Advice please, patching wall/reskim

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG01

Hello, first post so go easy on me. Might be a bit long winded, so I apologise in advance!

I'm currently plastering 3 walls in the front room of my 1930's house. They were lined with paper when we moved in, and underneath the existing plaster was pretty ropey, coming off in places. I have finished 2 of the walls, removing damaged plaster, patching with bonding and then skimming over with multi. This seems to have worked ok, and I'm satisfied with the result (see photos).

The third wall (which includes windows) is a little more challenging, and is what I need some advice on. The existing plaster is in a worse state and I have had to remove more of it. The bottom section of the wall has been skimmed over pretty badly (10mm thick final coat in places, falls off easily) so I have removed the final coat, underneath seems solid. I have removed a fair bit of plaster around the windows, back to brick in places. See photos.

My questions:

1. What is my best option for the window reveals? I was going to use bonding again to patch before skimming, but I've heard this is not the best for around the windows on bare brick. I read somewhere that sand and cement would be better? If so what ratio/any additives? How long do I leave it before skimming?

2. There was upvc trim fitted at a right angle to the windows where the wall meets the window frame. Underneath this is a gap where there is no plaster. Is there any reason for this, or would it have been done to save time when the windows were fitted? Presumably I can get rid of it and plaster right up to the window frame? Also, there is a bit of a gap between the brick and the window frame, should I fill this (expanding foam?) where I can reach it, or just leave it?

3. I have also boarded the ceiling where I did a joist repair so will have to plaster over that. It is lath and plaster, see photo of join, there is up to 2" of lath showing in places. I was going to pva the gap, fill with bonding, scrim over join, pva, then skim over. Sound ok?

Think that's about it. Obviously I would be better getting a pro to do it!.. but money's a bit tight and I'm keen to challenge myself as I'm thinking of trying to get into the trade.

On that note, if anyone could offer a couple of days labour/intermediate work to gain experience, let me know. I'm in Bristol. I'll put a post up in the appropriate section at some point.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Advice please, patching wall/reskim
    01.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 450
    02.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 433
    03.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 448
    04.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 396
    05.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 393
    06.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 382
    07.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 393
    08.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 390
Just keep doing what your doing. Looks fine. As long as your happy with it that's all that matters.

All you have said is fine. Go with that. Good luck and welcome along.

1. What is my best option for the window reveals? I was going to use bonding again to patch before skimming, but I've heard this is not the best for around the windows on bare brick. I read somewhere that sand and cement would be better? If so what ratio/any additives? How long do I leave it before skimming?

sand and cement would be better for sure...

2. There was upvc trim fitted at a right angle to the windows where the wall meets the window frame. Underneath this is a gap where there is no plaster. Is there any reason for this, or would it have been done to save time when the windows were fitted? Presumably I can get rid of it and plaster right up to the window frame? Also, there is a bit of a gap between the brick and the window frame, should I fill this (expanding foam?) where I can reach it, or just leave it?

the plastic trim is there to hide the gap when the windows were fitted... so yes plaster up to that... the gap can be filled with expanding foam

3. I have also boarded the ceiling where I did a joist repair so will have to plaster over that. It is lath and plaster, see photo of join, there is up to 2" of lath showing in places. I was going to pva the gap, fill with bonding, scrim over join, pva, then skim over. Sound ok?

That will do it....

dont use bonding on out side walls it will draw out moisture in walls you should sand and cementand lime and waterproofer it or dry line the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.