365,000 homes a year

Vincey

Private Member
I just been reading an article about house building just after the second world war it said in 1954 365,000 new houses were built.Bearing in mind materials were not readily available as they are now and a lot of the trades have improved on time taken to do jobs now,how come we are 60 year's down the line and struggle to hit 250,000 a year that is always touted as a magic number we need to be building ?

I just been reading an article about house building just after the second world war it said in 1954 365,000 new houses were built.Bearing in mind materials were not readily available as they are now and a lot of the trades have improved on time taken to do jobs now,how come we are 60 year's down the line and struggle to hit 250,000 a year that is always touted as a magic number we need to be building ?
I think it's down to planning mostly, takes a long time to push through a new development on a green belt, they try to push brownfield sites but they not always profitable if you got soil contamination or existing building. We got 900 houses to be built right next door to us, local authority dismissed it so as the locals fighting it to be scrapped but there's one single bloke in the government who can overrule any decision and he given the go ahead. First house to be released in 2019 I think, doubt any local contractor will be involved in it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Its shite anyway as none of us lads c it anyhow as big guys just take it all as there's no profit in it for us after every1s taken a slice..slave labour prices u get from them lot

Its shite anyway as none of us lads c it anyhow as big guys just take it all as there's no profit in it for us after every1s taken a slice..slave labour prices u get from them lot
There's a site from us a few miles up the road like 40-50 houses in a plot, seen spreads from Chelmsford working there, it's beyond me how it's worth it for them to drive 100-120 miles a day to work. Must be money in it if they come that far or just to tie them over till the next one I'm not sure

There's a site from us a few miles up the road like 40-50 houses in a plot, seen spreads from Chelmsford working there, it's beyond me how it's worth it for them to drive 100-120 miles a day to work. Must be money in it if they come that far or just to tie them over till the next one I'm not sure

I worked with a plasterer that had to travel far and wide because everyone local to him knew he was shite

Depends how desperate there are for work some lads will work For owt all I know Is the big firms pay peanuts and I'm not even talking £2m2 skim..been told b4 wens a builder has rung me or but so and so only pays this much I'm like I dnt care Im not working for that

I worked with a plasterer that had to travel far and wide because everyone local to him knew he was shite
Every spread I know is stacked out and most of them are shite...u knw there's loads about wen the s**t of the s**t are busy

When there is more money in plasterboarding u know skimming is f**k*d.
It's when you run for the big bucks. You have to be really clever on site nowadays . Book in over 1.5k for the week and they are all over your job. Office c**ts just don't get it, it's numbers only for them. Skills , abilities , time served, these things don't mean anything to them. If you earn that amount of £ on this site, next one the price s way cheaper and most of us are wondering why?

It's when you run for the big bucks. You have to be really clever on site nowadays . Book in over 1.5k for the week and they are all over your job. Office c**ts just don't get it, it's numbers only for them. Skills , abilities , time served, these things don't mean anything to them. If you earn that amount of £ on this site, next one the price s way cheaper and most of us are wondering why?
Exactly these c**ts will only let you earn so much, once your wages are set that's what your getting and you fight for there rest it's f**k**g boring, that's why these guys travel miles they are two wages in, thank f**k I don't do site work no more.

Exactly these c**ts will only let you earn so much, once your wages are set that's what your getting and you fight for there rest it's f**k**g boring, that's why these guys travel miles they are two wages in, thank f**k I don't do site work no more.

And the funny thing is , when on day rate, you do f**k all and they don't mind paying you :hueco::tonto:

I think it's down to planning mostly, takes a long time to push through a new development on a green belt, they try to push brownfield sites but they not always profitable if you got soil contamination or existing building. We got 900 houses to be built right next door to us, local authority dismissed it so as the locals fighting it to be scrapped but there's one single bloke in the government who can overrule any decision and he given the go ahead. First house to be released in 2019 I think, doubt any local contractor will be involved in it

Think you right , tbh now I think it's kind of what they want,to not build to many so price's keep rising if they could sort 350,000 in 1954 I sure now the same amount could be built..it would be good for trade that's for sure if those kind of numbers were being hit.
WP_20160619_19_55_33_Pro.jpg

Think you right , tbh now I think it's kind of what they want,to not build to many so price's keep rising if they could sort 350,000 in 1954 I sure now the same amount could be built..it would be good for trade that's for sure if those kind of numbers were being hit.
View attachment 12334
Back in those days a lot of work carried out by pow's, the country can't cope with the speed now hence a lot of us foreigners here, and h&s don't help matters either.
How I see it is, land prices are high, they also have to do affordable housing on new developments, so they have to make a killing on the rest, and trades will take the hit on the paypocket.

there is a large firm of plastering contractors at chelmsford, they are site workers. they were on here but i have seen one of their posts for a while. plasterers ltd.

Land was cheaper a lot of places were bombed so something had to happen as people needed homes government sorted it.
I just can't understand why we can't get it sorted if it's needed now.
At junction 25 m1 there is a plan for 3000 on brownfield and loads of large and smaller development plans just takes so long to get it started it's mad.

What firm is that?

That's bad..knw wonder poor f**k**s leave there work 3 inch out of plumb and dont clean there snots..does any1 knw wat persimmon pay plasterers asked a load of times to no avail surely sumbody has wrked for them recently.