a way to plaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashman680

i have just skimmed a wall and changed the way i done it instead of putting 2 coats on i put a thick coat on left it for a bit then dry trowled it then once it had almost went off i used a sponge float making it look like artex then took the fat off and done my corners it looks good and save me a little bit time just wondered if anyone else uses this method?

why when it looks just as good as putting two coats on whats the difference with putting one thick coat on to putting 2 coats on it the same thickness p.s i have only tried this in my own house

Hello Mate
You can get a good finish with one coat but it will never come anywhere near the finish you can acheive with 2 coats, its up to you but i would stick with 2 coats and remember people are paying you good money for your service.
Johnathon

On boards or flat walls you might get a reasonable finish, originally setting (skimming) consisted of 3 coats, the first coat being the heaviest and subseqent coats being lighter, dubbing out the minor peaks and troughs. This is how flat hard polished surfaces where achieved. Modern gypsum based plasters allow you to 'short circuit' and get a good surface in 2 coats. Like most on this site I,m not happy wi a weak won coat wi not much lime left in it to hold it on or together. :-/

1 coat allways seem to leave waves in the finish when its dey u can see in the light...allways looks good wet but when dry asnd painted looks wank

I agree wth topmark, by using a sponge float and more water than you really need it will only weakens the plaster afer all if british gypsum didnt think plaster needed lime, gypsum and quartz they wouldnt put it in to start with.An old clerk of the works told me years ago " if you need to use water when troweling up youve put to much on !!! but then again it was back in the days before bad price site work.

OK hands up who hasn't one coated just to get it done or cos the price is crap!!! :-X

But then again nashman that's how these guys know it's better to two coat.
:)

we do a sort of one coat but i do a thick mix put it on then leave for a couple of mins then put the second coat straight on then when you trowel it up it goes mint anyone else do this

yes mate we just wet the mix up a bit for the secnd coat from same mix saves ages and cleaning espesially if ya on your own

ok I am new to this site but been a spread for 35 years, but you will not see many plasterers on new board work (in todays world) putting 2 coats on if they are on bonus work, I can get a wall perfect on new work with 1 coat so why use 2? mind u this is with knauf plasterer, on reskims u need 2 coats, and i dont reccomend knauf for reskims

as for 1 coat sponge useres, the idea of the sponge is to make life easier for u its used like this 1st coat up, 1 trowel up, 1sponge up 1trowel, and usually just a hard trowel to finish, anyone that can use a sponge correctly will tell u it can save 1 trowel up but more to the point saves stress on the forearm on the up stroke, which leads to tennis elbow the ultimate disabler for plasterers, if u get tennis elbow bad, u are in real trouble. so as I said the sponge is to make life easier for u, and as for the finish job, if u know what u are doing its as good as any other

1 coat does not work?just be cuz people have done it for a long time does not make it rite..half the time the 1 coat people and sponge people just samsh it on think it looks gd and goes home..if u wait around paint it and finsh the job u will see that its not gd nuf...
ok most people will not ever pick up on it..but sum people dnt havea clue,..u want the best do 2 coats
if ur ina rush need money and think the people u work for are 2 dumb to pick up on it sure do one coat

its crap lazy work and people who one coat will find any reason 2 make itr sound ok,,.

sorta people who drive around in crap vans with cheap tools ..ie have no pride in there work..

no offence..but im sure all the one coaters will be :'(

lol oasis u having a laugh 1 house a week fullyboarded and skimmed for the last 14 years with 1 coat of knauf skimming probs around 600 houses I have done

when we 2 coat and trowl up the finish is reali gd..but i guess the older u are ;) the more u learn u can get away with...ie drop a final trowl and maybe after time drop a coat all 2 gether..iv hurd people that are older do less...
maybe ur 1 coat is gd iv only done crap 1 coats my self and seen crap 1 coats..i feel like u cants fill all the holes with 1 coat werfe the second coat does all that...

nothing to do with age oasis, I know most of the top plasterers from the north and I have never come accross anyone on new board work put 2 coats on, those days have gone a long time ago, my apprentice is 20 yo he can skim30m a batch 3 batch a day to first class standard, I understand its a different game on reskims, you gotta rememeber I am talking new houses 1 a week if the work is not up to standard u would be found out after the first couple of houses

just reading wot u was sayin about ur price..per spread...no wonder u 1 coat..
i do private work.. and charge around £10-£20 m2 of skim 2 coats...or just say £150 a day on other jobs that have some boarding in it..

