30 2 m ceiling to skim over Artex next week on my own

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

finefinishwales

Got a massive ceiling to do next week on my jack .Getting it laid on is no problem but stopping it going off before i can get back to start is. Any tactic to slowing down the process guys? or should I share the wealth and get some help :RpS_unsure:
Ceiling done only one thing i can say my new speedskim was awesome! heat pad on back ice pack on shoulder vodka in fridge!

Last edited:
Got a massive ceiling to do next week on my jack .Getting it laid on is no problem but stopping it going off before i can get back to start is. Any tactic to slowing down the process guys? or should I share the wealth and get some help :RpS_unsure:

Get another spread in ideally mate that way you know it will be handled fairly easily and your not chasing it

Not use cream of tartar yet will be giving it a go on some board work Friday and sat see what it's like, one top full per bag apparently, just got a couple of speedskims and it flattens off pretty well tbh, haven't mastered it just yet, getting the lab to start flattening with it should help with meterage, haven't got a spat

i did one just before christmas on me own it was about 35- 36m2 over artex, i just made sure i had 2 healthy coats of pva on it first, then knocked up with bonding in the first coat, think i used quite a bit of bonding in the first coat, it still went off quick but not 2 quick that i couldnt flatten it in, then the top coat hung about like a treat, i was on stilts though, youll be fine im sure:RpS_thumbup:

.once prepared it is a piece of piss to do,,Mix three nice buckets of finish, but do not look at the huge 75kg pile of finish with 40 litres of water in the mix, bang it on quick ,flatten it, clear away old stuff, mix a nice bucket and a half, bang that on, flatten and then you can relax, take your time, flatten,trowel chill...Or hire a real MAN ,A 4m stroker on stilts....

Prep well...double glue it, get everything set up proper......stilts personally are the only way to do 5m + ceilings...... a 30 m one , you'll get a sweat on im fairly sure cause your worried about it but youll be cool....just dont panic...doesnt do any good......steady and smooth with good pace ....and the money youve saved you can get yaself a large voddy and coke and count the rest left in your pocket and smile. good luck

Bang on what Johniosaif says ........if you dont push yourself , you wont get faster and be able to lay big ceilings on . In saying all this if your only used to 9m ceilings....u could have a F*****g g mare lol so if its that case get another spread in.........ive managed to hit a 65m+ before with mixing boy...wouldnt wanna do it again...but I did it......I sounded like a friggin john mcenroe serving for the match by the end of it lol.

Last edited:
If you think it will be too much for you why dont you do it in 2 halves. Just make sure you feather it in well and run some joint cement along join. With it being artex i think youll be alright if its low suction to hit out in one.

.once prepared it is a piece of piss to do,,Mix three nice buckets of finish, but do not look at the huge 75kg pile of finish with 40 litres of water in the mix, bang it on quick ,flatten it, clear away old stuff, mix a nice bucket and a half, bang that on, flatten and then you can relax, take your time, flatten,trowel chill...Or hire a real MAN ,A 4m stroker on stilts....

:RpS_thumbup:

If you think it will be too much for you why dont you do it in 2 halves. Just make sure you feather it in well and run some joint cement along join. With it being artex i think youll be alright if its low suction to hit out in one.

No disrespect mate but if i was a customer and someone turned up to my house and did my ceiling in two hits then run joint cement down the middle to hide the joins id tell them to piss off, and i wouldn't be paying them either.

:RpS_wink:

What the feck is this all about it's only 30m2 for heavens sake. Are you lot plasterers or what?

Lay half on mix next half bang that on flatten first bit lay it down
Flatten second half lay that in etc etc rolling set if ya dont want to mix in one hit

I'm not getting any younger lol i'l sort it pity i'm only 6'4" it's just out of my reach put the wife high heels on i'l be sorted any of you guys using the Gypsum spray unit?

honestly mate its only 30m2 use that micro stuff that nick was on about bonding in the first coat and it will hang and you will feel a tit for asking how to do it:RpS_wink:

3 hand fulls of drywall adisive in each mix and second coat ..ull be amazed but make sure it goes in the water first and spin t make sure it goes in the the second coat to it works trust me dont use to much water on it when trowlin

Status
Not open for further replies.