Able Skill C&G NVQ ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marleyjustin

Hi guys, i've already been on a short intense course had a go at some rooms in my house and done a couple of things for family and I am 100% sure that I want to be a plasterer. Initially I was hoping to get the chance to work along side another plasterwork to learn more and gain more experience but I have had no luck with that. I am in the process of selling pretty much everything in my house to raise the money for a 6-10 week course so I can gain a City and Guilds or NVQ qualification.

Been searching the net for courses and came across 2, Able Skills and Golden Trowel. They are both far from where I live but Able Skills have £20 per night accommodation which would be ideal as I can stay there during the week.

someone please tell me I'm not making a mistake as this is my last resort, kind of putting all my eggs in 1 basket now for a successful career change.

Times be hard for everyone especially if your just starting out. What happens when you've plastered all your friends n family's houses? I'd try harder 1st to get on with a spread first before you go an empty your house to pay for what is only an introduction to the trade. What area are you from someone on here my give you a start?? Best of look tho.

Times be hard for everyone especially if your just starting out. What happens when you've plastered all your friends n family's houses? I'd try harder 1st to get on with a spread first before you go an empty your house to pay for what is only an introduction to the trade. What area are you from someone on here my give you a start?? Best of look tho.

Thanks for that, I'm from Milton Keynes, just got of the phone to Able Skill they was a bit rude & wasn't helpful so not happy to spend my money there so now looking into Golden Trowel. I think I want a qualification anyway as a lot of plasterers I have spoken to ask what qualifications I have.

Be careful which one you pick most of them just want to tick boxes to claim money well the one I used to work for operated like this very bad training and lots of lies

If you want to go down this route i would try find a job as a labourer / trainee , putting all your savings and selling everything is not a good idea , after that u need a van tools money to live off with no work etc , advertising , and a lot more !

Be careful which one you pick most of them just want to tick boxes to claim money well the one I used to work for operated like this very bad training and lots of lies

I'm going with Golden Trowel now mate, spoke to the guy there today he was very helpful. Only downside is it's booked up till mid April, I would of stated today if I could lol, but I'm looking forward to it.

good luck buddy... :D

Its a long long long road to get good!

That Danny, the guy I spoke to on the phone said he trained you around 9 years ago which gave me peace of mind. I'm booked in to start the 6 week NVQ L2 Plastering Course which starts April 14th can't wait. Now I'm just hunting for van so I'm good to go once complete. :)

That Danny, the guy I spoke to on the phone said he trained you around 9 years ago which gave me peace of mind. I'm booked in to start the 6 week NVQ L2 Plastering Course which starts April 14th can't wait. Now I'm just hunting for van so I'm good to go once complete. :)
You know you don't actually get the nvq L2 don't you? Or do you?

I think you get the city and guilds & the NVQ is after when your on the job I think, I could be wrong tell me if I am
Hmm don't think you get a city and guilds qual in plastering you might get a diploma then gain your nvq after being assessed but might be wrong @ryanswart

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup I am GT veteran :) Although I had already been working with spreads for 2 years prior to going :) and then after I worked with teh same 2 spreads and broke away and then took one of them on who worked for me :)

I am an oddball though as those that have met me will know :)

hi Marleyjustin
city&guilds still do plastering courses, CITB/CAA continue to do NVQ / plastering diploma - and a lot of private firms do the 3-5 days micky mouse training -

good luck in your quest to become a plasterer :RpS_thumbsup:

Marley have a look at barnfield college. I am doing a diploma with them p/t(Mondays) at £520 and I work around that. I feel it would be a lot to take in on a short course and you could be left feeling very out of pocket with not much more of a chance than when you started.

Hi Marley,did you do the course? What did you get out of it?

Yes mate still on it it's spot on, my confidence is now up due to all the hands on training & the trainers down there know there stuff so it's money well spent.

Just looked at ur profile didn't know ur were from Milton Keynes, is ur main job plastering yet or u just training?

Just training at the mo, I do one day a week at college as much experience with other plasterers as I can get ( my uncle's are plasterers so it helps ) but I drive a bus for arriva as my main income till I can make a living plastering.

How much would guys think is a resonance price to pay for an NVQ. OSAT. Just say a two day assessment and an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

i went to able mate. its great a good laugh with no one taking themselves to serious. spencer is a good lad mate:RpS_thumbup:

thanks mate. i gave plastering after a few complaints but when i went to sign on i had to wait weeks because i had given up my job and then went self employed but had no figures to show them because it was only for a few eeks but a woman phoned from a card i put up in a shop so i have started again. i do'nt want benefits

How much would guys think is a resonance price to pay for an NVQ. OSAT. Just say a two day assessment and an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

Not 100% sure but I believe the Ffast track NVQ for time served Plasterers is £600 but don't take my word for it.

Just training at the mo, I do one day a week at college as much experience with other plasterers as I can get ( my uncle's are plasterers so it helps ) but I drive a bus for arriva as my main income till I can make a living plastering.
How long u got left? We should link up might be able to throw some work your way soon

Still got another year at college and then my onsat for nvq. So what did you get from the course you did? I'm looking at starting with my uncle witch will help me immensely but will be traveling a lot for work as he covers Northants/ Cambridge area. Yeah defo up for meeting and have a chat about plastering.Where do you live in mk?

Status
Not open for further replies.