I agree wth topmark, by using a sponge float and more water than you really need it will only weakens the plaster afer all if british gypsum didnt think plaster needed lime, gypsum and quartz they wouldnt put it in to start with.An old clerk of the works told me years ago " if you need to use water when troweling up youve put to much on !!! but then again it was back in the days before bad price  site work.

Im pretty sure there is no lime in finish.

i think you will find there is flynnyman , have looks on british gypums web site download the tech info on finish plasters

Hello North East Spread
When you refer to Knauf plaster, is that wicks one coat and is it as good as people say, I have read that once you use it you will not go back to normal plaster except when you have to, also what is the best way to apply it as I know it goes on different but not sure which way is best, cheers for help
Johnathon

hya Johnathon,

Knauf materials are a French make,

I have used knauf boards and skimming and drywall ad for the last 14 years and I am out of touch with other plasters, most builders merchants now stock Knauf plaster i am used to it the good points about it is as I keep saying there is no problem at all 1 coat skimming with it, its not like thistle Board fininsh where u need 2 coats, it allso goes alot further and is very easy to spread 2 to 2 and a half buckets gets a 30m batch, its not great for sponge work, and no good for reskims as when applied thicker as in 2 or 3 coats it drags and cracks but like I say perfect for new board work, knauf coving is very light compared to british gysem cove, and u can use Knauf drywall adesive to stick it with so no need over to to cove adesive
I have read on here about Wicks 1 coat is this a backing and skimming combined?

as I say I am out of touch with plaster materials can anyone help me here, Ihave a job on its to make good a kitchen knock through to wash house now years ago these wash houses used to be painted and all the paint usually would be peeling off, the procedure would be to wire brush it, then unibond, then use Carlite bonding then skim, is it still the same procedure forthis kinda job in todays world? cheers

oh and scott is the Hunt still in Stanley? and there are a few jobs about in Gateshead through the agency working on houses that have had the smokes and rewires, but they are only paying £10 per hour will be mostly patching work, have u got wheels?

a take it you mean the club ?the hunt went years ago mate you musnt ov been to stanley for a few years and no havent got any wheels a the moment a need a job to get a car (catch 22 situation)lifes a bitch

I have used that knauf skim a few years ago when british gypsum went on strike and there was a plaster shortage, thought it was like the tarmac finish where it take all day to set, thought you get loads of time with it, so layed the whole room on then all of a sudden it turns, not gradually like multi or board but all at once, had to struggle grinding it all back, but went in ok at the end. Once you get used to it, its ok but still prefer multi. The other thing about it is as it is white its hard to see the misses looks lovely until it painted.

yeh Bod, alot of plasterers dont like Knauf skimming untill they get used to it as u say u work it out right and a nice batch of 30 m is perfect just over 2 hours setting gives plenty of time to get it right, as for slacks and u cannot see them untill its painted lol after doing the same thing for years and years does it not come natural ?

hya Johnathon,

Knauf materials are a French make,

I have used knauf boards and skimming and drywall ad for the last 14 years and I am out of touch with other plasters, most builders merchants now stock Knauf plaster i am used to it  the good points about it is as I keep saying there is no problem at all 1 coat skimming with it, its not like thistle Board fininsh where u need 2 coats, it allso goes alot further and is very easy to spread 2 to 2 and a half buckets gets  a 30m batch, its not great for sponge work, and no good for reskims as when applied thicker  as in 2 or 3 coats it drags and cracks but like I say perfect for new board work, knauf coving is very light compared to british gysem cove, and u can use Knauf drywall adesive to stick it with so no need over to  to cove adesive
I have read on here about Wicks 1 coat is this a backing and skimming combined?

as I say I am out of touch with plaster materials can anyone help me here, Ihave a job on its to make good a kitchen knock through to  wash house now years ago these wash houses used to be painted  and all the paint usually would be peeling off,  the procedure would be to wire brush it, then unibond, then use Carlite bonding then skim, is it still the same procedure forthis kinda job in todays world? cheers

oh and scott is the Hunt still in Stanley? and there are a few jobs about in Gateshead through the agency working on houses that have had the smokes and rewires, but they are only paying £10 per hour will be mostly patching work, have u got wheels?

i think most people would dot & dab and then skim it this days, you could use bonding agents on the paint then hardwall and skim it if you want or use wicks one coat use it as backing plaster rule off and fill in, sponge float ,it then trowel it up .

Status
Not open for further replies.