80cm eze spat

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2THEB

Hi everyone just thought id post my opinion about my new 80cm eze spat.Used it saturady and today .first job was a dinning room re-skim over old plaster walls with a new boarded ceiling . The standard blade that comes with the spat i found a little to stiff for multi it seemed to dig in the corners a fair bit and leave lines im sure after a bit more experimenting amd playing about you could probally learn to use it on multi fine , maybe simply leaving it to firm up a bit more than you normally would may stop it digging in as much or sanding the corners down a bit.for me thow il probally jist use it backing coats etc, so amyway i swapped it for the flexi blade and that blade worked a treat . Its very flexible but smooths and levels the plaster really well, also didnt leave any lines at all just glides over the plaster leaving it nice and smooth with not much effort at all, i found the spat nice to hold and using both hands found it easy to keep a nice even pressure along the wall . I also orderd the pole attachment and that really does make a ceiling loads less labour intensive , the only problem for me was the 2 little allen key bolts for the pole attachment. Not a major problem but could become a bit of pain if doing a wall and ceilig at the same time and having to keep the allen key in your pocket it will defo get lost at some point. i think if they could be changed for the sort of self tighning bolt were the end of the bolt has a sort of griped area so u can tighten them with just your fingers.think that would be better .i didnt finish with the spat i stuck to my plazzie trowel (refina) and was well happy with the end result, the spat defo made the job a lot easier with less effort, didnt really save much time but was a lot more relaxed with plenty of time to clean buckets tools etc, this was my method 1st coat flatten with spat ,2nd coat flatten with spat, leave to firm 1 more pass with the spat and 2 plazie trowels came out really nice. the second job i used it on was a small bathroom 3 walls (plasterboard) and a ceiling (stippled artex) tried a differnt method this time 1st coat flatten with speedskim ,2nd coat flatten with speedskim , 1 dry spat ,1 wet spat and a final dry spat once it had firmed a fair bit , again came out really nice will go back and have a look at the finish when its dry as i didnt use the plazie this time and i do like the finish a plazie gives so will see if there is a differnce, couldnt use it on the ceiling cos there was 8 downlights getting in the way . Iv never used one of the refina spats so cant compare it to that but the refina price tag did allways put me off ,the eze spat is cheaper and has replacable blades so better value for money, Oh one more thing about the blades i think the blade covers that come with them should defo cover the full lenght of the blade like the refina plazieflex ones .the flexi blade is very thin and will probally nick very easily so protecting the full lenght is a must in my opinion . Bottom line well happy with my purchase will try a few more techniques and see how the finish is in the bathroom in a couple of days. Cheers ryan for sorting my order . It arrived next day and very well packed took bleeding ages to get it all open .great service .

i think ryans getting rid of his carpet in his house cos everything ive had off him has had 100m2 of underlay inside haha. massive box turns up and theres a screw inside kind of thing:RpS_thumbsup:

How much of an angle did you hold it at? ​I found i was holding it near flat to the wall when i was using it and not sure if thats the correct way.

Just the one that came with it and it is very flexible. Still experimenting with it but quite impressed so far.

Thats the standard blade then mate i found it a bit too firm to be honest, i can defo recomend the flexi blade , it glides over the finish and smooths it lovely leaving little to no lines. I think you will notice the differnce mate. Or stick at it , try maybe sanding the standard blade so its got a bit of a worn shaoe to it especially on the corners think that might help aswell

I thought it smoothed it ok but it seemed to draw the moisture to the surface that why i was asking about angles. I'll speak to ryan about trying flexi blade.

The moister thing i noticed on the first flatten but 2nd flatten was fine , i think your maybe jumping on it a bit early mate, try and let it firm a little more than normal befor u give it a 2nd trowel/spat . Im the same as you new to the spats,its all about giving it a go and trying differnt techniques sure u will suss a way that works for you

Yea i know what you mean mate. I quit like trying new tools and learning techniques , sometimes it works for you , somtimes it doesnt. To be honest dont think you ever stop learning really .

