3rd yr city and guilds

is there any point in doin my 3rd yr diploma

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sidewaysking156

hi all brilliant forum im just nearing the end of my 2nd yr at collage but been plastering and boarding for around 7 yrs has any of you done your full time at collage and done the 3rd year and has it made a differance or is it not all that worth it and shud i start to advertise now or when ive finished thanks all

never done a day at college. Started when I was 16 labouring to my oldman and took it from there, been at it 10 years now. Starting up on my own this week, looking to get the NVQ2 done and get the CSCS card done this year just to get some paper and be a "real" spread. ;D

Advice is start now if you can, it'll give you some priceless experience. College might teach the theory ect but the only way to perfect your finish and build speed over large areas is doing the job. If you can, get in with a right old b*****d and work with him, the s**t you'll learn in a few weeks will piss all over your 3 years at college.

My tuppenceworth anyway.

Want quals will receive from finishing your second year compaired with doing the third?

well tbh iv worked for a old basterd for yrs and iv learned the trade the same as u it only coz i kept getting asked for quals that i decided to go to collage most sites require you to be level 2 city and guilds or diploma and ive learned a s**t load at collage that the old basterd didnt teach me id rather have done 2 yrs at collage then 5 days at a course to get my certs hope that doesnt offend any1 it wasnt meant to

RainbowThistlePlastering said:
never done a day at college. Started when I was 16 labouring to my oldman and took it from there, been at it 10 years now. Starting up on my own this week, looking to get the NVQ2 done and get the CSCS card done this year just to get some paper and be a "real" spread. ;D

Advice is start now if you can, it'll give you some priceless experience. College might teach the theory ect but the only way to perfect your finish and build speed over large areas is doing the job. If you can, get in with a right old b*****d and work with him, the (german word) you'll learn in a few weeks will (french word) all over your 3 years at college.

My tuppenceworth anyway.

i agree but if i were in your shoes i would stick at the collage, you can never know too much. my old man taught me but i still wish i had gone to collage :)

carlos said:
Want quals will receive from finishing your second year compaired with doing the third?
3rd yr is business management and iv looked at jobs with these quals and there around £60000 a yr after around 5 yrs experiance and more assessor certificates it was for a collage in cardiff

60k a year for working in business managment?

plastering, if you want to be an assesor for a collage or want to run a big company i guess thats what it all about i dunno i havent got to it yet

ah cool. wouldn't want to do that myself, I have way to much fun on jobs pissing off sparks and chippies. But if you can get quals for that kind of thing then take them while you can.

ah cool. wouldn't want to do that myself, I have way to much fun on jobs (french word)ing off sparks and chippies. But if you can get quals for that kind of thing then take them while you can.

more of a grafter than a pen pusher tbh lol nothing better then startin work on a cold winters morning then ten minutes after bashin a bucket up ur sweating ya tits off love it

yeah good point iv fracture 3 lower vertibra and my pelvice racing bikes but i dnt seem to feal it anymore well av to c how busy i get i spose

definetly do your third year its well worth knowing more and having the certs to prove it, the difference between level 2 and 3 could be massive in a few years its not just business but a lot more. Qualifications are coming to the front in the construction industry after such a long time of not really mattering, check out the CSCS thread a long read but will show you the difference between qualified and unqualified. Most people who will advise you to jump straight on the tools rather than get qualified are usually unqualified or regret getting quals, a fair point you might improve your speed on site in a year but you might be taking a backwards step as far as your career is concerned in the future. Going from being on site for years to getting qualified is very difficult for a lot of people coz they feel they know it all and its always a lot harder to educate yourself once your older coz of family commitments and stubborness, its an age thing you will find out once you get older. You are in college now so just carry on for a year also set yourself up but advertising as a fully qualified spread is better than a part qualified spread.

I thought city & guilds wasn't recognised with cscs these days, only NVQ!
So after 3 years city & guilds will sidewaysking have to do OSAT to gain his nvq2 for his cscs card.
Even though he will have recently done 3yrs at college.

Nisus said:
So after 3 years city & guilds will sidewaysking have to do OSAT to gain his nvq2 for his cscs card.

its all the same city and guilds / nvq and now its all being called a city and guilds diploma and they do ur health and safety test for your cscs card in the first yr free of charge all i had to do was book it online so the answer is no coz iv already got 1

GOLD CARD - SKILLED WORKER

You may qualify for a gold skilled card if you have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 3, or if you have completed an approved indentured apprenticeship (e.g.with NJCBI, BATJIC etc.) or an employer sponsored apprenticeship and completed a City and Guilds of London Institute Advanced Craft Certificate.

