. Coving will definetly go last for me. I wont have to worry about a neat finish on that side .

Just burn your house down mate and claim on insurance saves all the hassle of plastering that ceiling ya pleb!

In photo looks on top of plaster not skimmed up to

Yes but the new length will be on top of even more plaster where there two ends are.. if you skimmed between the two old lengths you'll add another layer onto the old ceiling, making the new length of coving sit lower where it joins each old length if that makes sense?

Why does that guy behind him look like he's gonna slap him on the ass and ride him like Seabiscuit :bananas::ROFLMAO::bananas:
What happens in space stays in space. Especially if you can delete bummed out of someone's vocabulary. What Cardinal Pell would give for that power, eh?

Yes but the new length will be on top of even more plaster where there two ends are.. if you skimmed between the two old lengths you'll add another layer onto the old ceiling, making the new length of coving sit lower where it joins each old length if that makes sense?
But wasn't suggesting skimming over old

Just burn your house down mate and claim on insurance saves all the hassle of plastering that ceiling ya pleb!
Hey matey call me what ever you like but a new member won't understand you calling him a pleb , :)