Advice on rendering external basement wall

plumma

Hello,

I have a customer who has a basement flat garden at front of the house, she wants the wall re-rendered, it's got some cracking in it and she's not too happy with the finish.

So basically behind the wall is the road/street/water table etc

What's the best approach to rendering it, I have no idea what's behind it, drainage or tanking etc.

If I render it and paint it, then there's a good chance the render will be blown in a few years with the water/freeze cycle behind it.

To be fair there are thousands of houses in London like this, I am hoping someone with experience rendering them has had some degree of success.

Thanks.

render 2.jpg

render 1.jpg

Knock it off and use a Sika 1,2,3 system. The final coat can be rubbed up smooth. Job done.

Knock it off and use a Sika 1,2,3 system. The final coat can be rubbed up smooth. Job done.
Thanks Rossi.

Looks like a nice system, I've calculated it's £52.50 per m2 for all three layers, it's gonna cost £520 just for the materials on one small wall, seems very expensive, but from what I have read it can withstand high hydrostatic pressure.

Have you used it before, is it easy to use?

If I am honest I am not sure she'll go for that.

Is there a cheaper 'tanking' solution using standard render throwing in a bit of customer expectations in the mix? :)

Cheers.

Thanks Rossi.

Looks like a nice system, I've calculated it's £52.50 per m2 for all three layers, it's gonna cost £520 just for the materials on one small wall, seems very expensive, but from what I have read it can withstand high hydrostatic pressure.

Is there a cheaper 'tanking' solution using standard render throwing in a bit of customer expectations in the mix? :)

Cheers.

platon system

Thanks Rossi.

Cheers.
You could buy a bagged sand and cement and use sika 1 as an additive. It’s extremely good at holding water back. That’s a cheap option.