Advice please.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daviebhoy

Alrighty looking for a wee bit on advice I got a few jobs to price for a joiner. Normally I give price after seen the job .but he's wanting me to price about 140m2 of skimming .all ceillings I could give him a price per m2 but without seen it it could be heavy artex or staircases ect I always prefare to see jobs first so I no what I'm doing rather going in blind . What would yous do here and have yous been in this situation. I don't want to put in a price and doing myself for job been bigger than they are . ???

See the job....f**k pricing that sort of job over the phone....its not someone giving a ring saying I got 12 x 10 ceiling can you qoute me on the phone....atleast ask for photo's of all areas.

I would go look had one the other week try it on gave measurements but told him no either I look or ring someone else finally said ok come and have a look and guess what every ceiling had angles and velux windows in and also his measure was 112 meters out and he forgot to mention the ceiling height was 2.8 cheek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeh ano ats what I've says to him . If I turn up n it's worse than he says then your in a horrible situation. Definitely need to see it

Definetly have to see it,there's too many cnuts out there trying to pull a fast one.

The going rate for over skims on a decent scale refurb job is £14m2 ish all in if you go less than 12 you're cutting you're own throat

Tell him you got a really nice car in the garage he can't see it or know what it is but would he like to make a sensible offer.??? He might just get the picture then, can't see anyone having prob with you viewing jobs unless they trying to fuk you over or fkin lazy.

Give a worst case scenario and cover yourself should the ceilings or boarding be a croc of s**t!? And if he says its too dear say well tough!! Until i see whats what ? Im covering myself !!

Give a worst case scenario and cover yourself should the ceilings or boarding be a croc of s**t!? And if he says its too dear say well tough!! Until i see whats what ? Im covering myself !!

Exactly that or if you want to reel him in give him a good price and state in some terms on the quote based on square rooms flat ceilings good boarding etc etc then boom....extra extra read all about it

Exactly that or if you want to reel him in give him a good price and state in some terms on the quote based on square rooms flat ceilings good boarding etc etc then boom....extra extra read all about it

That usually causes problems once you arrive or start?
Id rather give a worst case they agree to then negotiate if need be after? Im not wasting my time going and starting a job and arguing the toss over this and that! f**k em!! If they agree a worst case then your fine

Always worst case scenario for me, take it or leave it, rather not work than stress over a job I wish I hadnt taken on!

Had a similar one recently, priced a loft conversion from a recommendation for a carpenter off of plans, over priced it to be safe, went and took a look half way through build though and managed to knock £400 off the job. Don't shoot yourself in the foot, never worth it!

I am put in this situation 2/3 times a week, the most favourite one at the minute is this little beauty

"We want our house rendering, it number 21 smith road, if you look on google maps it's the one with the red car on the drive, how much would it be"

My advice is go and view it, it could be peeling artex, lath & plaster hanging by the bare bones.

Do not give out any numbers until you've seen with your own eyes and touched the areas with your own hands.

What you think will be a quick couple of ceiling will end up being a house with no parking, cream carpets throughout, on the top floor of a 3 storey house that need boarding over first with the customer asking you to get water from outside as they don't want you in the bathroom.

It isn't just what it's going over its also the other stuff occupied not occupied parking ect all gotta go on the quote

Even the customer themselves affects the price, if you feel they may be hard work etc/ Ive priced blind in past and always regretted it! Even when its a simple ceiling, on ground floor, its never how you imagined it to be when you get there!

I priced a job off of a description from a text and a photo. Wasn't a big job just skimming round a new built in wardrobe, but I quoted £250. I got the job and when I got there realised i'd be finished by about 11.30 so adjusted the price and told the customer i'd over charged a bit cos I expected it to be bigger. At the end he gave me the full £250 and said thanks for your honesty!!

I priced a job off of a description from a text and a photo. Wasn't a big job just skimming round a new built in wardrobe, but I quoted £250. I got the job and when I got there realised i'd be finished by about 11.30 so adjusted the price and told the customer i'd over charged a bit cos I expected it to be bigger. At the end he gave me the full £250 and said thanks for your honesty!!
But on other hand would you of charged more if the job ran into say 2-3 days

But on other hand would you of charged more if the job ran into say 2-3 days

It was never going to run over a few days to be honest. I don't normaly price without seeing it, but I knew the joiner who had built the wardrobes and his work is always good so knew there wouldn't be any problems

It was never going to run over a few days to be honest. I don't normaly price without seeing it, but I knew the joiner who had built the wardrobes and his work is always good so knew there wouldn't be any problems
It was more a hyperthetical question more based on going in blind

How can anyone price a job unseen?.you are just playing a game of chance as there are so many variables and unknowns that could realy give you a bad day. If its to far to go and have a look at then its to far to do.imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.