Advice needed on repairing gaps behind old skirting board and part of wall.

Members online

MissSoniaJane

Hi all, my daughter and I decided to redecorate our lounge. In the past I’ve just painted over the basic wallpaper we’ve always had. But this time we wanted to add new wallpaper on the one wall. I stripped of the old paper and discovered that some of the plaster was coming away where an old doorway had been bricked up in 1970 I think, and also the skirting board was rotting so have pulled that off too, which has left some holes where it was previously nailed on. The house was built in 1900 and I think the last time any skirting board etc was added was at least 1970, but possibly even older than that. Anyway, I was advised that I needed to use bonding to fill in the holes and gap between the wall depth and where new skirting board is going (to make the wall where the skirting board will go, and even level of that makes sense. As in, so that the skirting has a flat, even surface behind it.) I went to B&Q and bought Thistle undercoat plaster. I couldn’t see anything called bonding so read the description and thought it sounded like what I needed. I used it yesterday on the holes behind the skirting board area and also on the thin strip of bricks where the plaster had come away from where the old doorframe used to be . Basically a horizontal line all the way up the wall about 6cm wide and under 10mm deep where the plaster had come away. I thought it would be right to put a thin layer of the undercoat plaster on there ready to put a layer or filler or plaster over the top to bring it back up level with the rest of the wall. This morning it looks a bit chalky and rubs off fairly easily on the surface I think. Is that how it normally would look before adding a top later or plaster or does it sound like I’ve done something wrong and that if I put plaster on top it will all just flake off. I’m a mum out of her depth here! ‍♀️ Thanks for reading. Sonia x

Hi all, my daughter and I decided to redecorate our lounge. In the past I’ve just painted over the basic wallpaper we’ve always had. But this time we wanted to add new wallpaper on the one wall. I stripped of the old paper and discovered that some of the plaster was coming away where an old doorway had been bricked up in 1970 I think, and also the skirting board was rotting so have pulled that off too, which has left some holes where it was previously nailed on. The house was built in 1900 and I think the last time any skirting board etc was added was at least 1970, but possibly even older than that. Anyway, I was advised that I needed to use bonding to fill in the holes and gap between the wall depth and where new skirting board is going (to make the wall where the skirting board will go, and even level of that makes sense. As in, so that the skirting has a flat, even surface behind it.) I went to B&Q and bought Thistle undercoat plaster. I couldn’t see anything called bonding so read the description and thought it sounded like what I needed. I used it yesterday on the holes behind the skirting board area and also on the thin strip of bricks where the plaster had come away from where the old doorframe used to be . Basically a horizontal line all the way up the wall about 6cm wide and under 10mm deep where the plaster had come away. I thought it would be right to put a thin layer of the undercoat plaster on there ready to put a layer or filler or plaster over the top to bring it back up level with the rest of the wall. This morning it looks a bit chalky and rubs off fairly easily on the surface I think. Is that how it normally would look before adding a top later or plaster or does it sound like I’ve done something wrong and that if I put plaster on top it will all just flake off. I’m a mum out of her depth here! ‍♀ Thanks for reading. Sonia x
Take off what you put on and brush it clean until dust free.Give it a couple coats of pva.This will kill the suction and prevent it going crumbly and flaky again.If your going to paper it again I’d say easi fill would do.

Hi all, my daughter and I decided to redecorate our lounge. In the past I’ve just painted over the basic wallpaper we’ve always had. But this time we wanted to add new wallpaper on the one wall. I stripped of the old paper and discovered that some of the plaster was coming away where an old doorway had been bricked up in 1970 I think, and also the skirting board was rotting so have pulled that off too, which has left some holes where it was previously nailed on. The house was built in 1900 and I think the last time any skirting board etc was added was at least 1970, but possibly even older than that. Anyway, I was advised that I needed to use bonding to fill in the holes and gap between the wall depth and where new skirting board is going (to make the wall where the skirting board will go, and even level of that makes sense. As in, so that the skirting has a flat, even surface behind it.) I went to B&Q and bought Thistle undercoat plaster. I couldn’t see anything called bonding so read the description and thought it sounded like what I needed. I used it yesterday on the holes behind the skirting board area and also on the thin strip of bricks where the plaster had come away from where the old doorframe used to be . Basically a horizontal line all the way up the wall about 6cm wide and under 10mm deep where the plaster had come away. I thought it would be right to put a thin layer of the undercoat plaster on there ready to put a layer or filler or plaster over the top to bring it back up level with the rest of the wall. This morning it looks a bit chalky and rubs off fairly easily on the surface I think. Is that how it normally would look before adding a top later or plaster or does it sound like I’ve done something wrong and that if I put plaster on top it will all just flake off. I’m a mum out of her depth here! ‍♀ Thanks for reading. Sonia x
Sounds like you didn’t do any prep.

Ah thanks guys. I did prep as in getting it clean and dust free. But I didn’t put any pva on
Thankfully it’s not a massive patch so I guess I’ll scrape it all off and start again, with added pva and possibly use filler instead. I’ll try to get some photos

Take off what you put on and brush it clean until dust free.Give it a couple coats of pva.This will kill the suction and prevent it going crumbly and flaky again.If your going to paper it again I’d say easi fill would do.
Thank you x

tenor (7).gif

The holes are from blocks of of wood built in wall to enable skirting to be nailed to, and now rotted I guess and gone.
Pva (I do)
Fill large holes with brick and sand and cement best you can.
Fill tidy with sand and cement (shape sand)
Then bonding plaster
Stick new skirting on with foam

I'd judging by some of the terminology she uses and careful analysis of her grammar and punctuation, she'd be around 52
Nothing to do with the fact she has a daughter who is old enough to help her (probably in her late teens or early 20s), and that it's statistically unlikely she had a teenage pregnancy. Thus, probably 20-30yrs of age when pregnant, plus 20-25yrs daughter age = possibly circa 45+ yrs old?

The holes are from blocks of of wood built in wall to enable skirting to be nailed to, and now rotted I guess and gone.
Pva (I do)
Fill large holes with brick and sand and cement best you can.
Fill tidy with sand and cement (shape sand)
Then bonding plaster
Stick new skirting on with foam
Where can i buy some of that shape sand mate?