Advice appreciated re rendering a house in conservation area

Julie Sanders

HI everyone
I am new to the Forum and I would really appreciate some advice. We live in a conservation area but our house is not listed. The wall on the side of our house facing our neighbours (so you can't see it from outside) has been rendered in the past but the render has deteriorated over the years and now needs replacing. I booked someone to re - render the wall today but then read that I may need planning permission. As the wall was already rendered and no one can see it as it faces the neighbours side of their house and not outward into the conservation area, does anyone know if I need to get planning permission. thanks Julie

HI everyone
I am new to the Forum and I would really appreciate some advice. We live in a conservation area but our house is not listed. ... does anyone know if I need to get planning permission. thanks Julie

If you are in a conservation area I'd strongly advise ringing the local planning department. I'm pretty certain if you are replacing like-for-like then you don't, but you don't know if the wall was part of original build and you may be replacing something that shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Unlikely to be a problem but why risk an expensive mistake for the sake of a phone call?

Well there you are wrong, I was out most of yesterday so didn't have a chance to come back. I've been told that we can do the render if it is repair which ours is as we will be repairing the existing rendering on the wall where it has deteriorated over the years and needs replacing in some areas but not if it is to do completely new rendering of the whole wall, this would require planning permission.

Well there you are wrong, I was out most of yesterday so didn't have a chance to come back. I've been told that we can do the render if it is repair which ours is as we will be repairing the existing rendering on the wall where it has deteriorated over the years and needs replacing in some areas but not if it is to do completely new rendering of the whole wall, this would require planning permission.
Thanks if my memory is correct think it’s 25% off the property at a time is ok to redo like you say if it’s the whole lot 100% then it’s different story for them
Only found this out myself few years ago seen a job that had been stripped back to brick and wondering why it hadn’t been redone apparently the owner decided to just leave it as chipped up brick effect because council were trying to tell him what to do ,
Glad you sorted