Advice needed please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

nori

Hi fellas,

I need advice on some walls ive got to straighten up and patch in prior to tiling, some of the walls are partial stud wall thats been boarded and s & c thats been hacked to fook whilst removing tiles, the majority of the walls are not blown just out of level

Is it possible to use bonding or hardwall over the sand and cement as well as board to level the walls up?:RpS_confused:

thanks in advance

You cant tile on gypsum backing coats, well you can if you are a bodger, check with BG if you dont believe me, just reboard the whole lot.

Lucius - thats an old myth, British Gypsum also say you shouldn't ever use PVA when plastering/skimming, and should only use bond-it..

They are a business and will always advise you to buy more of their products, "dont tile on backing plasters, buy twice as much gear and skim the walls first", "dont use PVA, spend 4 x as much and buy bond-it".

Be quicker in drying sense to board then tile over straight away no waiting around for it to dry,It would have to 100 % fully dried out or the tiles will fall off in couple of months.

Dont know how many people take any notice of it, but according to the spec sheet for Bonding...

"Tiles should not be applied directly to Thistle undercoats, with the exception of Thistle Dry-Coat".

99.9999 percent of the jobs I'm on the bathrooms are skimmed before tiles and most of them are mr board

the job ive just finished they have floated out the bathrooms with bonding with the intention of pva'in then tileing:RpS_crying:
told them that you cnt do that and they said b*ll***s weve been doin it for years, i think they forgot that when i told them to float bathrooms in sand and cement a few weeks ago they said ahh that would be why the tiles fell off the last bathroom we did

99.9999 percent of the jobs I'm on the bathrooms are skimmed before tiles and most of them are mr board
Thats because 99.999% of people dont seem to know what they are doing nowadays Spunk, nothing wrong with tiling on skim except that it will only take 20kgM2 so anything large is out of the question whereas tiling straight onto board takes 32kgM2 so the skimming is a waste of tme and effort. They sound like a handy mob JR bonding andPVA cant think of anything worse.

Lot of so called tilers do not know what there doing they put all there trust in the gear sticking the tiles hmm chancers., with out any knowledge of substrates.

agreed Henry there not bothered as long as it stick to the wall.let's be honest why should they be !when anything goes wrong they play there get out of jail card"it's the plasterers fault".

Yep most things are the plasterers fault all ways as been all ways will be, Plasterers dirty feckers .

This is a subject i have not realy thought about as 9 times out of 10 im gone by the time the tiles are being fitted but just doing my own bathroom last week and tiled the walls with big tiles i was questioning the strength of the plaster holding at the time but now its all done its solid well for the moment that is :RpS_laugh:

I hope they dont mate, listen ive been in the game a long time and ive said it before the older you get the rougher you get cos you know what you can get away with but sticking large format tiles on skim i wouldnt do, not saying it will always fail but why take a chance if one comes of and kills a kid.

Lucius it's just the older you get you know the end before you have started .

Last edited:
the one that gets me is the PVA before tiling where the proper ardex bonding agent should be used!!

I know a tiler who always tiles onto keyed bonding and he swears by it but in saying that BG does say only tile onto multi finish, as lucius said about the weight thing he has a point about boarding, because if the background wasnt prepared properly and you bonded it out to straighten it (about 9.3kg @ m2) then skimmed it (3.4kg m2) then the weight of the tiles on top of that... lot of weight there

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.