Advice on Rendering a Sculpture Pedestal

DouglasP

Good Evening,

I've gleaned a lot of excellent advice from browsing the forums, but I was hoping to gather some specific guidance by detailing the project I'm approaching.

I'm looking to construct several pedestals of varying sizes to display sculptures. Creating them out of concrete would be pretty impractical due to space and maneuverability, and so I've decided to render them instead. Its definitely a concrete styled finish which I'm after.

I've seen a product called Ardex Feather Finish put to good use on laminate counter tops, floors, and walls, and although I've got a general idea of which substrates work best, I'm unsure of exactly which one to use for a pedestal which would need to be moved and handled - however lightly - between my workshop and the gallery.

The attached thumbnail is the largest pedestal (the others are similarly rectangular, or cubes, or flatter) and measures 5 feet long by 2 feet high and 2 feet wide.

My intention is to build the frames of the pedestals out of 2x2's, to make them sturdy, and to then clad them in a substrate.

The weight of the sculptures which will eventually sit on the pedestals is relatively negligible, being made out of paper mâché. The pedestals will remain stationary on site, but would need to be hardy enough to be lifted onto dolly's or the like when in transport.

Ultimately I'm looking for a relatively simple construction process (I have no genuinely heavy machining tools) with a piece which is sturdy and proofed against cracking or deterioration.

What I'd love to gather some insight and advice on is:

a) Which substrate would be most suitable for such a project?
b) I realise render isn't an everlasting material; is there a maximal durability I can aim for in the
choice of render and the substrate? Is something like the Feather Finish suitable?

Thanks Kindly for your time and thoughts on this, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Douglas

Ardex Feather Finish: http://www.ardexamericas.com/en-us/...preparation-toppings/Pages/FEATHERFINISH.aspx
Examples of the product, many more can be found online: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/a-cheap-fix-diy-concretefinish-floors-walls-countertops-202922

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 373
That's no doubt the solution to a lot of questions where you're from Ivor, a pastime even, but it doesn't quite hit the mark here, its rendering advice I'm after.

If you've got to move them - weights key.

If im moving it then I'd marmox or wedi board it, finish it how you like.

Sucking dogs works too. ;)

If it's for internal use which if the statues are paper mache I would think yes and you want the look of concrete but without the weight, I would build the frame and board with plasterboard, brad all the angles with skim beads then skim with magnetic plaster :) the finish is identical to a concrete finish and would make them light.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    15 MB · Views: 281
  • image.jpeg
    15 MB · Views: 272
Thanks Kindly for all the suggestions! Its a big help.

I'm an expat out in Dallas, Texas so the product brands are a little different. I'm guessing the marmox or the plasterboard are pretty comparable to hardiebacker? (http://www.homedepot.com/p/James-Ha...gorylevel2horizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100183556-_-N)

The backer board route definitely looks like the best solution. Out of interest though, if I built them on site and had no need to move them, or any need for them to last, would building them out of ply, with a waterproof felt overlay, and some fiberglass mesh on the top with skim beads on the corners; would that hold up for a month or two?

Flynnyman, the magnetic plaster looks damned amazing! For whatever reason they don't have it out here though, I think I'm stuck with the Ardex.

Thanks Kindly for all the suggestions! Its a big help.

I'm an expat out in Dallas, Texas so the product brands are a little different. I'm guessing the marmox or the plasterboard are pretty comparable to hardiebacker? (http://www.homedepot.com/p/James-Ha...gorylevel2horizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100183556-_-N)

The backer board route definitely looks like the best solution. Out of interest though, if I built them on site and had no need to move them, or any need for them to last, would building them out of ply, with a waterproof felt overlay, and some fiberglass mesh on the top with skim beads on the corners; would that hold up for a month or two?

Flynnyman, the magnetic plaster looks damned amazing! For whatever reason they don't have it out here though, I think I'm stuck with the Ardex.

Ardex is that the Texan version of Artex?