Advice about plastering gauge motor house

Sarahsky

Hello,
I have recently purchased a 1930's property. The downstairs has been fairly recently replastered with plasterboard and then skimmed however upon further investigation of the bedrooms when we started removing wall paper the plaster had blown off the walls in a alot of places and was coming off with the paper. I am assuming this was a lime plaster, it was a dirty yellowish colour and is was very easy to break up and crumble with my fingers. This then led to removing all of the plaster and the base back to the brickwork.
Now I need to repoint some of the bricks and replaster but I have heard that buildings built with lime need to have lime plaster and mortar used otherwise you may get issues with damp.
I have been told that the house has been built with gauge mortar. The house has cavity walls, and has been externally rendered (not sure with lime or cement) and then painted with an acrylic paint. There doesn't appear to be any major damp other than on the ground sub floor (however this is due to another issue with standing water). There was a little mould around the windows and a small patch on one wall, but the bricks feel don't feel damp. There are some cracks in the exterior render that need repair so I am guessing this may have been letting moisture through and be the cause.

So essentially my question is should I use a lime based plaster to re do the walls and repoint or will normal plaster and hardwall and normal cement to repoint be suitable?
I am of the understanding that gauge mortar is lime with cement so I am thinking that the hardwall should be okay?

Thank you for your help in advance.