8:30 on a saturday night wating to float render!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.p.t plastering

Not good, knew it was a bad idea to wet down the scratch coat, had it all on by 12 o clock, and all along the bottom you could still move about and rule off 6 hours later, just wouldn't go off.

Had to get the van lights on it...

Evan missed going out for a curry with my mates...lol

s.p.t plastering said:
Not good, knew it was a bad idea to wet down the scratch coat, had it all on by 12 o clock, and all along the bottom you could still move about and rule off 6 hours later, just wouldn't go off.

Had to get the van lights on it...

Evan missed going out for a curry with my mates...lol
thought i was sad on that this time

sorry to sounds un simpathetic..but rendering at this time of year.......its always gonna happen.....suppose moneys money tho.......sod that tho

Yeah put lime in it. i would rateher it hanged about really, you can play about and get it spot on, but it was just the botom lift was hanging, the rest of it looks sound..

It kept lifting and pealing off in places at he botom where it was soaking, why is this? is it causes theres no suction?

And i thought the waterprofer was s**t...lol

poss cause you were floating it wet, moved it around and it come unstuck.................had the same prob on my neighbours ..........cracks everywhere ;D ;D

Feel sorry for you mate I've left all my top coats till the spring you really have to be carefull this time of year its about 8 d during the day and down to 2 at night that will just kill your cement and then your f**k*d .

when you think about all the water is doing is going downwards behind the top coat its got nowhere to go an it will just hold at the bottom esp this time of year

There a a few various tips and tricks you can do to help yourself out in cold weather rendering it starts with making sure there is guttering and temporally down pipes in place your problems could start a couple of days before you turn up to topcoat if the walls have taken a good soaking also if you can and there is scaffolding involved and if its safe remove the boards nearest the wall so the rain cannot slash up on to your wall again soaking it , make sure you fill the beads out that little bit more when applying the scratch so your topcoat thickness can stay around 8mm or under also cut down on the amount of waterproof that goes in the scratch especially towards the bottom half of the wall as madmonk said above the water drains downwards so maybe use a 1/4 of your normal amount or leave it out all together .When topcoating make sure your sand is dry and been keep covered ,why not start from the bottom of the wall so the bit that hangs around the most goes on first try to stiffen the muck up a bit by cutting the water down make it slightly harder to use but again it will save you time , use twice as much lime in the topcoat as you would normally , stick on old newspaper to just above your bellcast this will pull out water from the render changing it once it becomes saturated . Use a frostproofer/accelerator in the mix and use a bit more than the stated dose and make sure you have cut off time for when stop putting the render on the wall 10.30 am works for me you can get a fair bit on by then also the temperatures start to drop after midday .

church said:
There a a few various tips and tricks you can do to help yourself out in cold weather rendering it starts with making sure there is guttering and temporally down pipes in place your problems could start a couple of days before you turn up to topcoat if the walls have taken a good soaking also if you can and there is scaffolding involved and if its safe remove the boards nearest the wall so the rain cannot slash up on to your wall again soaking it , make sure you fill the beads out that little bit more when applying the scratch so your topcoat thickness can stay around 8mm or under also cut down on the amount of waterproof that goes in the scratch especially towards the bottom half of the wall as madmonk said above the water drains downwards so maybe use a 1/4 of your normal amount or leave it out all together .When topcoating make sure your sand is dry and been keep covered ,why not start from the bottom of the wall so the bit that hangs around the most goes on first try to stiffen the muck up a bit by cutting the water down make it slightly harder to use but again it will save you time , use twice as much lime in the topcoat as you would normally , stick on old newspaper to just above your bellcast this will pull out water from the render changing it once it becomes saturated . Use a frostproofer/accelerator in the mix and use a bit more than the stated dose and make sure you have cut off time for when stop putting the render on the wall 10.30 am works for me you can get a fair bit on by then also the temperatures start to drop after midday .

excellent advise i would even go as far as one of the best bits of advice ive read on this forum definetly stick this in the tips section.

flynnyman said:
church said:

excellent advise i would even go as far as one of the best bits of advice ive read on this forum definetly stick this in the tips section.

That was a bit friendly 4 once?

church said:

That is exelent advice mate, we did have it all on by about 12 o clock, my brother jumped back ruleing and floating when we had the top half on, and yeah the sand was pretty soked...I made the frist couple of mixes with less water has the sand was soked, and they where spot on, but the last 2 mixes where made by the person who's house we where doing, and they where really wet mixes, and pretty s**t mixes to be fair....Proberly why it didn't go off, that and the tempature droping after miiday again..

Went down and had a look earlier on, and it looks alright actually, seeing as last bit was floated/sponged in the dark, with van lights on...

Client is over the moon so!!

oasis said:
flynnyman said:
church said:

That was a bit friendly 4 once?

just the truth oasis just the truth you know me, sometimes the truth hurts :)

read a post earlier re sbr/sharpsand/cement as a bonding agent would do the job. In Ireland this is called scudding and is normally 'harled' at blockwork.Would poss work. Not sure this would work on 50yr old render with 49 yr old grime etc build up. Never heard of rend aid as I said but their tech advice is a bit ambiguos

Status
Not open for further replies.