If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job see Experienced Worker Card for more information.

All applicants must pass the construction health and safety test.

but also says this on the application form

Details of evidence required for craft & operative cards:
Skilled Cards
City & Guilds – a copy of your full City & Guilds Craft or Advanced Craft certificate or other recognised equivalent – this route expires
on 31/12/06 – applications will not be accepted if submitted after this date.
Approved Apprenticeship – a copy of your completion certificate or other proof of completion.
Employer Apprenticeship – a letter from the employer you served your apprenticeship with, stating your name, occupation and
completion date, and a copy of your full City & Guilds Craft or Advanced Craft certificate.
S/NVQ level 2 or 3 – a copy of your *S/NVQ certificate level 2 or 3 certificate.

ive just renewed mine and thye never mentioned it and ive got advanced craft so hey.

GOLD CARD - SUPERVISOR

You may qualifity for a gold supervisor card if you are involved in supervisor occupations.

Cards can be applied for through industry accreditation, for three years from release date, or by achievement of an NVQ or SVQ level 3 in a supervisory occuaption.

Some of these occupations may be covered by the Professional Membership Mapped Route.

For those who apply after industry accreditation has closed, entry will be by NVQ or SVQ level 3 or by applying for an experienced manager card.

All applicants must pass the supervisor level construction health and safety test.

sidewaysking156 said:
Nisus said:

its all the same city and guilds / nvq and now its all being called a city and guilds diploma and they do ur health and safety test for your cscs card in the first yr free of charge all i had to do was book it online so the answer is no coz iv already got 1

is it still called advanced craft on your third year?

flynnyman said:
GOLD CARD - SKILLED WORKER

You may qualify for a gold skilled card if you have achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 3, or if you have completed an approved indentured apprenticeship (e.g.with NJCBI, BATJIC etc.) or an employer sponsored apprenticeship and completed a City and Guilds of London Institute Advanced Craft Certificate.

If you do not have these qualifications, you may apply for a skilled card if you are experienced in your job see Experienced Worker Card for more information.

All applicants must pass the construction health and safety test.

but also says this on the application form

Details of evidence required for craft & operative cards:
Skilled Cards
City & Guilds – a copy of your full City & Guilds Craft or Advanced Craft certificate or other recognised equivalent – this route expires
on 31/12/06 – applications will not be accepted if submitted after this date.
Approved Apprenticeship – a copy of your completion certificate or other proof of completion.
Employer Apprenticeship – a letter from the employer you served your apprenticeship with, stating your name, occupation and
completion date, and a copy of your full City & Guilds Craft or Advanced Craft certificate.
S/NVQ level 2 or 3 – a copy of your *S/NVQ certificate level 2 or 3 certificate.

ive just renewed mine and thye never mentioned it and ive got advanced craft so hey.

GOLD CARD - SUPERVISOR

You may qualifity for a gold supervisor card if you are involved in supervisor occupations.

Cards can be applied for through industry accreditation, for three years from release date, or by achievement of an NVQ or SVQ level 3 in a supervisory occuaption.

Some of these occupations may be covered by the Professional Membership Mapped Route.

For those who apply after industry accreditation has closed, entry will be by NVQ or SVQ level 3 or by applying for an experienced manager card.

All applicants must pass the supervisor level construction health and safety test.

so basically if i did do my 3rd yr i could apply for a gold card whoop whoop

But be prepared if you get the GOLD there are a lot of jealous unqualified plasterers knocking about who will do anything to get there hands on the GOLD so keep it in a very safe place where they will never find it ie; a college, library, building confederation, building site and even a barbers ;). Never ever leave it in a cafe, public toilet, council tip, crack house or a G** massage parlour ;)

flynnyman said:
But be prepared if you get the GOLD there are a lot of jealous unqualified plasterers knocking about who will do anything to get there hands on the GOLD so keep it in a very safe place where they will never find it ie; a college, library, building confederation, building site and even a barbers ;). Never ever leave it in a cafe, public toilet, council tip, crack house or a G** massage parlour ;)

best tip if had yet but you missed out the absailing club iv read kirk likes sitting on his thumb pmsl

sidewaysking156 said:
flynnyman said:

best tip if had yet but you missed out the absailing club iv read kirk likes sitting on his thumb pmsl

ah yeh forgot that one lol

Status
Not open for further replies.