Hi everyone just thought id post my opinion about my new 80cm eze spat.Used it saturady and today .first job was a dinning room re-skim over old plaster walls with a new boarded ceiling . The standard blade that comes with the spat i found a little to stiff for multi it seemed to dig in the corners a fair bit and leave lines im sure after a bit more experimenting amd playing about you could probally learn to use it on multi fine , maybe simply leaving it to firm up a bit more than you normally would may stop it digging in as much or sanding the corners down a bit.for me thow il probally jist use it backing coats etc, so amyway i swapped it for the flexi blade and that blade worked a treat . Its very flexible but smooths and levels the plaster really well, also didnt leave any lines at all just glides over the plaster leaving it nice and smooth with not much effort at all, i found the spat nice to hold and using both hands found it easy to keep a nice even pressure along the wall . I also orderd the pole attachment and that really does make a ceiling loads less labour intensive , the only problem for me was the 2 little allen key bolts for the pole attachment. Not a major problem but could become a bit of pain if doing a wall and ceilig at the same time and having to keep the allen key in your pocket it will defo get lost at some point. i think if they could be changed for the sort of self tighning bolt were the end of the bolt has a sort of griped area so u can tighten them with just your fingers.think that would be better .i didnt finish with the spat i stuck to my plazzie trowel (refina) and was well happy with the end result, the spat defo made the job a lot easier with less effort, didnt really save much time but was a lot more relaxed with plenty of time to clean buckets tools etc, this was my method 1st coat flatten with spat ,2nd coat flatten with spat, leave to firm 1 more pass with the spat and 2 plazie trowels came out really nice. the second job i used it on was a small bathroom 3 walls (plasterboard) and a ceiling (stippled artex) tried a differnt method this time 1st coat flatten with speedskim ,2nd coat flatten with speedskim , 1 dry spat ,1 wet spat and a final dry spat once it had firmed a fair bit , again came out really nice will go back and have a look at the finish when its dry as i didnt use the plazie this time and i do like the finish a plazie gives so will see if there is a differnce, couldnt use it on the ceiling cos there was 8 downlights getting in the way . Iv never used one of the refina spats so cant compare it to that but the refina price tag did allways put me off ,the eze spat is cheaper and has replacable blades so better value for money, Oh one more thing about the blades i think the blade covers that come with them should defo cover the full lenght of the blade like the refina plazieflex ones .the flexi blade is very thin and will probally nick very easily so protecting the full lenght is a must in my opinion . Bottom line well happy with my purchase will try a few more techniques and see how the finish is in the bathroom in a couple of days. Cheers ryan for sorting my order . It arrived next day and very well packed took bleeding ages to get it all open .great service .

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your review on the EZE Spat. I have spoken to our manufacturers and they are coming up with an easier solution for the pole attachment. Hopefully this will be done soon. Glad your getting on with it and everything arrived on time.

Ryan

been looking these caz there cheap compared to the refina spat but are they as gud or am a worth paying a little extra for the trust worthy refina

Hi mate, we still do the Excalibur which is exactly the same as the Refina Spat, we get them from the same manufacturer.

The main benefits of the EZE Spat are:

Cost - they are a fraction of the price

Replaceable Blades - 2 different types of blade avaliable, the standard for renders and basecoats, the flexible for plaster. Both are avaliable for next day delivery and they are very cheap. Also stainless steel.

The main body of the EZE Spat is made of Aluminium, therefore is slightly heavier. But it is more robust / less likely to break. The added weight is not really a draw back if anything it gives you slightly more control.

If you want to do a comparison on the prices of the Spats please visit: Plasterers 1 Stop Shop » Plastering & Screeding Machines
EZE Spat and the Excalibur spats have there own section so are pretty easy to find.

If you want to give me a call to discuss them please feel free to call me on: 01242 236699

Ryan

I can defo recommend the eze spat with the flexi blade added . Works a treat on multi and the 80cm is a good size for walls and ceilings, very happy with my purchase oh and replacble blades makes it a winner for me.

just waiting to get paid from a job and i will be purchasing one whats the difference with the eze and the excaliber

The Excalibur has a plastic handle and the Blades are not replaceable. It also only comes with one type of blade 'Flexi' whereas the EZE Spat has the choice of 2, Standard being ideal for Renders and Base-coats 'Flexi' for Plaster. Also the main body is Aluminium so is less likely to break

The Excalibur is also slightly more expensive but still cheaper than other competitors. Where about are you based? Your more than welcome to pop in and have a look at the two and see the differences.

Both are very similar in Quality, the one just has a few more benefits.

Ryan

how much do you do the 80 cm eze spat for forum members inc delivery and vat? also if you buy the spat does it come with the two blades as standard?

Hi Guys,

Cant remember the prices off the top of my head but they are on our website. I'm sure I can sort you out with both blades if you give me a call Monday :) members always get some form of discount.

Ryan

Do you supply any protective masking tapes at a reasonable price, only I have a few issues with my current supplier.

Don't need nothing fancy, just a reliable, 'does what it says on the tin' type of thing.

If you fancy sending a sample down for me to trial,I will gladly review them and give you my honest feedback.

Hi Nick,

We do indeed. We have sold thousands of rolls and only had one call up on the product which the manufacturer is looking into. Everyone who has used it has been full of praise for the tape. Will PM you more details

So one post in 29 days (minimum) to 60 days. Hardly in Beddy or Asifs league is it. Christ some sados even post when on the holiday/tour of a lifetime, I know, hard to believe isn't it.

its not all fun! iv had my wisdom teeth out and am on their super strength super trippy opiate painkillers. had 2 pints and could hardly walk the other day. and its raining. and the lady is at work. days like this even make an eze spat review mildly interesting. actually no....

Status
Not open for further replies.