Advice on External Rendering

Jim56

Hi,
I've got some 7N blockwork external walls I want to render in my garden and I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions?

i.) How should I fix the stop bead and bell bead to the wall. Some people use nails, some screw them in?
ii.) How thick should the bell bead be?

My plan is to make a mix of 4-1 fine sand to cement by hand, wet the wall, put a 6-10mm coat on the wall, put a key on it, wait two hours, wet it again, put a final coat of about 5mm on and then sponge it off. I wasn't going to use a plasterciser.

Thanks for any advice,
James

Thanks, but skint! I've done a basic plastering course, but not much admittedly. Chance to learn a bit as I go.

Hi,
I've got some 7N blockwork external walls I want to render in my garden and I was wondering if you could help me with a few questions?

i.) How should I fix the stop bead and bell bead to the wall. Some people use nails, some screw them in?

My plan is to make a mix of 4-1 fine sand to cement by hand, wet the wall, put a 6-10mm coat on the wall, put a key on it, wait two hours, wet it again, put a final coat of about 5mm on and then sponge it off. I wasn't going to use a plasterciser.

Thanks for any advice,
James

mixing sand cement by hand is harder than plastering itself.
little bel for £50 a week.
+ the gear is mixed right.
horrible spreading SC mixed by hand.

Hi,

Thanks for any advice,
James
Going standard s/c is your call
Scratch coat 3/4 to 1 with waterproofer /plasterciser
Top coat must be weaker then scratch and would again use w/p in mix

I’m always respectful and polite to posts on here but this job is way to much for you , I even mess things up myself quite regularly and that’s after 15 years
Don’t waste anymore money or time trying yourself is honestly best advice

Olican=> About 35m^2, but it's in lots of sections, e.g. steps.
Lox=> What ratio would you recommend for the top coat?
algeeman => I'd read warnings about mixing using a mixer as I'd been told it gets weak if over mixed.

We've really struggled to find a good plasterer in Sheffield and we've gone massively over-budget, so getting someone in just isn't an option.

If someone can suggest what types of bead and how best to fix them, it would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I’m always respectful and polite to posts on here but this job is way to much for you , I even mess things up myself quite regularly and that’s after 15 years
Don’t waste anymore money or time trying yourself is honestly best advice
It’s his own house ! Best place to learn

Olican=> About 35m^2, but it's in lots of sections, e.g. steps.
Lox=> What ratio would you recommend for the top coat?
algeeman => I'd read warnings about mixing using a mixer as I'd been told it gets weak if over mixed.

We've really struggled to find a good plasterer in Sheffield and we've gone massively over-budget, so getting someone in just isn't an option.

If someone can suggest what types of bead and how best to fix them, it would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Jim am in Sheffield and can offer any advice you need !
I would always say use a modern render for many reasons but can advise on both