Addition of sugar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_indio

Hello,
As stated on another thread I have a job coming up for a mate in Liverpool (my 1st job actually) a large front room/lounge in a new build.
Its a reskim of the walls (no ceilings) and a bay.
I'll do the usual 2 coats of PVA beforehand, but with the summer approaching and temperature rising I'm wondering how fast the 1st coat/flattener might go off.
I remember another spread telling me of a technique where you add sugar to the mix which delays the drying time, giving you a bit of breathing space.
I've looked online for this but can find nowt, has anyone heard of this method?
Any advice gratefully received!
Liverpool Paul.

Paul its all about controlling the suction, get it sealed well only put on hits you feel comfortable with.

Your better doing 1 wall at a time well than sticking 2+ on and trying to slow the plaster down because if your not confident enough to skim normally there'd be no benefit in retarding the gear because you'll just mess with it too much when it stays wet.

Paul next time your in local merchants next to the pallets of multi there will be a little table spoon for sugar !we all started somewhere but if its sugar stick in a cup of tea not the finish !good luck

Paul its all about controlling the suction, get it sealed well only put on hits you feel comfortable with.

Your better doing 1 wall at a time well than sticking 2+ on and trying to slow the plaster down because if your not confident enough to skim normally there'd be no benefit in retarding the gear because you'll just mess with it too much when it stays wet.

Right o thanks for the advice mate!
Think I'll do the smaller bay reveals and work my way up to the big un.
Btw The walls are painted (paint is pretty sound), so I was thinking of 1 coat of PVA throughout, leave overnight then a 2nd coat in the morning left to go tacky before the first coat/flattener.
Is that how you'd recommend I do it?

Paul next time your in local merchants next to the pallets of multi there will be a little table spoon for sugar !we all started somewhere but if its sugar stick in a cup of tea not the finish !good luck

Haha duly noted, cheers Bagrat!

Btw The walls are painted (paint is pretty sound), so I was thinking of 1 coat of PVA throughout, leave overnight then a 2nd coat in the morning left to go tacky before the first coat/flattener.

Personal choice but if its a silk/shiny paint i'd be tempted to go round and give it a good coat night before and leave it at that. Again thats down to experience though because that can also cause problems. If u 2nd coat it the same day your going to skim you could be waiting hours (literally) til its tacky enough to skim without d

Yet lol she was concrete though hard as anything !
Just for u bagrat!
images-17.jpeg

one coat of pre-grit on paint

2 good tea spoons of sugar.
Soak in a pg tips diamond tea bag.
A slash of milk.

Or
Coffee whiskey cream sugar.

I have heard but I've never tried it, that if you piddle in the skim it slows it down, maybe not first one of the day cause that'll probably alter the colour of it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.