Advice needed!!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pottsy

I've got a job coming up to Re-fit a ceiling, the bay window has dropped in the past,* resulting in a 4-5mm difference in height from the main ceiling to the bay ceiling, which is cracked pretty bad, normal run of things no problem cut out, reboard, skim...
*(the customer assures me the problems now sorted by under pining the found's)

However and this is what I need the advice on.. there's a bespoke flowery ceiling detail in fibrous plaster that runs around the edge of the ceiling..
(I'm going up to look at it tonight so I might be better informed later I'll try get some pics too.)

I'm thinking do the detailed strips come bedded into a skrim and then fixed and plastered into the ceiling..?? any tips on trying to save the originals? or does anywhere match them?? I've done some tiny bits of matching ornate carved stuff before but wouldn't know where to start to do that much.. can I cast them with a mould? from the age of the house it'll be old lattes not board I imagine.. think I'd get away with just bonding out the difference and re-skimming upto it? to be fair I'd rather do it properly and leave a good job... dunno.. any ideas lads would be greatly appreciated.. this sort of works a bit removed from my usual... if its going to be something I cant do I'd pass it on its someones house at the end of the day I'm gonna experiment at thier expense but I love getting into new things.. and having a go at summat different, if I can do it and leave a good job I'll be well happy

the detaailed strips (inserts) are stuck on after the ceiling was done usually in foot sections they should come down again with a little care then plaster yer ceiling then stick em up again

you could always re-board the ceiling and cut out a circle and create a step arround the center detail use a PVC flexi curved edge bead to finish off to....

Cheers steve/mossey,

After I went up on the friday the customer has decided to "bodge it"... his words.. I've tried to talk him out of it and do it properly but he just wants the cracks filled and the visible drops bonded and skimmed over for now to "see how we get on"
He's having a kitchen done soon and I'm re-skimming when it's in, gonna do the ceiling then.
I'm fitting him a bathroom in the new year so if any of them have started to re-appear by then thats when it'll get done.. I did find a place in sheff called plasterscene that will be able to match them so to be honest I might just take all the problem area down reboard and skim and let the pro's who work there come out and re-fit the decorative cove and the flowery detail.. cheers for the thoughts anyway though

Cheers steve/mossey,

After I went up on the friday the customer has decided to "bodge it"... his words.. I've tried to talk him out of it and do it properly but he just wants the cracks filled and the visible drops bonded and skimmed over for now to "see how we get on"
He's having a kitchen done soon and I'm re-skimming when it's in, gonna do the ceiling then.
I'm fitting him a bathroom in the new year so if any of them have started to re-appear by then thats when it'll get done.. I did find a place in sheff called plasterscene that will be able to match them so to be honest I might just take all the problem area down reboard and skim and let the pro's who work there come out and re-fit the decorative cove and the flowery detail.. cheers for the thoughts anyway though

Sure there's a place at Parkgate in Rotherham mate, in an old church, forget their name though

Status
Not open for further replies.