30 2 m ceiling to skim over Artex next week on my own

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the old days to slow down plaster we would put milk in the mix and to speed it up we would p**s in it and you know what they both worked (but the plaster would smell a bit of cheese for the milk one and would smell of you know what for the other). But what you could do is pva the artex first then coat in a thin coat of thistle bonding and then next day skim as normal it will suck for a minute or two then once laid in it will not suck and should be a p**s to trowel up.

No disrespect mate but if i was a customer and someone turned up to my house and did my ceiling in two hits then run joint cement down the middle to hide the joins id tell them to piss off, and i wouldn't be paying them either.
I get where your coming from mate, of course you would be pissed if you were expecting this lovely plastered ceiling and you walked in and there was a line of joint cement down the middle. I have done this a couple of times in the past when my apprentice was at college but i always explained at the time that that was the way i was going to do it as i was on my own. If done right it is faultless but it is not a practice i would use day in day out, just an option i was giving op if the ceiling became to much for him.

I think we all know a decent plasterer who we can call on to help do a large ceiling. I did one with airborne the other week as neither of us would have done it on our own. Have they fitted that bathroom yet? :rolleyes)

I've got to do one next week to! dreading it! rolling gauge is the best way, have a good lab with you makes it alot easier.

Last edited:
did a 150m2 ceiling once, 3 of us and a lab, big church ceiling, was all curved aswell. had to well scaffold it, cause it was 3 bays high lol. 30m2 not a bother,challenge yourself, you will be surprised.

30 squares? Ur having a larf. It's no problem to a plasterer. Tight coat bonding, three progressive bags. C'mon

.once prepared it is a piece of piss to do,,Mix three nice buckets of finish, but do not look at the huge 75kg pile of finish with 40 litres of water in the mix, bang it on quick ,flatten it, clear away old stuff, mix a nice bucket and a half, bang that on, flatten and then you can relax, take your time, flatten,trowel chill...Or hire a real MAN ,A 4m stroker on stilts....

How thick are you putting it on to get through 4 1/2 bags on a 30 m2 ceiling ?

4mm over artex. 4.5 if its bad...one bag does ten meters generally, I was simply making it easy for those from the Shires...

Come on lads, bang it on and go for it . U need to be confident, even 43m2. Its all in the technique and preping, and defo no joint down the middle. Have a break, have a fag, get a coffie and get it under control then get another mix on and blend it in while its still wet if u have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.