Advice on getting bowed ceiling plastered

Members online

BMJT

Hopefully posting this in the right place, please move if wrong — I've taken down a previously boarded ceiling in a first floor room (below the loft) that was in bad shape, and found the 2x4 joists to be bowing around an inch at the lowest point. The house is around 100 years old so sizing and deflection of joists is to be expected, but i'm wondering would this safe to simply have reboarded and skimmed if I was to firm it all up by adding the necessary noggins? (The joists are around 400 centres) I'm trying to avoid attempting to correct the joists or installing a new ceiling if possible.

I've done a lot of reading around here to gather some opinions from similar threads, but thought it good to ask outright in case I might be going wrong.

Thanks.

Joist hangers may of been removed in the loft. Get some long planks 1 for the floor 2 for the ceiling. Acro prop them up then re fit hangers on to a brace across the top side of the ceiling

From lowest point attach straight joist on side of this one using 100mm screws. Then carry on from there to re joist entire ceiling then board.

Lot of f**k**g tho juSt get someone to board it

Thanks both, I should have said that the joists are sitting on top of the walls, rather than hung on them. They are just skew nailed into the wall plate.

Trying to avoid doing building work as BC will need to get involved, including an extra £200 to pay. But obviously will do if necessary.

Ideally just want to get a good enough finish for now if that's possible.

I'm definitely planning to get someone in, just want to know if it's salvageable in current state (with additional noggins etc.) Just need a good finish for selling in a few years. So you guys think that it will be fine to have boarded?

I'm definitely planning to get someone in, just want to know if it's salvageable in current state (with additional noggins etc.) Just need a good finish for selling in a few years. So you guys think that it will be fine to have boarded?
Put a few pics up?

Took these a while ago, can take more if needed, hard to get a good shot of everything.

Edit: Just realised the confusion as i've put this in the DIY thread by mistake, wasn't sure where to put a general request for advice. I'm definitely not planning on doing all the work myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 396
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Nice once boys, appreciate the input. Feeling a lot better now.

Ha, no engineer, just a concerned homeowner. Been reading some horror stories about cracks on here and just wanted to be safe.

Nice once boys, appreciate the input. Feeling a lot better now.

Ha, no engineer, just a concerned homeowner. Been reading some horror stories about cracks on here and just wanted to be safe.

The only way you will get cracks is if you use the loft a lot and dont put floor boards down prior.

If you stand directly on the joist without spreading the load it would crack any ceiling.

Put a brase across and screw down. It's worth notching 25mm to fit joists if you can be bothered as will spread load and possibly level them joists a little as it pulls up to new timber. 75mm x50mm timber will do or bigger. Get in the right place so loft boards fit without cutting although a trip hazard. Maybe. I done one once with plasterboard fitted to old bowed bungalow lounge ceiling. 2 guys stood on bracing timber to bend down while I screwed to joists. When they stepped off ceiling lifted up level.

Thanks for all the suggestions people, really appreciate the input. I think I might chance my arm with just boarding and skimming and see how it turns out. Not concerned about having it perfectly flat, just want a tidy finish for the least amount of hassle.

Thanks for all the suggestions people, really appreciate the input. I think I might chance my arm with just boarding and skimming and see how it turns out. Not concerned about having it perfectly flat, just want a tidy finish for the least amount of hassle.

Yes looking at the laser line there is an inch of deflection, but over a fair span, just board it, add noggins where required and skim it. if it looks smooth when finished, only a trained eye will notice the difference, if there are any major twists in the joists, plane the high spots or dub out the low spots.

Not worth it. I went loco on first house and re-joisted every ceiling. They were off but it was totally unnecessary, just OCD.

But if you put a level on any of them ceilings they be bang on haha

When did our place we had to double ceiling joists because of the loft conversion....a few of the original joists were miles out. I just got some straighter 4x2 and screwed the furthest ends to the original and then used G clamps to clamp the bowed joist straight then screwed them together :D

Worked an absolute treat for me :D

A lot will say I wasted my time but it took a couple of hours and about £30 :D

Just pack out the other joists with plasterboard strips to loose the worst of the bow and board it. A decent spread will loose the rest with 2 coats of multifinish