Advice for rendering a part masonry, part timber dormer

Members online

I need to get a new dormer rendered (Weber monocouche), however I'm after some advice on how to prevent cracking where two different materials meet.

The front of the dormer is medium density block, but the cheeks are timber frame with OSB board. How do I prevent cracking at the corner where it meets. And any cracking generally due to the differing expansion/movement of the two materials?

I've uploaded a photo for clarity. Thanks.
Hello, Homeowner 2022. Its been 3 years, and I hope that you've had a solution by now.

Seems every plasterer or renderer has failed to mention you could use render board or likes of (aqua board). Problem with just plasterers or renderers are, and they usually do both trades, however lack confidence in, intelligence with building outside of theyre trade, because they are clearly a plasterer or renderer who think they know it all and have no idea about roofing. Roofers are the same, carpenters also, bricklayers....basically everyone knows trade. They are, probably very good at there trades, however sometimes, when it comes to it, like render meeting roofing, they're lost, because they're not familiar with other trades. You want someone who is intelligent and bothered to learn more than one trade.

You could/or could have, as its been 2 yrs, felt the osb board and batten after. Then fix a render board. This would leave a breathable gap. The renderer then could put a drip bead at the bottom of the 2 sides that were osb. Render on to your render board and the drip would be above the lead flashing. The front is block work, so no need to do the same, however you could, for reassurance the render had a batten gap.

Basically yes tou could've rendered every side, left, right and front, and been fine, ad long ad render board or likes was used. Mesh is outdated, because fixing mesh to osb, if it did crack would soak through. The batten and render board would give it a breathable gap to stop this from happening. Plasterers and renderer who have msgd, are those without work clearly ad they've not a clue how to resolve an issue and it's basic common sense.

Looking at pics, lead flashing looked hot on, coming off the dormer with batten would've let it breath and worked with the lead flashing to let water run away.

It wouldn't have been a problem to render. I hope someone with real knowledge looked at a way around this, as it was a very easy solution

Hello, Homeowner 2022. Its been 3 years, and I hope that you've had a solution by now.

Seems every plasterer or renderer has failed to mention you could use render board or likes of (aqua board). Problem with just plasterers or renderers are, and they usually do both trades, however lack confidence in, intelligence with building outside of theyre trade, because they are clearly a plasterer or renderer who think they know it all and have no idea about roofing. Roofers are the same, carpenters also, bricklayers....basically everyone knows trade. They are, probably very good at there trades, however sometimes, when it comes to it, like render meeting roofing, they're lost, because they're not familiar with other trades. You want someone who is intelligent and bothered to learn more than one trade.

You could/or could have, as its been 2 yrs, felt the osb board and batten after. Then fix a render board. This would leave a breathable gap. The renderer then could put a drip bead at the bottom of the 2 sides that were osb. Render on to your render board and the drip would be above the lead flashing. The front is block work, so no need to do the same, however you could, for reassurance the render had a batten gap.

Basically yes tou could've rendered every side, left, right and front, and been fine, ad long ad render board or likes was used. Mesh is outdated, because fixing mesh to osb, if it did crack would soak through. The batten and render board would give it a breathable gap to stop this from happening. Plasterers and renderer who have msgd, are those without work clearly ad they've not a clue how to resolve an issue and it's basic common sense.

Looking at pics, lead flashing looked hot on, coming off the dormer with batten would've let it breath and worked with the lead flashing to let water run away.

It wouldn't have been a problem to render. I hope someone with real knowledge looked at a way around this, as it was a very easy solution

FFS

First f**k**g answer was render board.

There’s no difference between a plasterer or a renderer.Rendering is part of the plastering trade.

544589b1-febd-428d-a457-ed5c12c8ae8a.jpeg