Advice on damp

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBPlasteringmcr

I'm not a damp expert so just wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice.
I went to have a look at a job this morning, the render has blown on one wall and it has been patched up so many times it's hard to even count how many times it's also full of cracks. On that wall inside there is damp patches both upstairs and down stairs black mould, white fluffy s**t etc. I'm presuming this is caused by the render holding moisture behind it and as its painted with waterproof paint the only way the moisture can escape is obviously through the inside. There is no guttering, down pipes or anything on this wall. It's a gable end wall. The customer wants the render replacing anyway because it looks a mess. Do you have any idea what else might be causing the damp?

Penetrating damp coming from outside if upstairs. Powdery stuff is efflorescence . Black mould prob condensation.

Dampness coming from outside prob a pointing problem. Normally it's guttering problem

Here we go :RpS_thumbsup:

No it's an extension on the back of a terrace. Ive been asked to try and find out the cheapest ways to sort it, I told her I'm only a plasterer but I'd try and get some advice. She just wants a cheap fix because it's not her house it's just a rental

I'm not a damp expert so just wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice.
I went to have a look at a job this morning, the render has blown on one wall and it has been patched up so many times it's hard to even count how many times it's also full of cracks. On that wall inside there is damp patches both upstairs and down stairs black mould, white fluffy s**t etc. I'm presuming this is caused by the render holding moisture behind it and as its painted with waterproof paint the only way the moisture can escape is obviously through the inside. There is no guttering, down pipes or anything on this wall. It's a gable end wall. The customer wants the render replacing anyway because it looks a mess. Do you have any idea what else might be causing the damp?

1. Ensure landlord has authorised tenant to instruct repairs.
2. For minimum cost. Assumming 9 inch thick. Price for carefully removing render if appearance satisfactory to tenant/landlord suggest spray treat with water repellent. Check for horizontal or vertical cracks and movement. If wall a mess job might not progress beyond knocking off render in which case client knows the cost and you get paid for part work.
3. Suggest to client fit Pb with bonded insulation to interior or any technique you prefer. Thickness of insulation determined by effect on room size and pocket of client. Problem described suggests poor insulation of walls so sorting out worst wall, will move problem or focus of attention elsewhere. Heating, ventilation etc are issues but this appears to be outside the instructions.
4. If cavity construction more details and investigation needed.

It's the landlord that's asked me to do the work, lol she's not bothered cause she doesn't live there lol but thanks for the advice :RpS_thumbsup:

dont sound like you are going to earn much money there !
the cheapest woud be to tell them to buy a dehumidaifier, some mould off spray from the supermarket, turn the heat up and open some windows.
and tell him if you have to do any work it wont be cheap !

is it a solid wall? if so the render is the problem as its holding the water... simply remover the render and let it dry out... if the landlord wants it re-rendered do it with NHL3.5 lime render as this is breatable and will still allow the walls to dry out

Status
Not open for further replies.