Advice - Heat Resistant Plaster & Scratch Coat

SuperKev1969

Hi all - First Post - I have an inglenook fireplace with a Jotul Multi Burning Stove. We have removed all the bricks inside the inglenook to reveal the block-work and now want to plaster it to a smooth finish which will resist the high temperature of the stove. I have seen online that I can buy Everbuild's Heat Resistant Plaster for the final coat but my question is what do I need for the scratch coat? Will ordinary sand & cement do or do I need some form of heat resistant screed as well? Thank you.

Hi all - First Post - I have an inglenook fireplace with a Jotul Multi Burning Stove. We have removed all the bricks inside the inglenook to reveal the block-work and now want to plaster it to a smooth finish which will resist the high temperature of the stove. I have seen online that I can buy Everbuild's Heat Resistant Plaster for the final coat but my question is what do I need for the scratch coat? Will ordinary sand & cement do or do I need some form of heat resistant screed as well? Thank you.
Jotul's get hot. No point in going halves, why not use the Everbuild Heatproof Screed as well, its designed for the job. Otherwise use your own lime cement render - buy it ready mixed. Straight sand and cement may crack and that'll crack the finish coat.

Jotul's get hot. No point in going halves, why not use the Everbuild Heatproof Screed as well, its designed for the job. Otherwise use your own lime cement render - buy it ready mixed. Straight sand and cement may crack and that'll crack the finish coat.
think brimstone just answered your question but no mater what don't use s/cement it will crack

Thanks guys - What would the lime cement render be? Would that be lime cement powder mixed with sharp sand and ordinary cement to build up a scratch coat? What are the ratios? I can find Blue Circle Hydralime in B & Q but don't know if it is the right stuff. Thanks in advance.