A GUIDE TO DOT & DABBING

kirk johnstone

Private Member
Although allot of plasterers still use the term 'dot & dabbing' this method of plaster boarding is nearly extinct. on building sites across the country nearly every plasterer will be just dabbing without the use of dots because it is much, much faster and an experienced plasterer will also be able to get a wall perfect without dots.
now for a beginner dots will help allot. all they basically are is little bits of plasterboard or wood cut at 2" squares, these a set on the wall with plaster, in line with each other and level. they are set about 1ft apart from each other and once the dots are set you will put dabs of plaster in between them and then put your plasterboard in place and push it back so that the board makes contact with all the dots behind it leaving you with a straight level wall.

now to set the dots it is quite simple, the easiest way is to snap a line across the ceiling with a chalk line about 2" away from the brick/block work. mix some adhesive and put a row of dabs about 1ft apart just under the ceiling line, then take your ready made dots and push them into the adhesive, push them all back until they are in line with the chalkline. be sure the dots sit flat and no adhesive is bulging around them as it will stop the board from touching the dot once set.
now let all the dots set then put a dab of adhesive below each dot at the bottom of the wall. sit the dots in the adhesive and with the use of a long spirit level, sit one end of the level on the top dot and push the bottom dot back until it is level, do this with every dot in the row. you should now have a row of dots at the top and bottom of the wall that are all straight and level with each other. let the bottom dots set and then put some dabs of adhesive in between the top and bottom dots, space your dabs about 1ft apart, place the dots in the adhesive and use your level to push them back until your level touches the top and bottom dots. now once complete you should have a wall covered in little dots all about 1ft apart, let these all set then all you have to do now is put a dab of adhesive in between each dot and put your plasterboards in place pushing them back to the dots. if you have taken your time your wall will be spot on.

a few extra things to remember are to pack your boards off the floor and also make sure no dots or dabs are touching the floor as this can cause problems with damp, make sure all your boards are white side out and make sure you have sufficient dots cut and your plaster boards cut before mixing the adhesive.

have fun ;)

• Funny
Reactions: s61
Re: A GUID TO DOT & DABBING

I thought the blobs were the dots and you dabbed the board on top?

Re: A GUID TO DOT & DABBING

we worked for a bloke who had some cowboys in and said he knew there was something wrong when they called it dib and dobbing lol

This method does not meet current spec as you should only have a 10mm air gap behind the boards and on certain walls you should have a solid line of adhesive around the perimeter of the wall to stop airflow.

essexandy said:
This method does not meet current spec as you should only have a 10mm air gap behind the boards and on certain walls you should have a solid line of adhesive around the perimeter of the wall to stop airflow.

its just a guide for newbies andy, and all you have to do is bring the dots in about 6'' and do you solid dab around them, oh and this 10mm gap is virtually impossible because nearly every block wall i have dabbed is out at least 20mm so if you practice this 10mm shyte then your walls will be all over the show.

grow up andy you nit picking tw@t, oh and get that fekin giggly stick in the post for me

kirk johnstone said:
steve cov said:
i can't that was the one understanding i had with andy for him to send it

pm it and i will delete this post he will never know ;)

I would delete it its makin the job ten times harder just use a level on top of your straight edge.

PS i think your getting mixed up with dot and screed.

flynnyman said:
kirk johnstone said:
steve cov said:
i can't that was the one understanding i had with andy for him to send it

pm it and i will delete this post he will never know ;)

I would delete it its makin the job ten times harder just use a level on top of your straight edge.

PS i think your getting mixed up with dot and screed.

no mate am on about the post not the topic.

it dose not make the job ten times harder it makes it easier for a novice to do it this way if they were doing a one off wall. dont get me wrong it lakes a long time like i said in the post but at least they will get a good result this way.

i am not getting mixed up with dot and screed. thats why i called it DOT AND DAB, did you actually read it before you made a post mate?

flynnyman said:
i read it and still think you should delete it complete waste of time.

for an experienced plasterer maybe but for a self taught novice i think it will help, this is how it all started flynny, thats why it used to be called DOT and dabbing and not just dabbing. anyway what are you doing in the new to plastering section, i thought you new what you were doing?

kirk johnstone said:
flynnyman said:
i read it and still think you should delete it complete waste of time.

for an experienced plasterer maybe but for a self taught novice i think it will help, this is how it all started flynny, thats why it used to be called DOT and dabbing and not just dabbing. anyway what are you doing in the new to plastering section, i thought you new what you were doing?

just seems a waste of time and i am policing the newbie section, i like to have a wander round and make sure the kids are not messin about with the fixture and fittings. :)

yeh i know what you are saying, if you did this on price you would be skint, but lets say your nextdoor neighbour wanted to dryline the party wall in his living room this would be the best way for him to do a good job.

kirk johnstone said:
its just a guide for newbies andy, and all you have to do is bring the dots in about 6'' and do you solid dab around them, oh and this 10mm gap is virtually impossible because nearly every block wall i have dabbed is out at least 20mm so if you practice this 10mm shyte then your walls will be all over the show.

grow up andy you nit picking tw@t, oh and get that fekin giggly stick in the post for me

I think it's you that needs to grow up you useless t**t you haven't a f**k**g clue. There is a much easier method for a newbie to use that your shite method.

essexandy said:
kirk johnstone said:

I think it's you that needs to grow up you useless (french word) you haven't a (french word)ing clue. There is a much easier method for a newbie to use that your (german word)e method.

lol spot on andy his method made no sense and was a complete waste of time there is such an easier way for a novice or DIYer and thats use a level and straight edge and lets have it right dot and dabbing is not rocket science, and yes kirt i am a tw@t :)

some people on here dont seem to help anyone and just seem to try an take the piss, you aint helpin anyone you just make your self look like a fool

Kirk could you please do me a favour and take that picture of you and your littlun off the screen, I find it so much harder to be abusive to you with an innocent little kid looking back at me, and having your boy there don't help either.

P.S. stop reading books for a while and learn the terms and methods used by real tradesmen, and I mean tradesmen of today not yesteryear.

essexandy said:
Kirk could you please do me a favour and take that picture of you and your littlun off the screen, I find it so much harder to be abusive to you with an innocent little kid looking back at me, and having your boy there don't help either.

P.S. stop reading books for a while and learn the terms and methods used by real tradesmen, and I mean tradesmen of today not yesteryear.

haha you barstard thats my daughter not a boy. i love my books and will never give them up, my missus burnt one once because i spent more time with it than her ;D

kirk johnstone said:
essexandy said:

haha you barstard thats my daughter not a boy. i love my books and will never give them up, my missus burnt one once because i spent more time with it than her ;D

Sorry Kirk no offence meant to your daughter :)

essexandy said:
kirk johnstone said:
essexandy said:

Sorry Kirk no offence meant to your daughter :)

its ok mate she dont care anyway, she is walking around the bedroom shouting her little head off because i wont give her a singing teddy bare (too loud this time of nite) ;)

kirk johnstone said:
essexandy said:

well dont worry kirt i have a copy of that book your missus burnt "how to quote from a book and not really understand what your saying" just give me your address and i will post it out :)

flynnyman said:
kirk johnstone said:
essexandy said:

well dont worry kirt i have a copy of that book your missus burnt "how to quote from a book and not really understand what your saying" just give me your address and i will post it out :)

Priceless :D :D :D :D

essexandy said:

Not when I am supplying they dont lol