Advice please - mesh or back to brick ?

Members online

ScottishLass

Hello everyone …
Can I please ask the experts for some advise ? Our house is almost 100 years old . The plaster has obvious lumps and bumps on it to the naked eye from far away even when covered with wallpaper .

I have stripped the wallpaper off in regions in some rooms around the bumps . 1 or 2 pics attached Parts of the wall also sound hollow when tapped.

I have had one plasterer say that it needs to be taken back to brick and then plasterboard and then skimmed .

Another has said that you can add a mesh over the existing plaster including walls and then skim over ?

I don’t know which is right ?

In one room , the plaster crumbles as the wallpaper comes off .

Not heard of meshing and obviously not an expert.
Mesh man said that this would be much cheaper than taking it back to brick and then plaster boarding .

If there are extension regions as there are on the walls is this suitable ?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• A1E23D03-476F-41CC-AB77-723F6129517A.jpeg
    A1E23D03-476F-41CC-AB77-723F6129517A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 153
  • 087847A4-36DC-42EF-BD79-A98E97E7CBB9.jpeg
    087847A4-36DC-42EF-BD79-A98E97E7CBB9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • 267087FC-186D-443B-B315-B77D5A4CD12E.jpeg
    267087FC-186D-443B-B315-B77D5A4CD12E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 137
  • 4508F031-EF8E-47F7-9BE3-24751B044F1F.jpeg
    4508F031-EF8E-47F7-9BE3-24751B044F1F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 140
All off and back to brick for a proper job. I’d float and set it in solid plaster (nothing like a solid wall), but you could board it and skim it. Mesh man is dreaming…can’t polish a turd, looks f**k*d. How many rooms need doing?

Parts of the wall also sound hollow when tapped.

That means it's almost certainly blown (delaminated) from the wall.

I have had one plasterer say that it needs to be taken back to brick and then plasterboard and then skimmed .

Another has said that you can add a mesh over the existing plaster including walls and then skim over ?

As Lastlaff said, plasterer #1 is correct that it should be hacked off back to the brick.

If a wall is mildly crazed but not blown, then it is 'possible' to overlay it with mesh and skim, to save the expense of hacking everything off, but it's not best practice, and it's downright foolhardy if you know your wall is actually blown.

Very common with old lime plaster in late 19th/early 20th century properties.

If you can afford it, it's best to bite the bullet and hack it all off.

If you can't afford to go back to brick, then you may be tempted to bodge it for now with mesh and skim over the existing plaster, but don't be surprised if you have problems a few years down the line. When plaster gets to the stage of blowing and crumbling, it can easily be pulled off the brick in big crumbly sheets. Anyone who's never seen this may be shocked at how easily it pulls off the wall.

The biggest factor in your case is the walls sounding hollow, which is a pretty reliable indicator that it's blown. Adding mesh and skim on top of plaster that's already blown from the wall is really not clever (although I don't deny that it happens on a daily basis, in households up and down the country).

That means it's almost certainly blown (delaminated) from the wall.

As Lastlaff said, plasterer #1 is correct that it should be hacked off back to the brick.

If a wall is mildly crazed but not blown, then it is 'possible' to overlay it with mesh and skim, to save the expense of hacking everything off, but it's not best practice, and it's downright foolhardy if you know your wall is actually blown.

Very common with old lime plaster in late 19th/early 20th century properties.

If you can afford it, it's best to bite the bullet and hack it all off.

If you can't afford to go back to brick, then you may be tempted to bodge it for now with mesh and skim over the existing plaster, but don't be surprised if you have problems a few years down the line. When plaster gets to the stage of blowing and crumbling, it can easily be pulled off the brick in big crumbly sheets. Anyone who's never seen this may be shocked at how easily it pulls off the wall.

The biggest factor in your case is the walls sounding hollow, which is a pretty reliable indicator that it's blown. Adding mesh and skim on top of plaster that's already blown from the wall is really not clever (although I don't deny that it happens on a daily basis, in households up and down the country).
One day I.ll read all of one of your post

Plasterboard and skim don’t get me wrong it’s quick and effective but you can’t beat float and set if you can afford it get it solid plastered will last for years

Hello everyone …
Can I please ask the experts for some advise ? Our house is almost 100 years old . The plaster has obvious lumps and bumps on it to the naked eye from far away even when covered with wallpaper .

I have stripped the wallpaper off in regions in some rooms around the bumps . 1 or 2 pics attached Parts of the wall also sound hollow when tapped.

Not heard of meshing and obviously not an expert.
Mesh man said that this would be much cheaper than taking it back to brick and then plaster boarding .

If there are extension regions as there are on the walls is this suitable ?

Many thanks in advance
Yes

Local shop. Pm ye address I.lll send you a bag if you can't get em

Cheers for the offer. I can get 'em off Amazon easily enough and I do have some ethnic shops in the next big town from me, which are bound to have them (y)

ASDA used to sell their own rolled-up tortilla chips which were nice.

Back in my schooldays, I used to like Nik Naks, but I'm showing my age with that!

Cheers for the offer. I can get 'em off Amazon easily enough and I do have some ethnic shops in the next big town from me, which are bound to have them (y)

Back in my schooldays, I used to like Nik Naks, but I'm showing my age with that!
Knew a kid who when he was born they used forceps big time deformed his head then he got tumour in his eye and he had that cut out and made his head worse shape so we used to call him Nik Nak Head

I still like nnik naks

Scampi Fries was another one. Might not like them if I tried them now. Must be 30yrs since I had a pack of Nik Naks or Scampi Fries - god, I feel old!!

Dammit, now you're gonna make me end up buying old skool snacks tomorrow! :ROFLMAO:

Scampi Fries was another one. Might not like them if I tried them now. Must be 30yrs since I had a pack of Nik Naks or Scampi Fries - god, I feel old!!

Dammit, now you're gonna make me end up buying old skool snacks tomorrow! :ROFLMAO:
I likenthe scampi crisps as well lol .
No skool like old skool