Advice on newbuild sites

Members online

sam231

Hello i didn't want to ask this on FB groups as I've seen people get trashed for the smallest of posts

Im looking for advice how to tender for a site plastering. It's something i know nothing about but want to learn and understand.

Also need to know what's required. I looked at getting my gold card for supervisor but i can't get this as im not in the role. Would the sssts be accepted until i can possibly win a site and then do the course and other possible courses. No one will tell me anything its like some secret society i can't get info from. I would appreciate any info you can give

I want to know also how to present the tender when pricing. Do you have it out in house type with cost and then a total. Ive no idea but i want to understand. Please help

Hello i didn't want to ask this on FB groups as I've seen people get trashed for the smallest of posts

Im looking for advice how to tender for a site plastering. It's something i know nothing about but want to learn and understand.

Also need to know what's required. I looked at getting my gold card for supervisor but i can't get this as im not in the role. Would the sssts be accepted until i can possibly win a site and then do the course and other possible courses. No one will tell me anything its like some secret society i can't get info from. I would appreciate any info you can give

I want to know also how to present the tender when pricing. Do you have it out in house type with cost and then a total. Ive no idea but i want to understand. Please help

What scale is your company now?

What scale is your company now?
Basically just started it with another plasterer. Been friends since school. We subcontract and do new builds every day. Ive had a company ask me to tender but looking at the PQQ they asked a lot on health and safety and on site supervisor. Im looking at doing the sssts course, Health and Safety all Citb. Only problem is if they don't accept them and only the gold card that i can't do until in the role, no point in doing the courses. I need advice & guidance.

Email house builders explaining who you are and what you do.
You will get a call and be put on the tenders list.
It really should roll from there.

Driving on site and speaking to contract managers will also help if there unhappy with current contractors.

first thing is you do need to have enough money to finance the works. you need to start small with local developers. make sure the payments are every 2 weeks, NOT 90 days. you do need to have a decent size workforce. the developers will require 8 houses this week and none the week after.
for large contracts, purchase a copy of construction news.

My input for what it’s worth,
By the sound of it, I’d get some more experience in the game first.
It’s about scale is tendering,and who you know. It’s taken Me years to build up my business and contacts and cash flow, with a proven track record of delivery projects on time etc.
You need money to finance jobs,adequate staff, adequate h+s policies in place, you’ll need chas, adequate Insurances etc the list is endless.
You’ll just get plans some times a bill of quants and a specification.
It’s not a license to print money by any means, you’ll sign contracts with fixed dates Etc of which you are legally bound to.
Most outfits will already have contractors in place whom they’ve used for years, getting your foot on there door will be difficult. Asking on Sites is good for a start if your wanting subbing work , asking to be contractor your going to struggle.

Last edited:
They will have you pricing their jobs for free
That’s exactly it,
What annoys me is when they don’t sent a bill of quants out, they expect you to do a take off from plans yourself. Even though every project will have one with the plans and spec.

That’s exactly it,
What annoys me is when they don’t sent a bill of quants out, they expect you to do a take off from plans yourself. Even though every project will have one with the plans and spec.

contracts were always subject to a remeasure. with no bill of quants sent out , you can not correct your invoice.

I stopped doing quantity surveyors work for them after 20 years of hoping and never getting a job. They are using you to price for a job they haven’t even got themselves.

Owls has got it all covered in his posts but get your quotes written up right.

My input for what it’s worth,
By the sound of it, I’d get some more experience in the game first.
It’s about scale is tendering,and who you know. It’s taken Me years to build up my business and contacts and cash flow, with a proven track record of delivery projects on time etc.
You need money to finance jobs,adequate staff, adequate h+s policies in place, you’ll need chas, adequate Insurances etc the list is endless.
You’ll just get plans some times a bill of quants and a specification.
It’s not a license to print money by any means, you’ll sign contracts with fixed dates Etc of which you are legally bound to.
Most outfits will already have contractors in place whom they’ve used for years, getting your foot on there door will be difficult. Asking on Sites is good for a start if your wanting subbing work , asking to be contractor your going to struggle.

Thanks i know its not going to be easy. Im currently just getting everything in place and gaining knowledge. Im in the process of chas registration and all hse policy. Im in no rush just want everything in place. I've been talking to contract managers who said would put in a word as I've known them years. But im just gathering info and getting set up to be able to be in a position to tender if i want to.. Thanks for the info its going to take a While for me or my company to be ready i want everything done right

I stopped doing quantity surveyors work for them after 20 years of hoping and never getting a job. They are using you to price for a job they haven’t even got themselves.

Owls has got it all covered in his posts but get your quotes written up right.
So your saying you was pricing the tenders and getting no where? i wont be doing it all the time to get nothing back. My plans to go see directors and talk to them at head office if I can any one high up, higher the better. I've got nothing to loose.

Gaz, listen to Owls and Rigsby - years of experience worth more than money. As an ex-site QS I know they speak the truth. The Directors do not want to talk to a plasterer, they have contract managers and site agents, and if big enough, QS's to handle that.
Most small/mid sized jobs don't have bills of quants because they cost money to produce. They use typical £/m2 overall building costs to get the budget then expect the Agent to stay within it. They don't want to incur more costs printing or sending take-off quants out if they do have them. Even most site QS's don't have enough trade knowledge to accurately price plastering and renderering jobs.

So your saying you was pricing the tenders and getting no where? i wont be doing it all the time to get nothing back. My plans to go see directors and talk to them at head office if I can any one high up, higher the better. I've got nothing to loose.

jump straight in mate.
sink or swim.
all the best too ya (y)

Thanks i know its not going to be easy. Im currently just getting everything in place and gaining knowledge. Im in the process of chas registration and all hse policy. Im in no rush just want everything in place. I've been talking to contract managers who said would put in a word as I've known them years. But im just gathering info and getting set up to be able to be in a position to tender if i want to.. Thanks for the info its going to take a While for me or my company to be ready i want everything done right
Concentrate on building up your working capital before doing anything else.

Concentrate on building up your working capital before doing anything else.
Thanks for all the info appreciate it. I'm not doing it alone which will make it more easy on the financial side. It will be a massive learning experience but if I don't try I will regret it in the future

A few other question. How are plans sent out by pdf email or by post?

What's the best way to measure up per sq-m?. If pdf any programs about as technology is good today if its paper then a ruler.

Once you have all the measurements how do you present it to them. Per house type and then total.

Thanks

Do they pay you as a contractor minus tax. Do you add that on when pricing.
I know that I would have to take off 20% for subcontractor cis but I've no idea in contactors have a percent off them and then subcontractors so you must have to have this in mind when pricing. May sound a daft question but I've no idea sorry

Youve hit the nail on the head there,your right you’ve no idea.asking questions like this on a forum is just daft.
Start at the bottom and work your way up gaining experience and wisdom on the way up.

Mate, This really isn't going to happen like you think it does.

Your not going to go from a sole trader contractor to main contractor etc just by tendering.

I don't expect anything to come from it at all and I'm ok with that. All I want is some one to explain the workings of it all, It would be nice, anyway I'm not going to bother going any further with it and asking for advice on something that i know nothing about and trying with it. But if you don't ask you will never know anything. Thanks tho for your help.

I don't expect anything to come from it at all and I'm ok with that. All I want is some one to explain the workings of it all, It would be nice, anyway I'm not going to bother going any further with it and asking for advice on something that i know nothing about and trying with it. But if you don't ask you will never know anything. Thanks tho for your help.
keep at it mate, you will get there.