Advice on Lime Skim

kristeva

Hi all

I'm renovating a very old house and reached the point where I need to start plastering some walls. I've got a young plasterer involved, he's keen to help but not used lime before so any advice would be much appreciated.

Most of the lime plaster on my brick walls are sound, but for my lath & plaster walls I've had to replace some small sections of lime plaster that fell out with standard plasterboard. I'll scrim tape the joints between the boards and between the boards and the original lime plaster and use standard gypsum multi finish to prep them before the skim.

I've been looking at St. Astier Ecomortar R50 or R100 as it appears to be suitable for multiple backgrounds and you don't seem to need to prime the surface first. Or are there any cheaper alternatives? Can you create your own primer with Lime putty diluted with water? Are there any particular brands / methods people would recommend to skim a Lime wall?

Apologies for all the questions. I'm not expecting anything as flat or polished as multi finish, and thats fine. I'd appreciate any advice from people with experience of lime.

Thanks

P

Hi all

I'm renovating a very old house and reached the point where I need to start plastering some walls. I've got a young plasterer involved, he's keen to help but not used lime before so any advice would be much appreciated.

Most of the lime plaster on my brick walls are sound, but for my lath & plaster walls I've had to replace some small sections of lime plaster that fell out with standard plasterboard. I'll scrim tape the joints between the boards and between the boards and the original lime plaster and use standard gypsum multi finish to prep them before the skim.

I've been looking at St. Astier Ecomortar R50 or R100 as it appears to be suitable for multiple backgrounds and you don't seem to need to prime the surface first. Or are there any cheaper alternatives? Can you create your own primer with Lime putty diluted with water? Are there any particular brands / methods people would recommend to skim a Lime wall?

Apologies for all the questions. I'm not expecting anything as flat or polished as multi finish, and thats fine. I'd appreciate any advice from people with experience of lime.

Thanks

P
@Casper

The is no chance a young lad with no experience could undertake this work. Your questions are a insult and any one who undertakes this work would be a fool to help you. The reason lime plastering is expensive is your paying for years of knowledge this my friend is not free to people who won’t part with their cash!

The is no chance a young lad with no experience could undertake this work. Your questions are a insult and any one who undertakes this work would be a fool to help you. The reason lime plastering is expensive is your paying for years of knowledge this my friend is not free to people who won’t part with their cash!
Most definitely well said