Acrylics over painted sand and cement

Members online

BigBish

Would a Jub primer work over a painted sand and cement render ?

The existing render is nearly perfect, but the paint is flaking off as its 15 years old. Must have been done buy decent guys as it still looks reasonable despite this.

If I was to mono it, id use parex parinter, would that at 6mm be a good idea ?

Thanks all

I just can’t do it over paint, debated in my head viewed everyone’s different opinion on the subject but concluded it’s not worth rendering over paint , having said that I did see a guy mono over painted render with nothing but slapping the gear on and drove by the other day it’s still not fell off yet

I also did ask a Weber guy why they so adamant not to rendaid over paint and then choosen render on top say like parex and some of the others will , he said some technical stuff persivically referring to what happens the the paint being the issue more so than the products on top , after I thought fair play he had a point

But surely an acrylic over the top wont be much weight. Not like doing a mono on top of paint.

There’s nothing wrong with rendering over paint as long as- your using the right product, your happy enough with the painted substrate.

on a old timber frame property that had been rendered with a strong mix of sand and cement. plenty of cracks.
we scraped loose paint off, a coat of parinter with a full mesh, a 2nd coat of parinter which we rubbed up with a plastic trowel, this gave an acrylic type of finish. it had a coat of paint rolled over , looks fine.

on a old timber frame property that had been rendered with a strong mix of sand and cement. plenty of cracks.
we scraped loose paint off, a coat of parinter with a full mesh, a 2nd coat of parinter which we rubbed up with a plastic trowel, this gave an acrylic type of finish. it had a coat of paint rolled over , looks fine.

What were your timings like?
Did you leave the 1st with mesh to dry or coat down whilst still green?

What were your timings like?
Did you leave the 1st with mesh to dry or coat down whilst still green?

the property was around 100 metre. we 1st coated over 2 days then turned back with second coat. there was no suction, i laid on, my son rubbed up. it was a very simple application.

Thanks all going to do a 6mm coat of parinter with mesh, sponged up with primer over the top.

masonry paint is waterbased so is absorbed by the render rater than sitting on top as a skin.
rendering on top shouldn't be a problem if you follow usual prep.

Yep it’s just the oil based masonary paints that can’t take parinter but there few and far between,always best to do a test before commencing.