600mm centres

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

User___removed

i started a site today (timber frame).the agent has insisted that 600 centres with no noggins on ceilings taking a 12.5mm board is ok.
This is to be skimming also.
I mentioned this to him a few weeks back although he reckons it's fine
Your thoughts please
Cheers

Brittish gypsum and knauf have said 600mm on a standard wallboard is acceptable. It is on the spec on their websites for the plasterboards.

I had same question when i first started timber frames.

To me it doesnt seem.right but theyre the experts

i started a site today (timber frame).the agent has insisted that 600 centres with no noggins on ceilings taking a 12.5mm board is ok.
This is to be skimming also.
I mentioned this to him a few weeks back although he reckons it's fine
Your thoughts please
Cheers
only 600mm centres on walls. 12.5mm on ceilings without noggins will bow.

If insist they nog it on ceilings or waive any responsibility if it sags or cracks. I'm doing a timber frame at the moment where they've not bogged the perimeters on the walls @ 600 centres. Luckily it's all double boarded for thermal mass, so I'm doing ceiling, walls ceiling walls and using a mastic in the corners to basically glue them together. Your client is probably trying to save money by not doing the noggins

Ceiling single board- grid 1200/1200. I always do 1100/1100.
Two skins- grid 1200/900. I go for 1100/800
Mf5 -400 or 450 , that depends on the size of the board.

That speck for the timber is a bit ....... To be honest,but hey ho,you have to follow the spec

We do s**t loads of timber frames and I would never use 12.5 on ceiling at 600 centres your asking for trouble (sagging and cracking) even on low budget sites always 15mm on ceiling 12.5 on walls.
On private we use 15mm for walls as well

450 centers on ceiling board 400 centers on standard wall board never in my life have I done 600 centers only on partitions

I have sent the site agent a email with my concerns about this.
That's all I can do I suppose.
It's the first of 30 houses so gonna be a long job I reckon!!!

They will be a c**t to skim Bobby, if you end up going ahead with it get back on skimming them ASAP. Had a pain in my stones doing a couple of houses at 600 centres, the builder was only came round to my way of thinking when he saw what extra it was costing him in finish!! Your supplying??!!

They will be a c**t to skim Bobby, if you end up going ahead with it get back on skimming them ASAP. Had a pain in my stones doing a couple of houses at 600 centres, the builder was only came round to my way of thinking when he saw what extra it was costing him in finish!! Your supplying??!!
Yes I'm supplying all the materials on 30 houses

I haven't been on site today but the boarders have finished so will take a look next week.
As a contractor it's just a matter of cracking on with it
Exactly. Im not saying i agree with it. Far from it. But are we going to spent extra on 15mm boards out of our price?

Exactly. Im not saying i agree with it. Far from it. But are we going to spent extra on 15mm boards out of our price?
I prefer 600mm centres. The job is quicker to insulate and there is less screwing. I have always thought 15mm board is for ceilings with no noggins. Also you can actually move the joints with 12mm if you push too hard when skimming, cracking it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.