Advice on plastering keystones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doofer

I have been asked to form keystones and bands on a job, does anyone have some advice for me on forming the keystones please? :confused:

:RpS_lol: @Marshy turns out some lovely quoin stones and bands , seen some of his work , it's bang on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they not show you how to do them on the plastering course you went on to become a plasterer then?

Cut the shapes out of paving slabs and stick to the corners of house, use board adhesive to stick them on and use some long board screws for extra support :RpS_thumbsup: thank me when you get paid Dave

I have been asked to form keystones and bands on a job, does anyone have some advice for me on forming the keystones please? :confused:

Search the threads on here Mark Ross has posted some pics of very good examples of this type of work

I wouldn't bother reading up davethedog , just do what I suggested. If you don't fancy using slabs just cut some timber into the shapes you want and screw them straight on top of your floated wall. Scaffold boards would work :RpS_thumbsup: just get me drink when your all paid up

I wouldn't bother reading up davethedog , just do what I suggested. If you don't fancy using slabs just cut some timber into the shapes you want and screw them straight on top of your floated wall. Scaffold boards would work :RpS_thumbsup: just get me drink when your all paid up

Doofer??? Or daviedog oli...?:confused:

Think a few other posters thought the same.....:RpS_laugh::RpS_laugh:

you back on the sauce....:RpS_sneaky:

Poor doofer.... asks for advice and gets treated like a dog:RpS_lol:

can only apoligise on behalf of my fellow forum members doofer:rolleyes)

Last edited:
Think a few other posters thought the same.....:RpS_laugh::RpS_laugh:

you back on the sauce....:RpS_sneaky:

Sobriety is a terrible disease bud, I wouldn't wish it on anyone :RpS_scared: my apologies doofer, I....er........thought you were someone else :rolleyes)

Sobriety is a terrible disease bud, I wouldn't wish it on anyone :RpS_scared: my apologies doofer, I....er........thought you were someone else :rolleyes)
mabye thats the problem oli???? You need a night on the lash:RpS_thumbup:.....your crackin up man!:-0

mabye thats the problem oli???? You need a night on the lash:RpS_thumbup:.....your crackin up man!:-0

Starting to get a vampire like thirst on :RpS_drool: it's on the cards....got a horrible feeling right now ; clear vision, thinking clearly, coherent speech and lack o nausea...it's a terrible sensation :-0

Starting to get a vampire like thirst on :RpS_drool: it's on the cards....got a horrible feeling right now ; clear vision, thinking clearly, coherent speech and lack o nausea...it's a terrible sensation :-0

sounds tea totally insane to me :RpS_lol:

put the scratch coat on.
float both sides of the corner to say about 500mm - its got to be a good thick coat.
when its ready rub it up.
using a plumb line mark the render from the top to the bottom at the measurement you want forthe largest quoins.
do the same both sides.
divide the hieght of the wall into the widths of the individual quoins.
using a ashlar tool mark out the joinnts starting from the top - make sure you have the tool the correct way up ( you want the bottom angle sloped up so the rain drips off)
as you work down one side remove the render next to the smaller of the two quoins.
then do the same the other side

I normally draw them on a piece of card, cut out reticulations & then brush over with polyester resin to form a stencil.

Keystones or quoins? Keystone is the highest stone at the top of an arch. If exterior & over about 75mm projection make an armature frame with screws & wire block out then then shutter to correct depth, case it falls on somdies noggin

as far as i know and it s just because i have done hundreds of them quoins are the halfs taken out and keystones are when there left in u just do the v cut

the quoin stones are used to strengthen the corners in masonry, sometimes rusticated with v joints, sometimes square, ashlar, hammer dressed, sometimes of random size. Imitated in mortar to suit. Keystones are the single stone above arches, more often than not larger and projecting, sometimes carved or lettered. The surrounding stones that make up he arch construction are voussoirs. More often interior arches have semi circular moulds with a Keystone in centre
Cheers

Quoins sometimes called rybats/ rybats normally around Windows which will rebate, ie the the half on the face which returns around the corner

Definetly get some one on board to help you out.
I have just completed a job with ashlar bands,rusticated quoins with window details and keystones
It will be impossible for someone to help you without being on site.
If your not confident you can do the work,I would'nt start the job mate

Status
Not open for further replies.