A few questions on bonding vs hardwall

Members online

perky416

Hi guys,

Being new to plastering (and un-trained) I have a few questions as to what backing plaster to use between bonding and hardwall.

When I have previously had a plasterer in he told me to PVA the wall, then he applied bonding, then I had to PVA it again before he skimmed it. However reading around I have been lead to believe that hardwall is a better option for bricks (please see the picture attached of my bricks) and that the wall shouldn't be PVA'd before applying it. So this is directly contradicting what my plasterer did. Which would be the correct approach?

Also when the house was re-wired and the chases cut, the plaster and backing pretty much fell off the wall in large sections it came off just as easy with the SDS drill, it looks like when it was done originally it didnt take to the wall too well, so id like to avoid this by using something that really sticks to the wall, would this be bonding or hardwall?

As I say please bear in mind that I am a newbie plaster, i did the airing cupboard which turned out ok then the parts of the bathroom I did turned out perfect, so now im going to attempt to tackle a full wall myself. Would bonding or hardwall be easier to work with for a newbie?

Please note I am totally against dotting and dabbing plasterboard, this has been done in one of the bedrooms by the previous occupant and I did it in the airing cupboard, i just hate the way it makes a solid brick wall sound like a stud wall.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-20181119-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20181119-WA0004.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,471
Hi guys,

Being new to plastering (and un-trained) I have a few questions as to what backing plaster to use between bonding and hardwall.

When I have previously had a plasterer in he told me to PVA the wall, then he applied bonding, then I had to PVA it again before he skimmed it. However reading around I have been lead to believe that hardwall is a better option for bricks (please see the picture attached of my bricks) and that the wall shouldn't be PVA'd before applying it. So this is directly contradicting what my plasterer did. Which would be the correct approach?

Also when the house was re-wired and the chases cut, the plaster and backing pretty much fell off the wall in large sections it came off just as easy with the SDS drill, it looks like when it was done originally it didnt take to the wall too well, so id like to avoid this by using something that really sticks to the wall, would this be bonding or hardwall?

As I say please bear in mind that I am a newbie plaster, i did the airing cupboard which turned out ok then the parts of the bathroom I did turned out perfect, so now im going to attempt to tackle a full wall myself. Would bonding or hardwall be easier to work with for a newbie?

Please note I am totally against dotting and dabbing plasterboard, this has been done in one of the bedrooms by the previous occupant and I did it in the airing cupboard, i just hate the way it makes a solid brick wall sound like a stud wall.

With the greatest of respect as a complete novice you will be much happier with your results if you dot & dab then skim.

If you cant float properly with a straight edge it doesnt matter what product you choose it will still look s**t!

To answer your original question.

Option 1 pva wall then bonding.

Option 2 wet wall down then hardwall.

Both option scratched up then skimmed once firming up/dark patches.

Hardwall for large areas and thick chases etc. Bonding for thin coat on dodgy back grounds before skimming example if a wall has tiles removed and walls are not very nice to skim then give it i tight coat of bonding . Bonding will stick to plasterboard hardwall won’t . Both will need pva after if not skimming same day .

Hardwall for large areas and thick chases etc. Bonding for thin coat on dodgy back grounds before skimming example if a wall has tiles removed and walls are not very nice to skim then give it i tight coat of bonding . Bonding will stick to plasterboard hardwall won’t . Both will need pva after if not skimming same day .
Looking at your picture I’d pva the wall . Float it with hardwall then skim it . But dabbing it is far better especially with old walls . It’s flatter and less likely to crack

Hi guys,

See this hasn't panned out like you hoped.

Dot dab board skim....what the f**k are you planning do do with that door hanging in the middle of nowhere.

Let's ask a doris what she thinks. @JessThePlasterer ...

See this hasn't panned out like you hoped.

Dot dab board skim....what the f**k are you planning do do with that door hanging in the middle of nowhere.

Let's ask a doris what she thinks. @JessThePlasterer ...
I can’t muster the effort to care

It’s very hard to be Queen you know.

I’m trying to find alliances with the other forum nations, treaty for peace and also make strategic battle plans should the scaffolders continue to breed.

I’m very busy and important

Pva bonding and skim, but personally I would rake bake the joints a bit, wet it and go with sand, cement and hydrated lime render then skim it a couple days later.
You being a novice would be better of paying a proper plasterer to do it.