Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm 22 and have been plastering since the age of 15. I set up on my own a year ago and this is the first time I've really struggled for work. Its getting so bad that I am going to have to consider chucking it in and trying something else, this is however a last resort. My work is a good standard and I get a good amount of recommendations and repeat custom, but this year I seem to be getting cancellations at the last minute which is really pi**ing me off. I haven't had a call since christmas and have no concrete bookings this year.
I have recently advertised in a local magazine and do regular leaflet drops and contact builders. Am I missing a trick here or what? What do you guys do to keep work going all year round?
Cheers chaps

word of mouth for most of the guys. I'm like you, just started on my own after 10 years.

I just stuck an ad on Yell.com for 600 a year. Most of us are quiet at the mo. The weather/recession/xmas haven't helped. stick at it. Get some agency work if you can and travel. You need to chase the work mucker. Anywhere ;D

where are you based mate? there's lads on here from all over the country so they might be able to help you.

Its not easy m8...to win the work you really have to be good at your trade but also very good at business to do well...if you don't feel you have got the business skills then your best bet is to contact builders or try and get work on site...

Also you will get alot more work if you are multiskilled if you don't have work train to gain...maybe get some work with a maintenance company they are all busy at mo...

stick at it mate it just takes time to get your name around, get them leaflets out every day, people are skint after christmas but they will be geting paid at the end of jan so the phone will start to ring more in feb ;)

kebab king said:
I`m not posh enough to live in Surrey, i have to live in Hampshire.The real posh knobs live in Wood Street.
i lived in the new forrest for a couple of years, loved it applemore, near hythe, used to go wind surfing and kayaking at calshot beach ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.