A cracking question

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigfella

Hi went to look at a job today and the top 6 inches of the internal wall and on some of the ceiling have cracks running horizontally nearly all the way round the external walls it's a bungalow maybe 80 years old and I'm just after some advice ? I've taken some pictures for you to have a look

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 240
That's movement if new build could put it down to settlement but 80 years either water washing under foundations or big tree in garden?

more than anything i would be looking at the joists,wood running round top of bricks drying getting wet drying in turn drying and shrinking long drawn out process to get to that stage.

just a thought!

Has any works been done recently, any new steels put in or openings made wider, strange looking cracks, stress signs

Yeah that could be it also didn't know if it could be movement on the roof ? I.e no roof straps and its lifting or is that just crazy talk ?

What was the condition of the rain water goods and are all the drains outside clear no down pipes just running down wall onto the ground? or
water running down external walls

have they had some services changed - electrics, water pipes or heating..... could be where these have been chased in an reskimmed.....?

Definitely worth getting a surveyor in. I've seen that before and it was put down to subsidence. I could be wrong but plastering it won't repair it for long. Will probably crack almost straight away

Is the bungalow detached or a semi and if it's a semi has the neighbour got the same prob ?
as already said could be roof straps and from direction of cracks in pic's could the roof of twisted if you get me drift?
I wouldn't be suprised if a serveyor recomended removing top 300mm of plaster to inspect brickwork !

Its usual about water to much or not enough water. from gutters running under house or a tree sucking up to much water and drying out ground no tree! so it must be to much might be a water mains leak!

i dnt think they would crack in that pattern rich.
ive just had a job cancel on me well they rang me and i tried to diagnose it then told them to get onto the insurance about it, basically the kitchen internal skin only had a massive crack running up and diagnoaly and getting wider as it goes up, movement right, then i noticed it went accross the floor all as one huge crack, but not on the external skin of brickwork:RpS_confused:.
i asked them a bit of history and they said they used to have loads of trees outside there house but now theres only one right outside there kitchen and one week the council turned up and ripped the others out.
ive come up with the idea that now the trees are out the water table has rose and a major root running under the extension is now swelling with extra water pushing the slab up and moving the internal skin.
why not the outside???? used to be cladding and timber frame but they replaced it with brickwork and its not joined to the internal skin thus not moving

oh yeah also the roof had a hole in it anyway and was pissing water through it.
my point is we can diagnose as best as poss but its best to pass it on to the people who know more

Status
Not open for further replies.