Across the pond

Members online

What background did you use it on Nicm?
Blue plasterboard,I was working with a Galwayman in Boston.We’d fill the joints and when set one coat everything and then trowel up.I never saw a backing coat being used.Also the standard of boarding in the US was the best I’ve seen.

Blue plasterboard,I was working with a Galwayman in Boston.We’d fill the joints and when set one coat everything and then trowel up.I never saw a backing coat being used.Also the standard of boarding in the US was the best I’ve seen.
Thanks mate.

There are several different types of plaster available here. Diamond is popular and made by USG. It's used as a 1 coat veneer system over blueboard. If you ask USG what they recommend they won't say it's a 1 coat product but that's all I've ever seen it used for.

National Gypsum makes kal-kote products. It depends who your supplier uses since they usually only have 1 or the other. X-kal is the National Gypsum brand equivalent to diamond veneer but I don't think it finishes as well. I like their 2 coat product of kal-base and kal-smooth for smooth walls or ceilings. It's the closest I've found to real lime and gauging. Also has great results mixing kal-smooth and x-kal 50:50 over basecoat to get the set time of x-kal but the finish of lime and gauging.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181111-140035.jpg
    Screenshot_20181111-140035.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 217
There are several different types of plaster available here. Diamond is popular and made by USG. It's used as a 1 coat veneer system over blueboard. If you ask USG what they recommend they won't say it's a 1 coat product but that's all I've ever seen it used for.

National Gypsum makes kal-kote products. It depends who your supplier uses since they usually only have 1 or the other. X-kal is the National Gypsum brand equivalent to diamond veneer but I don't think it finishes as well. I like their 2 coat product of kal-base and kal-smooth for smooth walls or ceilings. It's the closest I've found to real lime and gauging. Also has great results mixing kal-smooth and x-kal 50:50 over basecoat to get the set time of x-kal but the finish of lime and gauging.
Thanks mate!