Advice on Silicone render please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullivan

Hi . I am interested in finding a product similar to the wetherby system which has a GRP reinforcement mesh which you can attach directly to the brick work before applying render. We don't have the room to add the insulation so only looking to add the primer layer and then the silicon type coloured finish. We have had a quote of £1500 to render 22sq meters which doesn't impress. Does any one know of a similar system that I could buy over the counter that would do the same job. ??? Thanks John

if you don't like the price then ring more renderers to see what the going rate is for your area and judge it against what experience and portfolio they bring to the table!

On the face of it the price seems very fair...more likely its your expectation of price that is out not the tradesman quote!

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn:rolleyes)

Me too, just done a 24m job using krend thin coat, priced it at 1800, the guys wife said is there diamonds in it, customers think I'm trying it on but they don't take in to account how much the materials cost, I have to be a f u c k ing sales man as well a plasterer just to get these jobs these days.

22m2 doesn't sound much but for what it it worth i could be 40m2 and the labour costs will be the same.

First there is a trip to apply the algicide and leave for at least 24 hrs. Then return and pressure wash off and clean the wall. Leave the wall to dry out. 3rd visit apply your base coat, mesh and if possible top layer if the temperature will allow a reasonable setting time if not then yet another day. Then 4/5th visit apply primer and leave to dry, then 5/6th visit apply silicone coat, then a 6/7th visit to apply sealant to window and door frames.

One of those annoying little jobs you wished you never looked at in the first place.

Materials are pricey and there's a lot of messing around involved with the system,especially if the job small and a few miles away

22m2 doesn't sound much but for what it it worth i could be 40m2 and the labour costs will be the same.

First there is a trip to apply the algicide and leave for at least 24 hrs. Then return and pressure wash off and clean the wall. Leave the wall to dry out. 3rd visit apply your base coat, mesh and if possible top layer if the temperature will allow a reasonable setting time if not then yet another day. Then 4/5th visit apply primer and leave to dry, then 5/6th visit apply silicone coat, then a 6/7th visit to apply sealant to window and door frames.

One of those annoying little jobs you wished you never looked at in the first place.

exactlty rigsby!!!

joe public will never ever understand!!!!

You leave your primer for a day?

Hi . I am interested in finding a product similar to the wetherby system which has a GRP reinforcement mesh which you can attach directly to the brick work before applying render. We don't have the room to add the insulation so only looking to add the primer layer and then the silicon type coloured finish. We have had a quote of £1500 to render 22sq meters which doesn't impress. Does any one know of a similar system that I could buy over the counter that would do the same job. ??? Thanks John

Forget how many metres you don't have mate. 22 sq is never going to be priced on a metre rate.

Its a job price.
If you have 100m then maybe....

Usually but then most of my work is on ocr not thin coat. Can't afford to have any suction so I leave to well dry. Always 2 coat primer on ocr.
Coorrr. Belts and braces. No wonder your too expensive 2 coats!lol fair play.
We always think. How many people walk past a job being primed and go. They surely cant be painting that. Looks ****!!! Before you get a chance to topcoat

OCR does pull through the primer a tad more than polymer adhesives but its not worth the cost of 2 coats a primer rigs surely... Also some bucket coat texture hangs a tad longer than others such as webers you get more time with weber sil than say Parex DPR.
That said Parex primer is the best I have used. Solid coat in one pass its like masonry paint....no need for 2 coats there Jon.anyway rigs I though weber was off the menu what's with using ocr

OCR does pull through the primer a tad more than polymer adhesives but its not worth the cost of 2 coats a primer rigs surely... Also some bucket coat texture hangs a tad longer than others such as webers you get more time with weber sil than say Parex DPR.
That said Parex primer is the best I have used. Solid coat in one pass its like masonry paint....no need for 2 coats there Jon.anyway rigs I though weber was off the menu what's with using ocr

Got to agree john. I try not to usd ocr if poss because the ocr does tend to creep through. A nice system made bascoat is lovely to trxture over. I tend to prime an hour before topcoat

Kilsaran and Jub ocr john.

Is the JUB base the one that was sliding off the mesh tho ? How much per bag mate.
Kilsaran is cpi isn it ? Not sure on the big stones in the cpi.

Kilsaran is gritty and Jub is finer than W's. Think the problem with the Jub was putting 10mm on their Vezercryl primer. No suction at all and it slid off. Next time half spray and mesh, let pick up then second pass. In the colder months it will be over 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.